Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GZ20 auto to maunal conversion

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

Default GZ20 auto to maunal conversion

Well i've been thinking about it and thinking about it and thinking about it. I think i am going to go for a W58 behind my 1G. I was pondering 1jz like everone but atm just going manual on the 1G sonds like the better choice. Being only 19 and all, insurance will ream my ass with a 1jz. Also financialy this will be feasible in the very near futre, like right now compared to a 1jz.

Anyway just to clarify what parts i'll need:
    G/MA70 series W58
    matching slave and master cylinders
    W58 1G bellhousing
    gearbox crossmember
    clutch, pressure plate and flywheel
    plus all lines and clutch and break pedal
    50mm extended drive shaft

If there is anything else could someone tell me thanks.

Now could someone give me the order in removing and then installing parts.
    i.e. raise car on axle stands.
    place jack under auto box.
    unbolt tailshaft yoke
    remove bolts from stall bellhousing for auto box?
    remove auto crossmember
    lower auto box.

Am on the right track?

Ahh, couple more questions:
    How would it be recomended that the shifter suround be modified? Are the manual ones available from toyta at resonable prices? Lol a bit of an oxymoran lol, toyota, resonable price hehe.

Also i would like to retain the cruise control functions, so what electrical modifications will be required. And will the speedo be out once the manual is installed.

Thanks guys, any info is greatly appreciated.

Show Us Your Tints Carport Converter Soarer_D00D's Avatar

Default Re: GZ20 auto to maunal conversion

Hey mate, there was a guy on the old toymods foum, or "possibly" this one who was selling a complete manual conversion kit for a GZ20, including every part needed for $2k.
    Including the custom tailshaft and whatever else needed.I can see if i can find his name for ya if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    yeah jump start a planet sort of torque

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Big Rob, i have done this entire conversion except the wiring side of things...I didnt bother with reverse lights on mine as its a track car and they arent necessary.

I also did it via an R154 conversion but I would imagine the W58 wouldnt be much different.

The complete and utter list of parts you will need is below:

W58 Gearbox
    1GGTE Manual Flywheel or 3T flywheel (if you can deal with running a smaller clutch)
    1GGTE - W5X bellhousing
    1GGTE Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate
    MA70/GA/JZA Clutch Pedal
    Cut Down Brake Pedal or MA70/GA/JZA brake pedal (cut down is a forkload easier and works fine, engineer didnt have issues with it either as long as the rubber pad covers it fine)
    MA70/GA/JZA Master Cylinder
    W58 Slave Cylinder
    W58 - 1GGTE Clutch Fork
    New Thrust Bearing (always change this as its a $5 part but takes 4 hours of gearbox removal to change)
    500ml of Brake and Clutch Fluid
    2.5 Litres of VMX80 Gearbox Oil
    about 1.2 Metres of Braided Line Plus fittings for Master and Slave Cylinder (this is not necessary but looks cool, doesnt need to be bent up or flared and gives better clutch pedal feel IMO)
    W58 gearbox X member
    Lengthend Tailshaft
    Clutch Aligning Tool, or appropriate broomstick
    Loctite

Also a good idea to do the rear main seal on the 1GGTE while the box is out as leaking oil can fuxor your clutch quickly...

Fitting hints...

When fitting the pedals you have too be aware that there is a lot of carpet and underlay you have too pull back, I had to cut a lof of underlay to make provision for the clutch pedal so a stanley knife and torch will be needed and be careful not to cut yoursefl.

An easy way of finding where you have to be with the pedal is to get a mate to pull the grommets out for the master cylinder and push it through while you are under the dash having a look, the bolts on the master that bolt to the clutch pedal are tough bastards and should be able to make you a hole in the underlay no worries, then you just need to cut a section around that and bobs yer uncle

A trans jack will make light work of fitting the new W58 and removing the A340E as they are both heavy bastards and borrowing one or buying one would be ideal...thankfully all of the clutch changes on my 1JZ have involved the engine being out of the car...im not looking forward to removing an R154 from the car

Clutch aligning tool is on the parts list for a reason...make sure you use it...

Also dont forget to loctite the flywheel bolts and the bolts that hold the bellhousing to the gearbox

I think so far thats everything I know and all I can help you out with, I have no idea on the cruise control but I think cruszida was on the right track in the soarer owners tread
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

thanks mr 1jz. Is the thrust bearing needed in a W58? I thought it was just an isolated problem with the R154 or was that thrust washer?
    I also went to toyrolla and called toyospares today. THese guys have no idea, it seems like they are dealing with idiots bolting W58 to there commowhores etc.
    Anyway they wanted $550 and $600 just for the box respectivly and only one of them could supply a 1G bellhousing for $150 and didntnt have any other parts. Man they would only refer to them as 'supra boxes' not W58 or W.. as they proberly dont know what that is lol.

Could anyone give me an idea in melbourne where to look for such parts. I have heard this conversion is possible for less than $1000 but at the moment doesnt look good.

Thanks

Junior Member Grease Monkey mz20_2jz's Avatar

if this hasnt beed said already, u will need a spigot bearing/bush.. should only cost bout $4..
    MZ20 Soarer + 2jzgte =

easily doable for under $1000...if you shop around...a wrecker is not where you want to go...

go to pick-a-part and rip a box out of an RA60 it should be a W57 and should be fine behind the 1G....

bellhousing is worth $50 at most...

i refer to the trust bearing as the bearing that sits in the middle of the pressure plate on the clutch and connects to the clutch fork...
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

yeah thats what i thought, easily doable under $1000. I just thought these places would be good to start with as they are toyota wreckers etc. I dont believe the guy even new what i was talking about when i said G/MA70. He even said you'll proberbly need a universal bellhousing like they use on a commore setup. I was thinking WTF you have no idea. Ahh i hate dealing with people that dont know their product, as it usually means you'll get ripped off and an inferior product.

Also can anyone recomend any general online information on removing and installing auto's and manuals so i can get a really thorough idea on the whole process. Clutches scare me and i dont know how it all goes together lol.

Also in regards to W57/8, is it just the alloy or stell sandwhich plate which is the only differnce between the two? Are the capable of similar power handling? After this is done i will know if a 1G possibly with a larger single will be enough for me or if i want to go 1JZ mwahhhhhh.

Thanks guys, mr 1JZ you have been rewarded for your soarer services.

Lol, toymods converting one soarer at a time.

cya

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

shit, i just spent ages searching the old forums and what i was searching for was in the first 10 posts of the new forums! my mate has gz20 and he two wants to go auto - manual. the only problem is he wants a r154 is it at all posible to bolt one to a 1ggte? other wise ill print of the parts list above and send him off to the wreckers!
    sorry for the little hijack.

craig, no point putting an R154 behind a 1GGTE it will be costly and overkill especially seeing you need a custom bellhousing and custom = big $$

glad you found the info you needed now be a sport and share around the rep
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    craig, no point putting an R154 behind a 1GGTE it will be costly and overkill especially seeing you need a custom bellhousing and custom = big $$

glad you found the info you needed now be a sport and share around the rep
    yea thats what i thought (overkill) and yes the rep has been shared! cheers for the reply.

i may have come across everything i will need. But possibly everything besides the clutch pedal, lines and slave/master cylinders. Anyway, i have been told to get thrust bearing, rear and main seals etc. Where can i buy these?
    Now time to look into seeing where and how much it will cost to get my tailshaft lengthend.

Cheers

any clutch shop can sell you a thurst bearing, they are about $5 when you buy a clutch, rear and main seals can be gotten from toyota

shouldnt cost more than $20 each...

full brand new 1 peice tailshaft from Adelaide Tailshaft Services cost me $190 when using my old uni joints, which were fine...and it was lengthened about 80mm (not definitie and mine was for an R154) so you should be paying around that

go a 1 peice and never worry about blown centre bearings again
    Project Soarer II - Sold

haha, you answered like a new thred i just opened lol. Mr 1jz, at the moment, it looks as i may be getting a whole engine package real cheap with a manual, and hten reseallign everthing off that i dont need. So if i use hte clucth already on there and it isnt fubar then i guess i wont need to relpace the thrust bearing or would you still reconed that?

Oh, just out of curiosity, are you going to be competeing in any drift events in victoria this year. Would love to come see you car go round the track?

always replace the thrust bearing...its $5 and a minutes work

ill be heading interstate this year for comps and i definitiely want to compete in VIC...winton raceway looks like the go for the Formula Drift series
    Project Soarer II - Sold

well i'll try and make sure i get there, would love to see the car and meet the man behind australia's first red and black bosu/boro drift soarer. Thanks for the help and i'll let yuo no whats to go with this manual box.