Thread: ITBs vs Hemholtz Resonance tuning

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default ITBs vs Hemholtz Resonance tuning

I have been thinking about this for a while, and wonder if anyone can help me out.

Every high performance 4AGE i have seen runs quad throttle bodies, which is understandable, but they all run individual air filters.

is the airflow benefit enough to conter the fact that you no longer get any resonance "supercharging" or is it just too hard to work out plenum volume etc.

i have an idea for a low restriction tuned length inlet manifold, but would rather just go quads (with some sort of fire shield) as they look better and will be lighter and have better throttle response. (with some sort of fire shield)

I have also heard that idle quality with big cams is much better with ITBs compared to a single TB, i wonder what the group A 4ages idled like as they had to run a standard inlet manifold.
    Last edited by roadsailing; 06-01-2006 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: ITBs vs Hemholz Resonance tuning

The ideal setup would be quads with a plenum (like a 20v), getting the Heimholz tuning right would be a nightmare though.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

You still get pretty good Hemholtz with foam socks - I've seen a dyno run back-to-back and there's not a lot of difference.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: ITBs vs Hemholtz Resonance tuning

thanks for the replies, maybeye i was thinking about hemholtz tuning the wrong way around, i always thought that each inlet port helped the other ones out, but if it is just wave stuff for each individual one then i guess it wouldnt matter as much.
    Last edited by roadsailing; 06-01-2006 at 06:20 PM.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Heimholtz tuning is mainly about waves inside an airbox, it can get very complex and weird and it's almost impossible to calculate.

The only way for us mere mortals to do it is to build up a bunch of airboxes and try them out...