Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Sh*t TA22 Steering Improvement!!!

Got your ute back Nath Grease Monkey 75Ta22LT's Avatar

Default Holy Sh*t TA22 Steering Improvement!!!

Me being one that doesn't want something to break at 100kms/h+ have so far left my steering components the hell alone!

There was however, a fair amount of free play in the steering wheel, roughly 1/5 of a turn.
    After playing around with a spare steering box, and isolating that it was indeed the cause of free play in my one, I managed to work out how to tighten the sucker up (lacking a manual of any shape or form of cause). I'm sure all this is documented elsewhere, but here it is anyway.

-Crack the lock nut on top, wind it outwards 3-4 turns. (mine needed about 8 rotations)
    -There is a threaded screw with a flat head screwdriver mount on top of the box, screwing this clockwise will tighten the internal gearing of the steering box.Be careful not to overtighten the gearing, this will do more damage than if it was loose.
    -Tighten up the lock nut at the desired position, keep the screwdriver in place so as to not throw out your adjustments..

I had not had this adjusted since buying the car, and pretty much put the free play down to the massive roo that got mashed under the left hand side last year. damage extended to the chassis rail itself, which had to be pulled slightly.

My god, for 10 minutes work, its the best handling improvement, I didn't think that anything with 165mm tread could handle that crazy!!!!

My understeering problem has pretty much dissapeared, the wheels are now nice and firm when coming into a corner, instead of vibrating like all shit and losing traction.

Anyone with a TA/RA series should check this out first if free play is experienced.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

Default Re: Holy Sh*t TA22 Steering Improvement!!!

ive been meaning to do this for about 6 months also...pretty easy!...im just lazy...

blake

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Nice work, but you should also check your steering idler arms, pitman arm and bushes for wear. If they've never been replaced then these will be getting quite worn and you don't want to mask the problem by adjusting the steering box.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Be careful when tightening this adjusting screw up... over tightening it will mean VERY rapid steering box wear.

Also make sure that the steering box is full (almost to the filler nut) of good oil.
    A decent diff oil like a 80W will do fine.

If you want to go that bit further, its a good idea to pull the box out, flush it out with petrol a few times to get all the old oil out and put new 80W oil back in.
    Itll get rid of grit and steel pariticles that have built up over 30yrs.

Got your ute back Nath Grease Monkey 75Ta22LT's Avatar

Cheers guys, hadn't considered changing the oil!

I have bought new tie rod ends, and ball joints. Still searching out a new idler arms/pitman arm.

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

So for noobs....were do we find the steering box on a ta22??????
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suss_slide
    Woah, very n00b

The big black steel box under the brake master cylinder.

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suss_slide
    the easiest way to find the steering box is to follow the column from the steering wheel and you will find it at the end
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

help- i did all this stuff, when i cleaned and painted my ra23's box(she's high maintanence)
    now ive got an oil leak that i cant stop.
    it looks like its coming from the top of the steering arm, where it goes into the bottom of the box. if anyone know what this is or what i can do about it anyinfo would be much appreciated
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

pull it apart and change the seal at the bottom of the shaft.
    the bushes inide the steering box might be worn into an oval also, but a new seal will help...
    it's probably a column out affair tho
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sleeektoy's Avatar

the easiest way to tell you have overtightened the screw is if you jack it up turn lock to lock on the car(with the wheels removed) and see if it gets tighter to turn at any point. Usually in a worn box - just each side of straight ahead there will be a bit of "tightness" due to it predominantly being used within the 1st 1/2 of a turn. Good thick oil helps a lot too

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I tightened mine up & toped up the oil a few years ago now, but I managed to find proper steering box oil (I think it was penrite?), and I'll tell you what, it was alot thicker than 80W gear oil! It would have been something like 200W, it was thicker & stickier than treacle. It made it a prick to put in, but a fat-ass syringe helped do the job. Mine was quite low on oil as well, so I also highly recommend checking the oil & tightening up the box.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

so what about the one in the car big perm.hehehehehehehe

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo Domestic Engineer joey's Avatar

I must say the steering box has to be in one of the shittest positions to get to in my engine bay, impossible to get to with the carbies and manifold on aswell as a few other bits and pieces, not to mention it's covered in about 3mm of oil and sludge Ohwell time to end my bitching and get my hands dirty!
    Mr Shabadoo.
    Joeys 1975 TA22 - the weird lookin' front one....
    Daily JZX100

New additions: RA23 Circuit racer. 180sx drift box. R32 GTR Daily. MS65 Crown cruiser.

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

cheers old rolla,
    ill pull it apart tomorrow night and have a looksee.
    p.s if you reckon the box is hard to access with an 18r you should try it with a 1g
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.