Thread: Celica 3SGE into SW20

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Celica 3SGE into SW20

Okay, so I did this a while ago.

I had an entire 3SGE engine from a Celica, and an entire engine from an SW20 MR2.
    I'd imagine that any generation for generation, you'd be able to do this easily, or vice versa.

Basically I was having a few problems with the MR2 motor, so bought the celica one, and put it in instead.

I swapped the fuel rail, injectors, coolant lines, flywheel, clutch, Rocker cover cover, Intake manifold, dipstick, water pump lines, front pulley, extractors, coolant neck, alternator + bracket, and RHS engine mount. All from the MR2 engine to the Celica engine.
    Realisitically, if you only wanted to source the parts you absolutely needed, you'd need to swap over the coolant neck and the thermostat housing, with the different water outlet on it.
    You'll probably need the RHS engine mount too, as I'd be surprised if it wasnt different for the celica.
    Everything else, you could more than likely get away with leaving out.
    There's no problem high mounting the alternator on the other side of the block in the celica position, I think it's just a bit more awkward to access that way.
    I changed the rocker cover cover and intake manifold, so the badges are the right way up.
    Becuase you obviously look at an MR2 engine bay from the rear instead of the front, haha.
    BTW, I'm 99% sure that the water outlet pipes and thermostat housing etc are identical to the gen 3 3SGE items, so it would probably be much easier to source the parts you need that way.

I initially left the Celica dipstick in, I didnt realise that it faces a different direction, which makes it hard to get out in an MR2.
    Swapped them over when I realised this, and no worries.
    you could easily rotate the celica one and make a new bracket for it though, no problems there.

This is the celica motor:

MR2 motor: (Note that the oil pump pulley looks different? weird!)

Celica engine with MR2 bits on:

One interesting thing that I noticed, is that the celica front pulley has two different sized pulleys on it... It would seem that the celica runs something at about half speed compared to the other... Perhaps because the powersteering is driven off this belt?

I obviously ran the SW20 engine loom that I had, but it wouldnt be out of the question to run the ST202 loom.
    You'd obviously need to lengthen/shorten/etc some of the wiring, and perhaps splice it into the existing loom.

Apart from that though, fairly straight foward.

Last edited by Roman; 17-10-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: Celica 3SGE into SW20

sounds good mate.
    pics dont work BTW .
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

Aaaah rats, yeah I'm getting the same thing here.

I reuploaded them and they seem to work now?

I'll sort something else out if they dont work.

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roman
    One interesting thing that I noticed, is that the celica front pulley has two different sized pulleys on it... It would seem that the celica runs something at about half speed compared to the other... Perhaps because the powersteering is driven off this belt?
    ermmm thats probably because the MR2 motor there is a BEAMS 3SGE with VVTi on the intake side... definitely not interchangeable with a gen 3 Celica motor in that area
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

sorry for being unclear, I was talking about the crank pulley.

Bothe engines are single VVTI beams engines.

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

oh... i wasnt aware that the ST202/4 ever got the beams thats all..

then yeah everything should be changeable except that engine mount (thats usually the case off memory
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

There sure was.

redtop 3SGE was available in 1998-1999 ST202 and SW20.

beams 3SGE engines ranging from 180-210hp were also available in rav 4, caldina, altezza, and something else that I think. (cant remember)

Caldina GTs are definitely the most common! I see at least one per day over here, they're going to be a cheap supply of beams engines pretty soon, as they get crashed.
    They're not in demand like Altezza engines, and are the best bang for buck IMO.
    Only problem being that they all come in auto, I'm not sure how hard it is to get an auto ecu to work with an M/T.

Caldina GT engines are identical to the redtop ones, they still come with sodium cooled valves, fancy intake manifold, coil packs, etc etc.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

I'm currently doing the reverse, putting an MR2 (gen 2) 3S-GE into my ST162, and I can confirm that the smaller-sized pulley is for the powersteering.

Okay, thanks!

It was the only logical thing I could think of, that the celica had but MR2 didnt.