Thread: ep91 starlet, air-bag light staying on !!!

i wish i was a Grease Monkey boos_rolla's Avatar

Default ep91 starlet, air-bag light staying on !!!

hey guys,
    so here goesmy g/f bought a '98 ep91 starlet' and got all the usual stuff done to it,u know rims,suspension, full exhuast and a few other bolt ons including an alarm/immobiliser.
    now since the alarm has been installed the airbag light stays on constantly and as i dont have the original book for the car and being a dedicated ke rolla man i am lost as too why this is staying on and it is giving me the poo`s when im driving at night.....

thanks guys any help is much appreciated

cheers,
    chris

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Default Re: ep91 starlet, air-bag light staying on !!!

Get a screw driver, point it at the offending light and bash it with a hammer. Also works for check engine lights and low fuel level lights.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

0402727834 Grease Monkey turbo ke20's Avatar

this is where the hit and miss approach gets thrown out the window. you'll be spending a f#$king fortune buying stuff.
    what you need to do is go to a GOOD auto sparky with a scanner and they will have to check for any codes and see if they are erasable.
    but for the bad news....its an import and there is a chance that the scanner will read the data.
    first things i'd is check all connections to the battery, earths and air bag module etc... ive seen commodores with fault codes up the ying yang caused by loose earth connections.
    so take it step by step.

hope this helps you, if worst comes to worst you can do the dodgy job and take out the globe but im pretty sure all lights have to be operating on the dash for rego checks

justin

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Take it back to whoever did the alarm and tell them to fix it, if it only started after they put the alarm in they have probably wired something wrong. If you did it yourself then check where you have connected stuff to.

Callum

Nay sayer Domestic Engineer Mr Ed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo ke20
    this is where the hit and miss approach gets thrown out the window. you'll be spending a f#$king fortune buying stuff.
    what you need to do is go to a GOOD auto sparky with a scanner and they will have to check for any codes and see if they are erasable.
    but for the bad news....its an import and there is a chance that the scanner will read the data.
    first things i'd is check all connections to the battery, earths and air bag module etc... ive seen commodores with fault codes up the ying yang caused by loose earth connections.
    so take it step by step.

hope this helps you, if worst comes to worst you can do the dodgy job and take out the globe but im pretty sure all lights have to be operating on the dash for rego checks

justin
    I dont know about Corollas but on my car I can put it into diagnostics mode and read the codes using a paper clip.
    I used to eat alot of natural foods. That was until I learned that most people died of natural causes.

GT4 Insane Backyard Mechanic 1gt48u's Avatar

if an airbag sensor is disturbed for any reason ie the steering wheel is removed
    or a related component is unpluged, and then somebody turns the ignition on
    ( as most alarm guys do when testing a alarm) it will trigger a fault code and the light will
    remain on. This is most probably whats happened.
    you will need to go to someone with an appropriate scan tool and have the code reset
    its that easy - DONT remove the globe if people tell you to do that
    not only is it against the law, the airbag is there for a reason and a warning light
    is piece of mind

my 2 cents

cheers
    Troy

ST185 GT4