View Poll Results: Which ECU do you have?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microtech

26 14.61%
  • Adaptronic

8 4.49%
  • Haltech

14 7.87%
  • Motec

14 7.87%
  • Wolf

17 9.55%
  • Autronic

16 8.99%
  • EMS

17 9.55%
  • Power FC

5 2.81%
  • Other (Please Specify)

16 8.99%
  • Factory/No ECU

45 25.28%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What ECU do you use?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Aftermarket ECU choice

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPho3nix
    This MegaSquirt ECU looks really cool. I have never heard of them before today! One issue it may have though; does the 'universal' loom that comes with it suit our toyotas? I am planning for a amateur race-car / daily driver and this looks like a really cool option, but will the loom be compatible with the 4AGE? Doing it all yourself from kit form will most likely increase your understanding of ECU's in general, not to mention bonding with your car! "Look baby! I made you a new brain!"
    1. the universal looms sold by DIYAutotune, RS Autosport, Glens Garage etc. require you to wire the them up to your sensors ... if you want a plug-in solution then further research and searching is required - here is a good starting point http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=77 .

2. Megascott (sparkandfuel.com) has instructions on adapting MSEFI to 4AGE and there's some people in OZ and NZ with considerable experience in this.

3. yes, doing this makes EFI and related electronics no longer a black art .. but tuning is still largely based on experience ... it's agreat learning experience but also a steep one ... enjoy the ride as i did

4. yes, the 'i did that' factor is great... plus it provides plenty of excuses for beer-laden celebrations.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 03-11-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later." <-- Sorry guys I haven't got to. I will endeavour to give rep to everyone who took the time to write a reply. I appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    I have a Wolf 3D V4.

Purely because I had a friend who was working there who did me a very good price and could help with the setup. It's worked very well for me despite minimal research beforehand.

Support has been good on the one occasion I used it, emails were replied to within the hour (during business hours) and the intermitant problem diagnosed easily.

The manual isn't super easy to follow, but all the info needed is in there. And I like how they are split into installation and setup manuals.

Shortcomings would be a lack of aux. inputs/outputs, but that was fixed with V4+ and now V500.

Hen
    Yes I went with the wolf for similar reasons, I got a Ver4+ for a very good price, the number of outputs is far in excess for what I need and I wouldent hesitate using a wolf again, even on a much more complicated project(mine is running a 3sge).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
    he is gaining support

the hybrid Backyard Mechanic Fish's Avatar

Default Re: Aftermarket ECU choice - Everyone please

i HAD A EMS but the tuner was unsure of it. I had all teh disc's and wiring diagrams and manual. I was previously told either a Wolf 3D or a Motec. My tuner recommended the Motec. My mate TRAV-KE55 recommened the motec. One came up cheap roughly $300 under cost and i took it.

The best things i have heard about it so far are:
    Great tech support
    Access to lots of technical drawings.
    Tuners everywhere ( i'll be using one and only one)
    Stolen ECU protection.
    Lightweight and very very small.

Only con was the cost. A wolf 3D V500 was about 1800 and wasw aimed at the M800 but the M4 was in the same price range. For the wolf very little tuners in WA know what they are doing.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    I purchased a car (wreck) that some noob had wrapped a light pole, I took all the bits I wanted (ECU, LSD, 4AGZE etc etc.) Sold all the stuff I didn't need (Profit ) and ended up with an ECU (MTX8) and a couple of things at the end which cost me nothing So I guess you could say cost was a factor back then.
    You bought this one:

Anyway, i went with Haltech because of the good aftermarket support, and also in Canberra i had a good tuner for haltech, and Mark's rally Levin with quads was running a similar setup, which i figured i could piggy back off

Im just about to start with a Megasquirt on the road daily, just for a bit of fun (or pain). And same on Ahrensys car.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: What ECU do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    You bought this one:
    Nope.............
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

just a note on the tuning....
    many people get obsessed abotu number of tuning points on a table etc....
    in reality, it is not how many, but where those points are.
    ie, fuel (roughly) follows the torque curve. you only need two points and interpolation to describe a straight line... and so you only need points where there is a curve in the graph (with both rpm and load).

one of th emain factors for me choosing an ECU would be the ease of utilising those points, either by configurability (MS) or sheer number of points (pain unless you have software to change the res/fill in the many boxes)

that said for street cars.. highly tuned engines, with some strange resonances, may need more points to accurately reflect the state of tune....

for ignition, it is similar, but ignition configurability, in terms of adjusting for load/ temperature and phases of the moon , is something that would make me spend more....
    and protection algorithms etc (ie, good ways of limiting engine behaviour)

but above all, if you play with it yourself, the interface via PC has to be useable... and intuitive....
    but thats just how i see it...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Aristo - Stock
    Laurel - Stock but remapped...the joys of piss easy ecus and their remapability
    Soarer- Microtech LTX12...got it for $650...steal of the century
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

hi

Im going with the megasquirt for starters, its about $150 and a bit of time to put it together, but since my old man is a retired techinician with nothing to do i wont be doing that meyself.

If it works i'll be sure to do a write up for it. I'm hoping it will run a turbo 18rg, there is someone on the forum running an 18rgeu on MS in a ra40 with some success. If all else fails i'll buy a wolf 3d, IE the worst case scenario if the MS doesnt work is still cheaper than buying a motec, haltech etc

Cheers

craig

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I'm running a Megasquirt-II with V3.0 PCB.

Reasons -
    cheap, completely DIY, learning experience, everything both Oldcorollas and Chuckie have said.... but as well as this I liked the open nature of the programming and operation of the ECU - there is nothing hidden, and virtually everything is user configurable.

I wanted to learn about the operation of an ECU, how to program it, etc... to take away the "black magic" as others have put it here.

Cost - around $300-400 once you have everything

Reputation - with thousands of users and a massive user database/forums, you can image what sort of a rep the MS has!

My next ECU will be an Autronic SM4, because i'm going to leave it to my tuner to make that car work for me. Autronics are aimed at the distributor level, they are not a DIY programmable ecu that just anyone can use - they aren't made or marketted that way, so i dont understand the complaints people make about the "lack of user support"... user support is supposed to come from your TUNER.

Quote Originally Posted by MS-75
    I currently have an Autronic SMC that's 5 years old (bought it from Ray Hall).

Reasons were-
    Recommendation from a number of serious techo's/tuners/racers
    Flexibility
    Cost (compared to a motec)
    Track record

Downsides were
    not may outputs
    crappy manual
    Autronic are not particularly helpful

The current model SM4 is awesome, but not actually completely finished yet (some listed features are not yet available.

I have found both easy to tune and set-up, with some of the SM4 stuff being brilliant-especially the speed at which that the computer autotunes.

In my opinion, Autronic is the best bang for buck ECU you can get if you can stretch to the $$, however, the SM4 is perhaps using a slegehammer to crack a walnut in many street cars.
    Sean,

dude you should know better than to trust Ray Hall's website....
    RAY HALL IS NOT AUTRONIC, Ray Hall is simply a distributor who went and took the autronic url and used it for his own evil, and then decided to incorrectly market the product, stating features that DONT EVEN EXIST (as confirmed by the head design engineer).

Trusting Ray Hall's website is like trusting a convicted peadophile with your children.

Do a search for Ray Hall on these forums - there's a good read to be had

As for the features of the SM4 - they are something that i'm lead to believe that over time will be programmed into the unit, and will probably be able to be upgraded by your tuner... but i'd talk to your tuner/distributor about that

...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I am running an Autronic SM4 on my EP91 Starlet. Some say its overkill but its an ECU im prepared to take with me to my next car.

Features worth mentioning:
    -Can work on most engines without needing to be re-chipped
    -customisable inputs and outputs
    -VVT/VANOS control
    -Closed loop control
    -built in boost controller
    -gear related boost control
    -internal knock sensor control
    -data logging
    -launch control
    -antilag
    -traction control (in future versions)

Pros:
    -quality design hardware with quality wiring and connector
    -price is reasonable for capabilities of product
    -extremely customisable to control even some of the more advanced devices
    -heaps of inputs and outputs
    -most things are customisable on the software side
    -wiring is relatvely easy considering how big the loom is
    -support available quite easily with extensive information in private forum to search through

Cons:
    -getting information that you want before you buy the product is a mission
    -doesnt have a dash adapter unit (however you can setup an LCD dash
    -requires Exhaust Gas Analyser (autronic brand) to use AutoTune
    -Ray Hall is involved unfortunantly
    -user manual needs to be purchased (because an authorised dealer should install it)

Overall i couldnt be happier with my unit. Everyone is supprised that i say its powered by Autronic instead of EMS or MicroTech. I figured you get what you pay for. The tuning software is relatively easy to install and use, and its fast.

Ivan
    Last edited by ivan; 03-11-2006 at 02:55 PM. Reason: formatting

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: GM Delco ECU

GM DELCO ECU to fit 18RGEU....For the DIY types...

Dont know many who have tried this or is even aware that the Delco ECU from the early late 80's & 90's holdens was easily modified into a fully programmable ECU. (namely the JE camira for the 4 cylinder version)

Here's a really quick overview of whats required (I recently posted this on another thread)...

1. I guess the biggest negative of using this system (if you call it a negative) is you cannot use any of the original Toyota sensors. All sensors need to be replaced by Delco ones...this is not as bad as it sounds as the GM sensors are much cheaper & more common than Toyota ones and seem to be very reliable.

2. The Delco computer uses a MAP sensor combined with air temp sensor so you can get rid of the old air-flow meter. (MAP & Temp is more accurate - i believe)
    Also the Toyota Distributor needs to be modified fit the Delco electronic Ignition module and pickup (probably the most difficult thing about this conversion!)

3. The Delco ECU is not programmable straight out of the car, there are a few little tricks you will need know. Luckily there is loads of info on the web about this – Checkout - www.moates.net for starters.
    Basically you will end up replacing the standard chip in the ECU with a programmable EEPROM chip which enables you erase and reprogram with an EEPROM progarammer.

4. To program the Chip you will need Software – This is the good part, the software is free to download and use - www.tunerpro.net
    But you can also look at Kalmaker.com.au (I used Kalmaker to program mine)

5. Also stock 18RGEU Toyota injectors will not work with the Delco ECU. (impedance is to Low) You can use almost any higher impedance injectors though. (Ford or GM)

6. The Delco ECU can work with various types input signals for timing control, including a Crank Trigger sensor which means no more distributor!!! You can use individual coil-packs and an ignition module (which are Dirt cheap from the US).
    Im working on this right now…

I have been running the Delco ECU for about 4 years now with no problems
    Corona with 18RG-EU, Grandpa Beige colour (sleep)
    Running GM Delco ECU...Yep

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Delco is a great idea and was what i was looking at before the MS came along...
    the killer for it was when Kalmaker started charging for security dongles what is the current status of it?
    you can use any low impedance injectors with a resistor pack (like many toyotas do stock anyway )
    Camira is great donor car
    i also use GM air and coolant temp sensors for the MS, but it can be easily changed to suit any temp sensor if you work out 3 resistance/temp pairs.

edit: like the MS, the delco should be able to use any MAP sensor if it is 0-5V?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Power FC for me.

Pro's
    Price, it was $1100 delivered with the hand controller
    Plug and play install
    Great idle control especially considering the engine it's on
    Controls 850cc injectors very nicely on my setup
    Factory style cold start behaviour
    My tuner of choice is very experienced in tuning them

Cons:
    I need to buy a FC Logit to be able to datalog

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

On another topic that spread of responses is very different to what I'd expect to see from other community's especially Nissan. In the Nissan camp I'd expect to see a lot of remapped stock and heaps of Power FC's being used.

I think the range of responses up there is a real indicator to the do it yourself attitude of the Toymods community. I also think it's a fair pointer to the traditionally tight arse behaviour of Toyota enthusiasts. Not saying that's a bad thing but if price was of less concern to the consumer I bet we'd see more replies for the top end systems.