Thread: easy brake upgrade

Banned Grease Monkey

Default easy brake upgrade

just raced my ke 70 wagon at calder the other week and pulling up at the end was alittle difficult just wondering if any one knows the easiest brake upgrade as now im going to do the cams and a roller bearing huffa and i dont want to drive it with out the brakes done
    cheers
    ROLLIN

Image attached but cant really see my car bloody bmw

Junior Member Grease Monkey DoctorDubb's Avatar

Default Re: easy brake upgrade

The 'Search' button up the top is your friend

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263

Quoting SeptemberSquall,
    "Suspension and Brakes:
    Underlying suspension geometry and design is shared with AE86, pretty much. I think the Macpherson strut inside diameter is different on KE70, so you need different damper cartridges specific to KE70. Alternatively you can change the struts altogether.

On this note, RT132 struts and steering arms when used in tandem will give twin piston calipers, 266mm discs and larger-body inserts while bolting to the existing ball joint (ball
    joint p/n shared with early Corona, Corolla and Celica models). If this isn't enough, RT132 struts can be used with DBA F282 discs and RN104 calipers to give 4 pistons, big pads and vented discs. Master cylinder upgrade is required in this case. RA23/RA28/RA40 or #A6# struts can be used as an alternative. Dunno why you'd bother with less than #A6# struts, the earlier Celica brakes were pretty average and not much improvement."

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

there are quite alot of options depending on how much money you have to spend, and also what rims your willing to run.
    i wrote an article about doing the hilux 4 spot calipers into an ae86 which is ALMOST identical to a ke70, i used xt130 struts, ln106 calipers, pug rotors and a starion master cylinder. the article is somewhere on toymods, you can run 15's with that upgrade.

you could source some jdm ae86 front brakes, not a big upgrade tho. theres also the older supra upgrade which also isnt a huge improvement.

if you want to go coilovers and have the option to run nissan brakes you could go the s13 front swap, good coilover and brake selection however you need to get used to bump steer.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Either that or you could swap in MX83 steering arms, MX83 struts, and then do the BA Falcon Disc/R33 Skyline Caliper swap.
    But the best bang for buck is the Corona/Pug/Hilux conversion, which im doing to 2 cars currently and already have on the race car. Sofar it has come to:
    Calipers: $150
    Discs: $150
    Struts: $90

New pads for them in Bendix Ultimate are around the $100 mark. If you need a new brake master cylinder itll be a bit more, but the Datsun 240K BMC which is good for an unboosted setup is $90ish.
    All up a very very cheap brake conversion which is completely tops.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Link to a copy of evosti's article:

Here

Right-click save as to save a copy
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.