Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flooding engine 4ac

Forum Member

Default flooding engine 4ac

i might be asking a stupid question but does any1 know if you turn on ignition but not cranking the engine and u step on the gas pedal on a 4ac will it flood the engine?..wat happens when its flooded?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: flooding engine 4ac

Quote Originally Posted by driftster
    i might be asking a stupid question but does any1 know if you turn on ignition but not cranking the engine and u step on the gas pedal on a 4ac will it flood the engine?..wat happens when its flooded?
    if the engine is not running, when you press the pedal, the accel pump will squirt fuel in. you would need to pump a fair few tims before flooding it.

depends if it is in water or not?

i think you should google for the answer to your last question.... it's not really "tech and conversions" more like Autoshop 101

have fun
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

If you flood it, open the throttle fully, and crank the engine till it starts spluttering, then nurse it to life. Best thing to do is not to pump fuel to get it started, rather have it tuned properly, perhaps rebuild the carb and all.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

i dont entirely understand wat ur asking, but ill have a shot anyway...

if u pump the accelerator before cranking the motor over, ur carby will let fuel squirt into the engine, wen u go to crank it, ulll get lots of smoke, and it will splutter. that will go away shortly after, and ull be sweet. well most times anyway.

like oldcorollas said, it will take a few pumps to flood it to the point that it wont start, but if thats the case then u can do wat o man said, that should clear the unburnt fuel...

if thats how u gotta start ur car all the time, then get ur carby tuned/rebuilt. depending on how bad it is...
    i have to give my 4ac a lil squirt of throttle every morning, but once warm its usually sweet... so i dont bother wif tuning it..
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

I have to do the same with mine, only way to get it to start almost first time is to keep pumping while starting it. Otherwise it will just try to turn over for like 10sec before starting and it will be really low revs. Did flood it once but that wasnt too bad, just was very very lumpy and a bit of smoke.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I think u dont even need to turn on the ignition...just having it off and pumping the accelerator is enough to flood it...ull just have a bit of a hard time starting her...with abit of smoke on startup..but after that she should be fine...

Forum Member

hmm..ok thx guys..its the 1st time..actually i cant start my car now..im still diagnosing wats happening..trying the batteries 1st..but like i said..was pumping the accel for a bit so i tot it might have flooded..

Toyota traitor Automotive Encyclopaedia GBC_069's Avatar

well is it cranking, coz if its cranking it wont be the batteries !!!
    if you are pumping it whilst tryin to start it, my guess fuel pump or something like that if it wont go at all !!
    NOW - 2002 WRX STI - WRC Blue 180awkw @ dyno day 20
    WAS - 1991 GT4 GRP A no. 68 153awkw, 13psi @ dyno day 18
    WAS - RED ST162 JDM 86kw @ dyno day 12

Forum Member

nup not cranking at all ..at 1st it went 'clickclick' but no more after that..tried rolling it but it just locks up the wheel when i release the clutch so ive taken out the battery for a charge..should be done by tonite..

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

could be a seized motor if its locking the wheels, unless you are on soft ground. Try it on a hard surface and in 3rd gear. Mind u, i started my uncles KA lazer on crusherdust in reverse when he had a flat battery and took my car to work. Was doing about 2kph when i started it

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

clickclickclick when u turn the key is the battery
    what gear have you got it in?
    second is recomended to roll start
    but if my carbie playing up (i have rust in the bottom of my fuel tank and sometimes it will block filter or a jet) i just dump the clutch in first, from anywhere as high as 40. huge tyre squeel but it creates enough pull to dislodge the crap.

so yer, first or second on a grippy surface should so the trick if the battery is still fuggored

Can I Fondle Your Grease Monkey

is 'flooding' only possible if u have a mechanical fuel pump or can u do the same with an electric fuel pump with a carbie?

carbies a carby more or less

Is not a good Backyard Mechanic GtiRboy's Avatar

i'm not completely sure but i think that an electric fuel pump with a carbie would flood it for sure? like when he car is on? or actually, i dont think so...lol anyone wanna help?
    Mmmmmmmm 2ZZGE

no. not at all.
    when a greater fuel supply is required on a carburetted engine a high volume low pressure pump is used.
    often find it with tuned 5k's or 7k's