Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine ideas

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default engine ideas

Hey guys im doing a 1982 celica xt ra60 up it has a crappy 21r-c carby engine in it ive talked to my local car sho about a newy engine in it they said anything up to a 2.2ltr and it fits stright in and its a toyota i wont to do a na tuned engine since i carnt drive a turbo car so the 2j has to wait for a while yet can anyone give me a good idea for a desent engine ive done some home work but if some one can give me a ruff idea on the best engine for my problem the car is out of rego...

5mge will bolt up BUT wont line up with the engine mounts and i think its bigger than a 2.2
    4age not to sure about this one i know the engine is on angle???
    22r-e umm carnt get much grunt out of these

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

Default Re: engine ideas

woah, try some punctuation jeeezzzz....

maybe try a 3sge, will be some work though (to get it RWD)
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

you have heaps of options...I cant see why capacity is limiting the size of the engine you can put in the car

if youre dead set on NA then 18RG or 1GGE are the obvious choices...5MGE is a 2.8 but also an option...as is a 6MGE...
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

sorry for my poor grammer... ive consided the 3sge but to much money for the conversion

High Rolla Grease Monkey sprinter_adam's Avatar

18 RG maybe? a 3sge would be good but might not be woth the time effort if you thinkin of going 2j in the future.

are you aware that the 2J is a 3.0L? if you think you can fit one into it why not go 2JZ-GE for now and slap a nice turb onto it later?

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by eeeyan View Post
    wow this thread got off track fast i came back expecting in depth scientific and philosophical discussion and i find people takling about meals and wanking.
    awesome stuff. toymods FTW
    MA70 - the lupy bi@ch - proton wira - 5 colourd daily

what type of power figure would i be looking at and do i need a engineer cert?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Go a 1GGE.

Sure its not as easy as a 22RE, but its a much better choice.

Oh, If you don't have 2-3k to spare, just drop another 21RC in there.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by sprinter_adam
    18 RG maybe? a 3sge would be good but might not be woth the time effort if you thinkin of going 2j in the future.

are you aware that the 2J is a 3.0L? if you think you can fit one into it why not go 2JZ-GE for now and slap a nice turb onto it later?

Adam
    i need to pass it for rego the 2jzgte converion im looking at costing close to 10k so thats why im waiting till i get my full licance while im driving a na tuned car i can rebuild the 2j to the speacs than when the best day in my life comes ill take the car to the shop to get the treatment

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I don't even want to think of the shortcuts a "shop" will take to fit a 2JZGTE to your car for only 10 grand. An engine conversion (particularily a 2J) involves
    alot more than just fitting the motor, you also need to factor in a decent diff, suspension, brakes, wheels, radiator, plus bits & pieces like a new clutch, timing belt, water pump, seals etc etc. I'd be estimating 20 grand, and still preparing for that budget to blow out.

thanks for telling me that im gonna start looking for a new tuner to do the converion now

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

3s-gte or 1uzfe
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Beams 3SGE from an Altezza would be the go if you have to stay NA.

Any option other than a 21RC is going to be a fair wack of money that you'll definately never see again though, so unless you really want to do up an RA60 you might want to rethink your options. Doing an engine conversion in order to get a car through rego is pretty much the opposite of what people tend to plan on doing.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Agreed with CrUZ, 1G-GEUs should be pretty cheap and a very nice upgrade for an ra60. It gives you a wicked upgrade path to 1G-GZE/GTE when you want more power. 1G's are a 2L six cylinder.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Before we get carried away with suggestions, we need to know how much money you're willing to spend on this. It's amazing how many people have $2k in the bank and think they can do an engine conversion. Unfortunately that's not even close; even a basic engine conversion is an expensive exercise, once it's all done properly.

Having said that, the 1G-GTE is far and away the best bang-for-your-buck conversion for any RA6x Celica. If you can afford it, do it.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Before we get carried away with suggestions, we need to know how much money you're willing to spend on this. It's amazing how many people have $2k in the bank and think they can do an engine conversion. Unfortunately that's not even close; even a basic engine conversion is an expensive exercise, once it's all done properly.

Having said that, the 1G-GTE is far and away the best bang-for-your-buck conversion for any RA6x Celica. If you can afford it, do it.
    Isnt it just the cost of the halfcut and a tank of gas. Cheaper if its PMP-80Y
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence