Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: intercooling 1ggte on gas carb

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: intercooling 1ggte on gas carb

If you're going to wire in an aftermarket ECU then sure, that's different, but I haven't seen that mentioned in this thread. The way I read everything so far was bodging the dizzy to a vacuum advance/retard setup ala old school factory turbo engines.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    ecu and loom is gonna more difficult to do, plus fuels much cheaper when using gas
    Also i should add that i am an electronic's guy and wired my 1G-GTE motor so if your wanting it done, give me a call and i could give you a hand,/ do it for you...I am north bris

The turbo setup is pretty simple, two parts and the dividing and adding of the pipes is quite easy.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

well the main issue here is that its been many many years since this car has seen petrol and im not sure whats left in the engine in relation to injectors and the like, theres no tank, i was told injectors and everythin had been stripped too...so for the minute im gonna stick with what ive got and battle out the gas system plus ill remake the 1300 i spent for the car in fuel in one year if i run gas as opposed to petrol
    im gonna talk with dad, and ill call a few places after work tomorrow and see what i come up with.
    cheers for all this useful info guys
    oh and just a thought, is there anything wrong with going to "old school factory turbo" style, if it works, whats the prob aye?

if you mean putting the twins back on, no, my car weighs in around 1100KG's and make about 150RWHP @ 9 PSI and i am pretty happy with it, it really gets up and goes.

Also where is the gas tank? if its in the boot you can fit some exhausts on, got the twin pipes!!!

anyway, if we ever meet up (hopefully we will since we are in the same area) i can go over you motor or park side buy side and we can do an easy this is what you need list or something.

well yes to the twins, and more-so the dizzy advance/retard function, rather than the ecu.
    ke70,s are supposed to be 910 kilos...so this is gonna be schaaweeeet!
    gas tanks in the boot, right where i want my sub box from the current ke70 to be
    once i get this baby goin and on the road, and i get my license i may come along to a toymods cruise, if ones happening anytime
    if not im organising one on rollaclub...raceday...ooooh yeah ahaha, maybe then

is 9 psi stock boost, and can that be adjusted with stock turbos easily?

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Hey there
    If you're still having issues getting your head around it all, PM me and give me a call sometime, hopefully I can suggest a few things to help you get it on track.

hey mate, thanx for the offer, im at the moment lookin at intercoolers on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Monster-FMIC-...QQcmdZViewItem

that one seems to look the goods and ill just make it fit, i know it will clear bumper brackets,and the rest is just a strategic bend away...

ive got stock turbos on the way, just waitin for the guy to tell me when to come and get them and ill be round in a jiffy, that comes with the stock pipes on top of the engine, so ill just need a coupla bends from turbos to cooler, and then i have the fun of getting to the otherside and setting up the gas carb for blow through...
    should i connect the gas carb directly to the intake, and just plumb up to it?
    im thinking thats probably gonna be the best way..yeah?
    so once thats attached i will attempt to make it run....
    incomes timing and blow through setting up
    i think that from the tutorial thingy i should be able to sort the basics of the settin the gas carb, think all i need is the balance tube somewhere to the piping....should this go before or after the cooler?
    and will i need GRA boost relief valve?
    and once i have that bit covered should i then take it to someone who knows what they are doing for a dyno tune?
    ooh look more questions haha
    so once i have the carb hooked up properly i will be thinking about timing, i will call a few places and see what they can tell me, likely nothing and i will sit in a dark corner and cry for a week, before calling the bloke mentioned up there^^^ and paying gazillions in shipping back and forward, on the upside the car will eventually be running and the commodore driver will be greatly upset hehe
    can anyone else see anything more i need to do?
    this has helped, its all a bit organised now
    so yeah questions at the moment are:
    1) does the balance line go to the piping before or after intercooler? (source this from a GRA resaler im guessing?)
    2) will i need a boost relief valve?
    3)once i have the balance line and boost relief valve do i get the dizzy sorted then go for a dyno tune, or is there more i can do myself?
    4)what else do i need to do before the magical build up oil pressure, reconnect oil line to turbos, and start!!!!!! ??
    broom brooom broooo-BANG

hehe
    im such a positive person
    Last edited by love ke70; 06-01-2006 at 12:27 AM. Reason: added nother question....Q3 incase ur wondering :)

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

i think that from the tutorial thingy i should be able to sort the basics of the settin the gas carb, think all i need is the balance tube somewhere to the piping....should this go before or after the cooler?

Mine was done by the "Gas Research Performance Center" and they plumbed the balance line in just after the turbo outlet. (Well BEFORE the intercooler)

will i need GRA boost relief valve?

I have no such thing. I think what they are referring to is a commonly known "Blow off valve". My experience, despite the fact that I do indeed have a BOV, is that what GRA are referring to specifically is not required.

and once i have that bit covered should i then take it to someone who knows what they are doing for a dyno tune?

For gods sake, get it dyno tuned, it'll make buckets of difference, BUT get the dizzy done FIRST!! 80% of the tuning when done with gas is the ignition, there ain't much fueling involved.

You also made mention as to where to put the Carby. Have a look at my setup. It bolts directly onto the manifold, just the way it was designed. You might need some new bolts though, as the std 1g ones don't fit. Not have to do at all.

1) does the balance line go to the piping before or after intercooler? (source this from a GRA resaler im guessing?)

As above PLUS, mine is only well clamped heater hose... I wouldn't stress about where you get it, just some hose place.. You are running said balance pipe to the converters, yes?

2) will i need a boost relief valve?

ibid...

3)once i have the balance line and boost relief valve do i get the dizzy sorted then go for a dyno tune, or is there more i can do myself?

There'll be a whole host of little things you could do yourself, no doubt. There always is... That said, I would DEFINATELY recommend getting the dizzy done FIRST.. It'll make the money you spend on dyno tuning MUCH more valuable...

4)what else do i need to do before the magical build up oil pressure, reconnect oil line to turbos, and start!!!!!! ??

What haven't you done? There'll be dozens of things I'm willing to bet.. There always is..
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    is 9 psi stock boost, and can that be adjusted with stock turbos easily?
    I have a pretty good adjusting valve, it is much beeter then just bleed stuff and everyone that i know that has one loves it. I bought it off EBAY for 30 bucks, there are always there,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turbotech-man...QQcmdZViewItem

its a bit of stuffing around but not hard to do, simply because you have twin turbos (two actuators ect) you need to join everything into one pipe so you can run this.

On another note via the dyno i was running 6PSI stock, due to differences in everythign when you do a conversion, plus mine being a 2nd gen it was pretty low, on that note the dyo now reads 9PSI, however my boost gauge reads 11PSI, so it all depends on who you believe, i would believe the dyno since my boost gauge doesn't really sit on 0 when the car is off. I would take my car higher but i am parinoid and happy at what it does atm, so since i am poor i don't wanna push things and brake them if its all working well then why change it.

I also build custom sub boxes if you want to relocate your sub else where.

so i dont need a blow off valve?
    good, too much rice for me
    i might leave adjusting the boost alone for a little bit, get it running properly first
    gonna call some places soon, as im more or less finished stripping and sorting wiring.

does anyone have any ideas on how to get some gas into the tank? as its empty, and i dont live at a servo so i duno how to get fuel in, any ideas?
    cheers guys

You should have a blow off valve. Get a re-circ one from an old saab or something. You'll damage your throttle body probably otherwise (or your turbos for that matter. )

but hey, run without if you want..

As for getting gas into the tank. I have gone down this path. And without someone having done a dodgy and just putting a bbq gas fitting onto it so you can fit it, (which is highly illegal) you'll have to take the tank to the servo.. You really shouldn't tak the tank out, what with the lines and all attached to it, so just trailer the car to wherever you can.. Then fill it, that's what I did.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

okies, next step...learn about blow off valves
    im thinking ill just get dad to tow me to the servo and back, its only 4 k's, be pretty bad luck if i get caught

actually, different thought, with the gas bottle for the bbq, is the gas u get for ur bq different to what u get from the servo? im assuming theyre different and id ahve to fill the bbq gas bottle with fuel from the servo. hmm

No actually. BBQ gas is better given it's propane content.

But you won't have the fittings on your LPG tank to connect it.. Plus it's illegal + unsafe
    Facebook | LinkedIn

but if i put bbq gas in when i get it tuned itll be all outta wack
    i reckon i could dodge the connections, but ill just tow it to the servo and back, and then try start the bitch, but thats still a way off