Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: intercooling 1ggte on gas carb

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default Re: intercooling 1ggte on gas carb

hey stradlater, nice sight, what will i pop with constant timing? do u think ill force too much air into the cylinders?
    it was running off the single to4 before i bought the car with apparently no issues, so im not sure, wat do people think?

how much would i be looking at spending to get the dizzy modified and how complex would it be to set this up?
    im in brisbane so ur man might be a bit difficult for me to contact..hmm
    i dont think ill have issues with pinging just yet, only running stock turbos and a the way things are looking a huuuge front mount just coz i can...and for when and if i decide to get silly
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    wat do u guys think of that intercooler?
    cheers guys

ok, been thinking some more, and i have another question...im sorry but u guys are so helpful u make me think more and create more questions:
    what is this?

just wondering if that would have any influence over the spark, ie. retard or advance? and if not , what does it do anyway, looks to be a control for the spark of some sort...

so no one knows?
    any more thoughts suggestions on the ignition timing issues, or even a thought on what that black thingy may be, and what it may do, cheers guys

Unbiased Grease Monkey Earlyrolla's Avatar

The black thingy is the ignition module. It uses the trigger from the distributor to determine when to 'fire' the coil. The bodgy wiring looks like some one has used left over whopper speaker cable! A little excessive for a signal lead...

In order to change the timing, you need to be able to change when the ignition module is triggered. The easiet way to do this is to have the distributor modified as suggested by the other people.

The reason why running fixed timing is bad is it limits the tunability of the car. It will be a compromise. You will need less ignition advance under higher boost conditions in order to avoid detonation but at the same time reducing the timing will result in poor driveability at other points in the engine operating range.

An alternative to modifying your distributor is to use aftermarket ignition timing interceptor. The device modifies the signal from the distributor by delaying or advancing it with respect to the instant it occurs at the pickup and to when the ignition module finally gets the signal. There used to be a real baisc three point one available from some of the electronics stores but I am sure there should be something better out there...

Unbiased Grease Monkey Earlyrolla's Avatar

Before buying the biggest intercooler you can find make sure it will fit without modifying the bumper brackets or any structural members on the front of the car. As it will already stick out like dogs balls and attract attention of the police, don't give them another thing to pick you on...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I've had GRA carbs on a couple of cars, non turbo V8s, GRA recommends disconnecting vaccuum advance,could be different with turbo's, they also recommend dyno after setting it up.They will give you a list of people that know how to tune their systems, The problem with their carbs is that most gas installers either don't understand them, or put it in the too hard basket, they would sooner install cheap and easy "taxi" systems. GRA sell spare metering rods for a couple of dollars each, probably have to re- dyno if you are swapping them about.

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    hey stradlater, nice sight, what will i pop with constant timing? do u think ill force too much air into the cylinders?
    it was running off the single to4 before i bought the car with apparently no issues, so im not sure, wat do people think?

how much would i be looking at spending to get the dizzy modified and how complex would it be to set this up?
    im in brisbane so ur man might be a bit difficult for me to contact..hmm
    i dont think ill have issues with pinging just yet, only running stock turbos and a the way things are looking a huuuge front mount just coz i can...and for when and if i decide to get silly
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    wat do u guys think of that intercooler?
    cheers guys
    Probably allow $300 for a modified dizzy that has vacuum advance/boost retard.

ANY intercooler is better than no intercooler. I bought one off ebay and it fitted nicely.

If you don't have boost retard, and just run locked timing, your idle will be shit, you'll suffer from REAL bad off boost performance, and you'll eventually bust your piston rings by having your timing locked whilst being ON boost. EG.

My TEST lock timing position is 10BTDC. This is only to setup the dizzy.

At idle it runs anywhere between 20~25BTDC.

prior to Boost kicking in, and just under normal to heavy acceleration, it'll go up go ~32BTDC.

Then, on full boost from memory it can get down to 15BTDC I think (but tends to be around 18)
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    oh last question:
    4) ive never seen the stock twin turbos, so do that have a single inlet, or 2 seperate inlets?

Tada

The come in as one brake to two go through turbo's and come back out as one. Pm me or somthing if your after more detailed pics or info

wow...im in over my head ahaha..well not really, but things could be easier
    what would people think of gettin the cooler in, gettin the gas carb workin blow through and gettin the car running, once this occurs see if the engine needs work (ive been told it was a bit rattily so who knows) if it needs work, do the work, then once its running take it and get the advance/retard setup and it dyno tuned?

early rolla, cheers heaps for the help, and ive had the tape out, and im pretty sure it will just squeeze in

thanks stradlater, so if i am running fixed timing id have to try find a point in the middle somewhere and have crappy off boost....alrighties
    any ideas on where to go to get the work done? both the dizzy work, and the dyno tune
    brisbane southside area if any one knows specifics, or if not what sort of places would do the dizzy mods?
    cheers guys all this help is very much appreciated!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

My idea would be to sell the gas carb, pick up a complete loom and ECU, and enjoy the car.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

ecu and loom is gonna more difficult to do, plus fuels much cheaper when using gas

Actually, loom and ECU is a piece of cake, cheap too.

Cheaper yes in the long run, a lot mroe screwing around though.

Dunno JCMF, I've seen the screwing around with the std 1g ECU + Loom, and it ain't THAT simple..

My recommendation would be to call gas research automotive (in WA now - yellowpages) and ask them who their main distrubutor in Brisbane is. Whoever that is will be able to do the work for you.

As for the dizzy, just look up ignition services in your yellowpages and see what happens.

If you really want, call this guy: 03 9720 6308 and have a talk to him. His name is Jerry and the place he runs is called Ignition Torque. He knows what he's talking about (particularly in the realm of boost retarding/vacuum advance dizzies) and he will do one of two things. A) he'll do the work for you if you mail it to him (I've done it before that way) or B) he may know someone in brisbane who can do it for you.

if you do ring him, tell him it's the same engine as the guy with the green celica running on gas brought to him a while ago. The one that was converted from reluctors to hall effect. He should remember eventually.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

My particular case is an anomaly Shit, with all my problems, reckon i'd be recommending it if I didn't think it was easy?

I wasn't referring to your case specifically.. Frankly the gas system and wiring in my own Aftermarket ECU was pretty freaking easy myself. The only problem i've had is getting a hold of a dizzy that works. which was more my own fault than anything else.
    Facebook | LinkedIn