Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedal shudder?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Big rob's Avatar

Default pedal shudder?

I am going to ask this again, as since posting on the old forums i have discovered another way to describe my problem.

When ever my car, GZ20 soarer comes under load and i guess when the turbos are boosting the accelerator pedal shudders. It doesnt shudder constantly and there really isnt a constant pattern. As the revs get around 3000 it just shudders on and of very rapidly and can make a creaking noise.

A friend suggested pinging, but i am running 98 octane fuel and it happens when the turbos are barely even boosting so i think i can rule that out.

Its really wierd, i used to think i imagined it, but now its definatly ther. I think it has progressivly gotton more noticible and now you can hear a creaking and feel the pedal shudering/vibrating.

If anyone has any idea on what may be the cause of the problem please help me out.

Thanks everyone,

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Re: pedal shudder?

Is this when you depress the pedal or when there is no pressure on the pedal at all?

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Woud it be possible that your engine/gear box mounts are cracked/worn. See if they need replacing.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Changed your plugs recently?
    plugs for a 1GGTE are $23 each, minimum.

pull them out and have a look if they look shitty.

Eldar.O.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

is it impacting your power at all?
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    Changed your plugs recently?
    plugs for a 1GGTE are $23 each, minimum.

pull them out and have a look if they look shitty.

Eldar.O.
    Platinum plugs for a 1G are about $13 a piece from Toyota. I just bourght a set.
    Sorry for the Hijack, just thourght I'd mention it.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

i would be looking at mounts as well... is there a shudder when in neutral and revving? iof so then pop the bonnet and see if you can find where the sudder is coming from

I changed the plugs very recently. Put in some NKG iridium ones. The pedal shudder only occurs when the car is under load, not when free reving so when i am like driving up a hill, or slight incline, or trying to accelerate.

I think when it happens, there is a bit of power loss, or the power seems to surge as with the vibration/shudder.

I'd also like to note, it mainly became apparent after a period of time a few months ago when my car just died and wouldnt start one day. After trying to rectify the situation i eventually called upon a mechanic and it turned out the throttle boddie was full of shit and was over fueling. He simply removed the pipe entering the TB and free reved while spraying carbi clean in there and wiped some gunk out.

Thanks guys, i'll have a look at my mounts.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

mine shudders badly under 1500 or so, but maybe i am just used to driving torquey motors , anyway our Camry was stuffing up the other day and RACQ after driving it mentioned the exhaust, mainly baffles in the muffler, so if you got a cheap muffler on it maybe thats the problem, ours felt more like missfiring though, so i guess it depends on what a "shudder" exactly means.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

from what I can tell he's talking about a vibration in the accel pedal, not through the whole car. to me this makes it a lot less likely to be muffler baffles, engine/gbox mounts, etc.

I'm gonna go WAY left field here, and ask if there could possibly be a problem with your throttle butterfly? maybe rip off your IC piping and have a look, make sure there's nothing stuck to it, no chunks taken out, it moves properly, no weird free-play. also check the throttle cable connections.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Draven that could most definatly be a possiblity as really just after the TB was initially mucked around with. the problem occured. My mate has a 1g half cut just sitting around at his place, so if we cant see anything that could be possibly causing the problem, i'll try and swap them over.

Are there any gaskets or anything needing replacement if i performed a TB swap?

Thanks guys

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

I changed the plugs very recently. Put in some NKG iridium ones. The pedal shudder only occurs when the car is under load, not when free reving so when i am like driving up a hill, or slight incline, or trying to accelerate.

I think when it happens, there is a bit of power loss, or the power seems to surge as with the vibration/shudder.

I'd also like to note, it mainly became apparent after a period of time a few months ago when my car just died and wouldnt start one day. After trying to rectify the situation i eventually called upon a mechanic and it turned out the throttle boddie was full of shit and was over fueling. He simply removed the pipe entering the TB and free reved while spraying carbi clean in there and wiped some gunk out.
    Are the new plug gaps correct?

Could the O2 sensor be gone? causing overfueling and down low poor response?

Is the shudder sort of like you have gotten the engine below the powerband and it is not making enough torque to accelerate it? Or is it more just a vibration in the pedal?

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndgcpr
    mine shudders badly under 1500 or so, but maybe i am just used to driving torquey motors , anyway our Camry was stuffing up the other day and RACQ after driving it mentioned the exhaust, mainly baffles in the muffler, so if you got a cheap muffler on it maybe thats the problem, ours felt more like missfiring though, so i guess it depends on what a "shudder" exactly means.
    Thats strange, a well running 1G should be about as smooth as they come at any revs...
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

yeah but mine is obviosly not a smooth running 1G I think it needs some injector work as it doesn't really idel flat, and my oil pressure is always varying

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Hmm random. Mine doesn't idle well at all, get it off idle though, and BAM, smooth as.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association