Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGZE into an RN85 Hilux Dual Cab 2WD [Beware - lots of pix]

The Lux is being inspected for a Blue Slip tomorrow.

I've prepared a bound booklet with details and photos of all the major work I've undertaken in an effort to streamline the process (and show the engineer how much effort I've put into this ).

Last night I paid my CTP Green Slip (Compulsory Third Party Insurance) so I hope everything goes OK.

I still have a couple of things to tidy up especially the slack on the handbrake cable (it's currently not holding the Lux on any incline ), and the small whine from the gearbox/clutch probably caused by an overlong slave cylinder plunger. I'm also noting a little difficulty in changing gears especially under load. Any ideas anyone?

I still haven't adjusted the brake bias from front to rear as suggested by Robbos_Toyota, mainly because I'm loathe to muck around with something I haven't got a clue about. I know if I drive and brake it's sweet but any hard braking reveals a definite bias to the front. Maybe one of those brake bias proportioning valves is worth investigating but if there's a simpler solution I'll definitely go with that.

Anyway, we'll see how we go. So far I have no complaints about the overall process.

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

OK. This afternoon I bled the clutch again after trying to fit a longer plunger to no effect. So I put the old one back in.

Turned out the noise wasn't gearbox/clutch related. It was the fuel pump. It's developed an obvious whirring noise. Maybe I might replace it at some point.

I adjusted the handbrake cables and found that the driver's side adjusting piston had popped off the brake shoe. I also greased the backing plate and the adjusting pistons to make them easier to adjust. Handbrake works fine now. Took me a couple of goes to get it right. Probably could take another notch or two to really make it secure.

Took the Lux for a quick test drive and everything seemed fine. Just wish the gearchanges were a little smoother.

I'm due at my engineer's workshop at 7:00am!

Cheers,

Peter

That dude with the AE95's Backyard Mechanic Kebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    Turned out the noise wasn't gearbox/clutch related. It was the fuel pump. It's developed an obvious whirring noise. Maybe I might replace it at some point.
    Yeah thats the sound they make. A slight whirring noise unless yours is starting to buzz after it warms up.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

info tech im not sure what gearbox oil you are using but try some castrol vmx80 it makes gearboxes that shift like crap shift nice and smooth again
    also the vibration in the driveline could be to do with your driveline angles check to see what angle the tailshaft goes on if there is any major differences it can cause a vibration
    also happens when you use lowering blocks

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

My last pump and my current Bosh 044 both make that sound. Neither is faulty.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Just as a side issue, I list below a number of RTA Engineering Signatories who I have either spoken to at length or contacted, and my impressions (for what they are worth):

Note that the fees mentioned are only what I have been told by the respective engineers. Figures may differ depending on the individual modifications. These may be a flat fee. Also, in each instance the vehicle had to be delivered to the Engineer's workshop.

All these Engineering Signatories are contained in the RTA document VS! No. 15 which can be downloaded here.

John Varetimidis
    Consulmotive Pty Ltd
    15/17 Lorraine St
    Peakhurst NSW 2210

Ph: (02) 9153 0011
    Fax: (02) 9153 0592
    Mob: 0412 253 973
    Email: [email protected]

John was friendly, very helpful and seemed to be in tune with the ethos of modifying
    Would take a day to do Engineering Certificate

Terry Toomey
    Tandem Chassis Developments
    8 Highgate Place
    Kings Ridge Estate
    Glenwood NSW 2768

Ph: (02) 9629 8449
    Fax: (02) 9629 8500
    Mob: 0408 232 372
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.terrytoomey.com.au

Very thorough in his information to me with many helpful tips, plus outlined everything he would do, and how I should proceed.
    Fee: $165 per hour, plus $45 for Mod Plate and $82.50 for Noise Test
    Have to make a booking but allow 1.5 - 2.0 hours for inspection, and 2 - 3 hours for finalising report. Total: $750 - $1000

Lesley Gunaratnam
    Lita Engineering Consulting Pty Ltd
    4 Bluegum Circuit
    Old Toongabbie NSW 2146

I won't list any other details as Lesley is only available on weekends, and he told me he was fully booked for some time. In other words, he has a day job. He also gave me advice - none of which turned out to be useful (true).

Grahame Senior
    Grahame Senior & Co. Pty Ltd
    37 Niblick Crescent
    Oatlands NSW 2117

No further details for Grahame. I rang the number given in the RTA document above, which could have been his home number, and he was unhelpful (read: very rude and basically intimated that I was impinging on his time). However, he has since been recommended by someone else so maybe I got him at a bad time. I won't be following up with him as first impressions were not good.

David Simons
    Auto Avia Design Pty Ltd
    107 Gipsy St
    Bankstown Airport NSW 2200

David was very hard to track down and I have since learnt that he no longer does RTA Engineering (in fact he hasn't done so for a couple of years so it's about time the RTA cleaned up it's list I think).

There are others on the RTA List but these are the people I have had contact with, one way or another, and that were close to me.

If you live in another state, here's some information you might find useful when looking for an Engineering Signatory, or documents to help you in your project. I found it on one of the 4WD websites (the Four Wheel Drive Club of Australia or something like that)

Vehicle modification information

The links below provide information on requirements when considering modifications or external additions to a vehicle. Due to possible differences between registration authorities the links are listed by State.

New South Wales - RTA

Vehicle Compliance Certification scheme

Protrusions on the front of vehicles

Engineering signatories

Victoria - Vicroads

All VSI information

Queensland - Queensland Transport

Vehicle Standards

If you want to know anything else about my impressions it would be best to PM but basically what I have found is outlined above. You can't say too much in a public forum due to Australian libel laws.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 04-05-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Fee information updated

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Peter

I will be sad to see the project completed. It has been very informative to read this every couple of days to see what you have been up to.

I think we should all chip in and buy you another one just so we can follow your daily adventures.

Congratulations on a job well done.
    Graham D
    Lexus RX350 (no mods yet !!!)
    Lexus IS200 / 2.5GT-T (1JZGTE VVTi + Getrag 6 Speed)
    Lexus IS200 (wife's car and no mods allowed !!!)
    Suzuki GSX750-F

Quote Originally Posted by grahamd
    Peter

I will be sad to see the project completed. It has been very informative to read this every couple of days to see what you have been up to.

I think we should all chip in and buy you another one just so we can follow your daily adventures.

Congratulations on a job well done.
    You do that Graham and I'll personally come 'round and break both your legs.

Thanks for the kind words - I've really enjoyed doing this (and I can say that now but a couple of weeks ago I would have loved to have closed my eyes and have it all vanish. )

I've really enjoyed being part of the Toymods community. I've learnt a lot about Toyotas (being a Honda man really) and putting them together. The interchangability of parts is truly amazing.

In fact I've even sent off my membership and that's something I don't often do.

My only regret is missing the Dubbo Nationals but there's always next year, and at my age, 'next year' is coming 'round too quickly.

Cheers,

Peter

Junior Member Grease Monkey

My conversion was the same - you get about 75% through the job and loose interest.
    Then when you finally finish you wish you had done it a long time ago.
    Enjoy it now.
    Graham D
    Lexus RX350 (no mods yet !!!)
    Lexus IS200 / 2.5GT-T (1JZGTE VVTi + Getrag 6 Speed)
    Lexus IS200 (wife's car and no mods allowed !!!)
    Suzuki GSX750-F

I never really lost interest Graham, just was overwhelmed at times by the enormity of the task I undertook, which wasn't just plonking an engine in a Hilux. I also stripped and repainted it, and did an EFI conversion and a rear disc conversion. But now that its over I am happy to stand back and admire the finished product (for what it is).

As of Monday, 7th May I have an engineered Hilux. I met John out at Consulmotive yesterday to finalise all the paperwork, and collect my report. The Lux is being Blue Slipped later this week and regoed early next week (due to limited finances more than anything else).

So what has happened since my last post?

After ringing John and then another engineer, and then John again, I decided to go with John, who seemed more in tune with what we are doing as a community. The other guy was very "take it or leave it" in attitude, and seemed to be milking the process for more than was needed. John provided a flat fee of $500 to do all the engineering and produce the required reports.

So I made an appointment for Saturday afternoon. The other guy couldn't do anything until this Thursday which was getting on a bit for me (in case something had to be fixed).

I met John at his workshop and presented him with a bound copy of all the information and mods I had done/collected, and went through it with him.

He then checked the Lux over, inside and underneath, asking questions as he went. We then did a brake test (which he was impressed with) and a noise test.

The Lux exhaust measured 88.9dB. That was a bit close but okay. The limit is 90dB.

The only problem I had was the load rating on the wheels and tyres. John suggested changing to Hilux steel rims and Light Truck tyres. This was the only failing point on the Lux. So I promised to fix that and come back Monday afternoon.

That's where all the trouble started.

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    That's where all the trouble started.
    Do go on
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

I went to Pick'n'Payless on Sunday looking for a solution to my wheel/tyre problem.

I couldn't find any Hilux standard wheels but someone told me that Mitsubishi L300 van rims were pretty much the same. I found a van with four wheels and tyres so I removed them (one nut had to be snapped off as it wouldn't come off!). Unfortunately the tyres, even though they were all the same manufacturer, were not going to pass inspection. Two were like new and the other pair were worn - one down the middle and the other on the outer edge.

After asking their price I rejected them. PnP wanted $120. By the time I found two new tyres, had the old ones removed and disposed of, and new ones fitted, it would have been an expensive exercise. As it turned out I made the right decision (eventually).

As I was wandering around the yard I got chatting to another customer. By this time I'd been there over 2 hours. He said he saw some Hilux rims in the back of another vehicle.

I found them but there were only three, which wasn't too bad as I really only needed 3 to go with my spare. The bad news was that all three rims had different, and retreaded, tyres. I grabbed them and wheelbarrowed them up to the checkout. I explained to the guy that I only wanted the rims but he insisted on $150. I thought that was outrageous given the tyres were shite.

So I retreated back into the yard. It's now 3 hours I've been there.

I found four Toyota hub caps. They wanted $20 for these.

I also went back and pulled the chrome dress rims off the L300 wheels. these were $20 as well.

They fitted the Hilux steel wheels nicely.

I gathered about 30 wheels nuts that someone had collected and left in another van. A quick test told me they fitted the Toyota studs. These were $10.

So that was a total of $200 for the wheels and accessories.

I realised there was no way out of this so I bit the bullet and went back up to the checkout, but to another guy who I had bought stuff off the other weekend. I told him what I was doing and he gave me everything for $90 total. A saving of $110 on the other guy.

I got the wheels home (along with a new bonnet for my son's crashed Civic which I strapped to the roof of my Civic) only to find the 14 x 5 Hilux rims didn't fit over the Supra rear disk conversion, no matter how many times I tried to make it fit.

So back I went to Pick'n'Payless at about 4:30pm Sunday. I returned the rims. My back was killing me by now!

Someone at the yard told me rims from an AU Falcon would do the job. I checked them out but couldn't find any in the yard with decent tyres, even on the utes. But I did find some on the wheel rack near the exit, sans tyres, which was good.

They measured 15 x 6 and were in good condition. So I took them to the counter and after some to and froing on the price, did a direct swap for the Lux rims (the same guy that sold me the Lux rims - nice guy!).

I got the wheels home - three silver ones and one black one. I swapped the fourth silver one for the black one as the the former had a bit of a gutter scrape on the outer rim.

I set about scrubbing them clean, then a light sand, and a few quick coats with Septone Wheel Silver. They came up nicely and I could let them dry overnight. I was determined to get back to John on Monday so it meant getting up Monday morning and doing a ring-around for tyre prices.

I checked Beaurepaires, Bob Jane T Marts, Jobsons, Brooks and a couple of smaller places. Because I'd gone for a one-up size from standard all the tyres were double in price. The cheapest I could get were a set of Goodyears for $140 each but when I arrived to get them fitted mid morning they had forgot to order them. So back to the phone and I sourced some Yokohama 818s for $160 each.

These were fitted by lunchtime and then I went straight out to Peakhurst to catch up with John. He okayed everything after checking some measurements including the caliper bracket on the rear, and rechecked the engine mounts.

So I got home about 5:00pm a happy man. Poorer but happy.

I now have my Engineer's Report covering my mods and engine conversion. John was very complimentary and I would certainly recommend his services to anyone thinking about doing any mods to their Toyota.

I'll be getting a wheel alingment next week too, just to finish off.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 09-05-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Changed Hilux rim width

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

??????????

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

The el stockos didn't fit over the rear brakes I'll bet.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ecotechilux
    ??????????
    Wwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt ttttttttttt????????????

And. no, you need either 15 x 6 or if you get 14s they need to be a different offset so won't be Hilux rims of that era. Easier to go with the 15s. The AU Falcon rims look pretty good actually, and easily clear the rear caliper conversion.

Cheers,

Peter