Thread: GZ10 to 7MGE manual

Low rep Grease Monkey

Default GZ10 to 7MGE manual

Know of a clean GZ10 rolling shell that I'm considering buying. Previously 1G auto.

Could someone lay down a basic list(and approx cost if possible) of parts I would need to have the 7MGE running with manual box... Could I adapt a 6Mge loom? Can I run the auto 7M ecu?

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: GZ10 to 7MGE manual

Get MZ10 front Xmember - 7M should bolt in assuming correct sump. The simplest option would be to use a 7M loom and ECU and ECT. You could do a range of other things like run a 5ME ECU modified 5M dizzy with an MX62 4 speed (auto which doesn't need the ECT) but it just won't be as nice as the 7M control unit.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Well he says he wants manual so no need for MX62 auto.

The easiest way would be to purchase a 7M + electronics + box from an MA70, then all you need is a front sump and an M series crossmember (both of which can be obtained from an MZ10 or MA61) and you're good to go.

You probably could adapt the electronics from an earlier M series engine but it's not worth stuffing around. The 7M electronics are very simple so you won't have much trouble getting it to work in an MZ10, and obviously the engine will run much better this way. Yes you can use an auto ECU with a manual box.

Low rep Grease Monkey

Im aiming at doing most if not all of the mechanical work myself with the limited knowledge I have. Electrics I would leave to a proffesional .If I buy the car for 800 would it be possible to have it running for 2-2.5k? What transmission mount would fit?

Low rep Grease Monkey

Also taking into account it was 1GEU single cam, should wiring in the 7MGE loom be pretty straight forward?
    Last edited by gx71_chaser; 29-05-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

So buy car for 800 and have running for 2.5K? You'd be leaving yourself 1.7K to get a motor, box, wiring, tailshaft and other incidentals. If you did it all yourself and got the motor-box combo for a bargain then maybe, but I think you're dreaming.

Your auto elec would need to know what he was doing. Would be a case of splicing the 7MGE loom into the GZ10 loom - not terribly hard if you just want it running but if you want that factory look, then it's quite time consuming. If you want to do stupid shit like what I was mentioning above, then it all adds to degree of difficulty.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Not to mention you would have to live with the ever looming thought of a BHG - not that its put off other people but its another cost that you more than likely wont have the funds to cover should it happen recently after the conversion.

And if you are going to the trouble of a manual 7M-GE, why not go for something a little decent like a 2JZ-GE.

Also, any reason why you want to go for a GZ10 apart for the fact its cheap?

Low rep Grease Monkey

Ok looks like the deal will go ahead. 600 with manual tailshaft and cluch pedal. Its a clean base with almost no rust. Aiming to build it full bosozoku style... Power isn't a high priority atm, just as long as its manual and I can slide 2nd I'm happy.

So engine with loom and ecu 500
    box and bellhousing 500
    Wiring 500
    Mounts 200

What am I missing??

Low rep Grease Monkey

Also would have the head re-torqued before engine goes in

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Pretty easy conversion.

8102-8203 GZ10 xmember is listed in the EPC as being different to MZ1x, so if yours is later than that you should be fine in regards to xmember... otherwise I'm not sure what the difference is...

7M will bolt in with the right metal / rubber engine mounts (i.e. MZ1x, MA61 or MX62 [maybe mx62] spring to mind as what should work). There maybe some dicking around getting the passenger side engine mount to fit as the 7m had a cast AC bracket vs 5M pressed steel? Or something along those lines if I recall...

You will want a front sump.

You will want an M series bellhousing clutch etc

You will want a W5x with the MA61, RA6x shifter position. You will need to cut the tunnel slight in front of the auto shifter hole as the auto and manual body is different in that section. No biggie

Use a MA61, RA6x front half of the tailshaft.

Use MA61, RA6x manual gearbox xmember.

Use MA61, SA63, ST142 etc hard clutch line.

Use MA61, SA63, RA6x clutch master cyl (Cheap new if needed) ,clutch pedal and brake pedal.

Use MA61 or SA63 clutch slave cyl... (Cheap new if needed)

Powersteering High pressure line goes close to fitting if I recall... (in MZ10 at least)

The wiring is pretty straight forward....I'd really try and use the 7mge ECU and loom. I see no reason not to...

Hope this helps

ps, don't for the love of god pay $200 for engine mounts! You should be able to get them much cheaper than that...in fact I might have a set...?(would need to check)

Cheers
    Wilbo

Low rep Grease Monkey

Thnks so much! Wxactly the sort of info I needed... Will check the cross-member when it gets here. Won't be running aircon.

200 was allowing for the gearbox mount as well.

The mention of 2J has me podering though,