Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1JZ-GTE into 77 corona (RT104?)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1JZ-GTE into 77 corona (RT104?)

Hey Guys,
    My mate has finally got off his ass and is keen to finish off his RT104 corona that he was given from his grandma.

Now he wanted to go down the V6 bommodore motor path, but I have given him a few words of wisdom and brought him back to the toyota inline 6's.

So now for the questions;

Whats needed to fit a 1JZ into a 1977 model corona?

What DIY brake upgrades can be done to it?

Whats the easiest diff conversion (bang for buck)?

Another friend had a RA40 celica with a 1GG in it, and from memory all it needed was a spacer plate on one mount to bolt the motor in.

If this was similiar that would make this alot easier.

Anyway, cheers for the help.

Martin
    One day - KE20 + FJ20et + 2 speed powerglide.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ-GTE into 77 corona (RT104?)

I think you & your mate are aiming a little high.
    Getting a 1JZ into a RT104 will be a massive (and expensive) project... it will not be easy.
    It also will not be street legal.

A 1G-GTE would be a much better choice.

Thanks for the constructive comments......

Can you elaborate on why we are aiming to high?

RTA in nsw have recently made changes to power to weight calculations to cars over 800kg.

Admittedly I haven't done the sums but since im pretty sure the car came out with a 2.0L, i'm hoping that will accomodate the 2.5L turbo under NSW law, if not, the 1G will be the solution.

Anyway, back to the point of the topic, does anyone have info on fitting a toyota inline 6 into a RT104 corona?

Can anyone tell me the exact weight of a RT104 corona from the factory?

I just called my mate and he said from memory it was between 900 and 1000kg.

I guessed it at around 910kg.

Therefore based on the RTA's new figures for cars for engine conversions (below);

910 x 2.75 = 2502CC

Based on the 1JZGTE capacity of 2491cc, if his corona weighs at least 906kg that will make it 2491.5 cc

So, can anyone confirm the factory weight of a 77 model RT104 corona?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Factory weight for memory is about 1290kg.
    Cheers Brett.

Damn!

Yeah I thought the 900kg was a bit conservative, but didnt think it was that much.

Oh well, if its 1290kg, then engineering shouldn't be a issue if we can get a decent brake setup on there.

cheers for the info, can anyone else point me in the right direction for info on these things?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

1290 sounds way too high. An RA23 Celica is less than 1100 and it's similar in many ways, including engine and drivetrain. I really can't see the RT104 being 200kg heavier just for being a 4-door.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

My xt130 with 1jz weighs in at 1180kg after conversion, big diff, brakes, stripped interior. Never weighed it prior to conversion but I was told 1060kg.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Ok, ill elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilladat
    Whats needed to fit a 1JZ into a 1977 model corona?
    The engine bay is short.
    Will require moving the radiator forward a decent amount and maybe firewall mods.

What DIY brake upgrades can be done to it?
    You might be on your own here... i cant remeber anyone doing vented rotor / bigger caliper upgrades on a RT104.

Whats the easiest diff conversion (bang for buck)?
    Youll need a G-series to handle the power.
    So a youll have to get a Hilux diff and have it cut down to the correct width.
    Youll also need a lot fo rear suspension mods to handle the power as RT104's have the most simple rear suspsension possible (ie, only leaf springs, no panhard, control rods, etc).
    Without mods youll be hopping around all over the place.

Another friend had a RA40 celica with a 1GG in it, and from memory all it needed was a spacer plate on one mount to bolt the motor in.
    If this was similiar that would make this alot easier.
    Its not... mounts are a lot different with a JZ.
    Youll have to weld up your own mounts and maybe play with the engine xmember/sump.

Still keen?
    If you are, good luck... im a fan of RT104s, would be great to see a 1JZ in one.
    Although it will be very scary.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

my RT132 corona(being a liftback, it'd have to be heavier than an RT104) weighed in at 1170kg.

this is just to give you an idea of it's weight.
    beer me!

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Take your the car to the weighbridge and get it weighed. You'll need a printout of that for engineering anyway.

Brakes - easy enough - the generic Peugeot/Hilux caliper conversion will work, although you may need to shim out the steering arm.
    As for diff, need to see what the leaf centre to centre distance is. RN41 Hilux is 1000mm exactly so if you're lucky, might be the same in an RT104. Might be a quasi bolt in proposition.

Your biggest headache will be getting it in the engine bay. Sure, you can move the radiator to the front of the radiator support panel but not sure if you'll have enough room for a decent intercooler. Maybe a single or twin core slimline modern aluminium radiator could work (Hyundai/Commodore)? Steering box will foul the rear turbo too.

Seriously though, if you're asking these questions, you (and/or your mate) are probably already out of your depth. I would have thought a tape measure, a trip to the local engine importer and casual use of the search function would have answered all of your questions thus far.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 23-12-2006 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    Seriously though, if you're asking these questions, you (and/or your mate) are probably already out of your depth. I would have thought a tape measure, a trip to the local engine importer and casual use of the search function would have answered all of your questions thus far.
    Appreciate the input from everyone, but no I dont think i'm out of my depths.

It's my mates car who I don't live particularly close to (so cruising round and measuring shit at the moment being christmas and all isnt exactly top of my list), and this was just a post to see if anyone had done this before.

Out of my depths? I dont think so, I just come from a datsun background (I have a fj20et in a 73 180b coupe which I built myself), but alas, I still feel the love for the old school toyo's as well. Welding engine mounts is not a issue, neither is sump mods, but if someone has done this or something similiar before and they are willing to provide the info before i get out there with a tape measure, then all the more better for me.

Back on topic, I'll check the width of the diff, one good thing is my mate has already restored the body and professionaly flared the rear guards using heat and a small panelbeating hammer, awesome job and has given approximately an extra inch each side, so that will all help with the right offset wheels.

I will advise him against firewall mods. but slimline radiator, electric water pump and water-to-air intercooler im hoping would solve alot of room issues. With the turbo fouling, that wouldn't be a issue as i'd recommend changing to a single turbo setup for simplicity and room.

Merry christmas.

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

well's all i can say is im this cars new owner and once ive found the rest of the stuff i need to get it in one piece im looking to put something like a 1ggte in it given the 22r isnt worth rebuilding+efi+turbo a 1g would be a smarter option sussing out a few similar vintage celica's sporting 1g conversions using the 22r's steel mounts should fit the block and sit it roughly where it needs to be but its all theory for now untill i find a motor.

godzilladat let your mate know ive got her running again should look pretty sweet once come toyotafest i would myself but i lost his number lol!
    RT104 with 4AGTE

Some assembly required

Forum Member

hi there ! I just want to know your ride come on road or still working on it ! if comes then which moter you put it ?
    Actually i have RT40 1966 & I am planing to put 1GGTE twin turbo intercooler & I brought moter as well but trying to find best Diff 4 my corona!
    So pls any suggetion will be apprated....
    thanks !

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

still working on it.......has gone from an 18rc to an 18rg and ive got a gen 3 1ggte out of a soarer just chilling in the garage till i can find a front sump and gearbox.
    as for the diff my gaurds were flared out so i need a wider track anyway, ill be looking at a volvo diff conversion possibly if i cant get my dads old 9 inch out of his old cortina
    measure how wide the diff is then go find either a volvo or hilux diff the housings can be shortened if need be you just have to find somebody to do it
    RT104 with 4AGTE

Some assembly required