Thread: Grande LSD

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Grande LSD

Hey guys,

Almost got the diff out of the grande wreck that I purchased. I was looking at the code that is on the diff (left hand side of the case) and it's Fxxxx something. Is this diff LSD? I thought all grandes came with LSD?

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

Default Re: Grande LSD

Quote Originally Posted by PureHell
    Hey guys,

Almost got the diff out of the grande wreck that I purchased. I was looking at the code that is on the diff (left hand side of the case) and it's Fxxxx something. Is this diff LSD? I thought all grandes came with LSD?
    Yeah they do, so don't worry unless it's been changed prior. It should have a red sticker on the back that says 'LSD oil only' or something similar. Best way to tell is to hold the diff drive shaft flange so it won't turn then rotate one side axle and see what the other side does. If the axle on the other side turns in the same direction(from the same perspective) it's a LSD. If it's turns in the opposite direction then it is a normal open diff. If it's hard to turn by hand than that a good sign the clutch plates inside are not totally stuffed. A normal open diff is much easier to turn by hand.
    MX83 1UZ Conversion. UZZ31 engine, UCF10 Sump, UZS131 Tranny and engine fan idler. Custom exhaust and 147rwKWs.

Junior Member Grease Monkey EvilJack's Avatar

sticker like this

Thanks guys

Also without dropping everything (axles etc) can the diff be taken out alone like in the pic above?

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PureHell
    Thanks guys

Also without dropping everything (axles etc) can the diff be taken out alone like in the pic above?
    Yep, just undo the drive shaft, CV's and the 3 bolts holding it to the frame
    MX83 1UZ Conversion. UZZ31 engine, UCF10 Sump, UZS131 Tranny and engine fan idler. Custom exhaust and 147rwKWs.

Tried that but no go on getting the bolts undone. The way the car was smashed is a pain in the butt. The fuel tank and towbar have been pushed together and forward with only 1cm or so between them and the diff. No way to access the bolts. We are in the process of dropping the fuel tank down. We have hacked away at the body and bumper area to get the bolts for the towbar out as it was all covered up by the body being pushed up against it. Big pain in the butt!

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Any reason you can't pull out the cradle in one piece?
    4 very big bolts, some brake lines, brake cables, struts, and it should more or less drop out (in theory).

The diff should be (from memory) a G315. 3.909 LSD with 4 pinions.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Looked at doing that but the way the car was wrecked made it impossible. Everything is bent and twisted to the left