Thread: time for homies to roll on LSD

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default time for homies to roll on LSD

hi all,

was driving my car yesterday, when 3rd gear finally broke the straw on the GZE's back. Synchros completely gone in the box, the gearstick can only move in a up and down motion. box was stock 4ag one which had done 298k's.

i guess its time for that new box to go in, just wondering which is good.

i can get a e58 nonlsd one for $450 with the driveshafts. but i really really want to put the LSD one in, but i hear it will cost me an arm and a leg, mainly being that lsd driveshafts are as rare as 3 titted ladies on mars. i was informed that if i want to ADD an LSD to the E58, that is possible, but i'll hav to change the driveshafts anyway.

how much would labor be roughly for a gearbox install? more importantly, is it possible to do a gearbox install myself, if i have the harness to pull the engine out?

the car is an ae92/93 corolla hatch sx.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    ... arse-hattery is a common genetic defect.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default FWD Corolla LSD Options

Quote Originally Posted by sluggish
    i was informed that if i want to ADD an LSD to the E58, that is possible, but i'll hav to change the driveshafts anyway.
    Not quite. If you want to add the factory style LSD, then yes you will need the factory style LSD driveshafts, which as you've pointed out are hard to find (3 titted ladies on Mars are easier, especially given that Mars has no radiation protection in the form of atmosphere - hello birth defects!).

If however you decide to take an aftermarket LSD option, then you can simply retain the non LSD driveshafts - the advantage to this option is two fold:

1: you can install the box now and be mobile again, and save up to buy the LSD at a later date.
    2: The aftermarket LSD (typically a plate LSD) will perform much better than the factory LSD, and will probably be cheaper to rebuild when the time comes too!

Actually changing the gearbox over will be fairly easy for anyone with suitable mechanical knowledge, and no, you wont need to remove your engine to do so.

This is more an answer for people searching info to this question, as I believe you've identified your current broken gearbox also as a E series now?

Default Re: time for homies to roll on LSD

Where about are you from????
    I have an lsd for an ae92 ze box which i was to install in my ze box but when i took it to the gearbox place to get it put in it already had the exact same lsd in it by absolute coincidence and if you get an aftermarket lsd for the box you will not need to change the drive shafts as the lsd is made for that box thus the drive shafts it comes with aswell.
    If your near by newcastle i could prob help you out abit with a g/b change as i have done this neumerous times for both 4age corollas and gt starlets and it really aint that hard.
    The lsd i have is a cusco MZ clutch type and it the guy i bought it off say it had done about 18000kms on an mr2 before he smashed it.
    PM me if your interested.

Nick

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

check his location
    WA..
    express post is fast
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

i thought his current box would be a C52 box... ?

im prob wrong though, im new to these 4A motors
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

Mmm express posting a gearbox? Good plan!!!

*cough**burp* Waiter, send me another round...

Goodnight.

Oh, - to be helpful, your gearbox will just drop out from underneath the car. It's not all that difficult, apparently - though I am yet to do it (gimme a couple of days and I will have though )
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktopspirit
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

Was talking about sluggish.......
    Says NSW but asking where in NSW???????
    EP82 GT STARLET
    PROJECT CAR AE92 COROLLA 4AGTE - Comming soon

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

posting the gearbox isnt a drama, use a courier company, will do it very quickly.. and pretty cheap.
    changing gearbox isnt the biggest drama in the world either.
    i am sending a gearbox from Coffs Harbour to Adelaide for about 200 or so. thats over 2000 Kms
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers