Thread: Fitting Wheels from another vehicle

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question Fitting Wheels from another vehicle

Hey guys i have just bought a nissan pulsar 99 model n15 for my daily driver, my freind has some mag wheels which were on his 95-96 ford laser.

I can get them off him for fairly cheap, just wondering if anyone can tell me a way to find out if they will fit straight on or offsets will be different.

Thanks alot

Jason

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Fitting Wheels from another vehicle

Find out or measure the PCD of the car (diagonal between wheel studs for 4 stud car) it will either be 4 x 114.3 or 4 x 100 (probably this one)
    Most FWD cars have a similar large positve offset so chances are they will fit.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

just see if they fit

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, im pretty sure that both of those are 4x100, and high offset. The only cars with 4x114.3 around that time were the Excels et.al. from mmeory.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

yeah just remove one of his tyres....remove one of your tyres...if fits it fits.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

yeah it cost me alot of money to find out about this stuff (as i bought mags that wouldn't fit then sold them for less because i needed money)

Basically as people have said try them on, try one of the front ones as if the front is ok the rear def will be however if rears fit fronts sometimes won't. i also thought there was something to do with RWD and FWD offsets, as in you have a FWD and iff these wheels are off a RWD the tyres will wear wrong, can someone confirm of deny this???
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

Depends on the offset. Find out what offset your car is and find out what offset the wheels are.
    Try this site.http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html It shows you how to check the offset. That said it is easier to put them on and you will know straight away. Just make sure you go for a ride as sometimes the offsets can cause scrapping depending on how the car is driven.

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4DaDrift
    if the offset is wrong you may find they foul important parts of your front end or rear end and cause a chatastrophic failre (think brakes puncture and susupension in the one area
    WTF, how are you going to puncture your brake caliper if your tyres/wheels scrub ?
    if the pcd is wrong , you may fidn they sit wrong and vibrate off !
    If the PCD is wrong, you wont be able to fit the wheel to the hub at all.... let alone do it up.
    another one to consider is the hub as this centres the rims and if its not flush you may find all kinds of geometry problems
    No, the hub itself doesnt centre the wheels, the hub extension does. Anyway if the wheel isnt flush to the hub youll know about it with wheels coming off not geometry problems

another to consider is you may need new nuts for either the lenght or the actual hole the nuts goes in being bigger/smaller than whay you have which once again comes back to the balance...
    The nuts being of a different type (acorn taper vs shank nut) wont make any difference to the balance of the wheel. If you are having balance issues then you should balance the wheels.
    If the nut isnt getting enough thread then you need longer wheel studs, not different nuts.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

hehe ---> 4dadrift
    I think you need to look at the site i posted it will give you a better idea of how wheels are setup as takai pointed out.

The centre hole can effect also as some Jap wheels have a very small centre and the wheel will not sit properly, only the real expensive rims. I've only seen it once on a set of TOMs rims.

Also in relation to the nuts depending on the wheel your standard nuts may not fit and you may just need to get narrower nuts where the rims have a narrow hole. You jsut won't be able to fit them in and you will know when you see them. Most tyre place stock these or Autobarn sell a nice set with a key for about $50 which is where i got mine.

A thing to note with the inverted nut style, or as most people know them Allen key style, is that you need to carry around a key or device to remove them with as the standard wheel brace cant remove them (as limbo was referring to).
    My personal preference is to carry a breaker bar and the appropriate "socket". Generally costs about $10 more than the key alone, but the "socket" is generally made to much higher tolerances than the cheap keys from tyre shops or Autobarn. I paid $12 for my Kinchrome socket, and then $7 for my breaker bar. I also carry a crossbar and standard key which cost me about the same again.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

check it out yo.

TOYmods.

but i know the n14 pulsar is 4x100 and fits AE82 wheels perfectly, as we've done it.

and the laser wheels fit the corolla so it should work.

Eldar.O.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

talk a bout beating a dead horse....
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

haha nice one Eldar
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?