Thread: Help/Advice about ABS system from a Mazda

Garage Queen Automotive Encyclopaedia ZZT231's Avatar

Default Help/Advice about ABS system from a Mazda

Hello All,

I'm trying to help my cousin overseas try and see what might be wrong with his car. His car is a 1996 Mazda 323 Famila (aka Protoge in Australia) . Apparently his ABS light stays on all the time, does anyone know how to get the car into diagnostic mode or point me onto a website in which I don't need to join and get the info?

I know it's not a Toyota but pointing the finger at some typical spots (like speed wheel sensor) or tests that could be preformed would be great...

How would you test if the speed wheel sensor is not working?

Cheers.

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

Default Re: Help/Advice about ABS system from a Mazda

You could start by checking the connections on the ABS sensor's themselves. If one has come loose over time through vibration, it will cause the ABS warning light to turn on.
    Does the cars ABS system still work correctly? Tell him to find an empty road, get the car up to 50km/h and anchor on the brakes. If there is any "lockup" or pulsations are not felt through the brake pedal, then something is not working.
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

he needs to find if its obd1 or obd2

obd2 then u need a scanner

early stuff i know on some mazdas you just bridge terminals out like a toyota

get him to see if there is a diag box otherwise get him to take it to a person with a scanner and spend some money

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

A simple thing to do is to check the resistance of the wheel speed sensors. If one has a different reading to the others then there is a problem. Also check for continuity of the wheel sensors at the abs module.
    Apart from that, do what sideshow said.
    Last edited by BradW; 06-11-2006 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Speeling
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

i had one of them on a nissan.. just pulled out the abs fuses and all that... and pulled out the ECU's fuse as well, so re-setting everything...

then i put the fuses back one by one.. starting with the ABS crap.. then the Engine ECU..then the battery.. started it back up and viola it never showed up again..

then again some ABS lights are something to do with the braking system so i'd suggest getting a dealer or auto diagnostician to have a look at it coz it might be some mechanical fault somewhere..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child