Thread: OBX Helical or Cusco LSD in Corolla 4wd?

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Default OBX Helical or Cusco LSD in Corolla 4wd?

Hi I have 2 Corolla AE95 4WD wagon projects.

A street wagon and an off-road wagon.

Ages ago (when $ was a bit more fluid) I splashed out on a brand new Cusco Type RS 1.5way LSD (which I haven't fitted in either project yet.)

Ideally I want to have LSD's in both wagons.
    I was considering buying the heavier duty Cusco Type-MZ 2way LSD for the off-road wagon and using the RS 1.5way in the street wagon, ..but I'm having trouble justifying the co$t at the moment (well over $1k delivered)

As I'm only working on one project at a time (and I have other car projects as well as these two) I could just wait until I feel more confident about spending the cash on a MZ 2way.

BUT...
    Another option would be to fit the RS 1.5way into the off-road wagon and buy the much more affordable (about half the price of the MZ)
    OBX helical LSD and fit that into the street wagon.

Typically all these LSD's are used in RWD AE86's & KE70's etc. and I've read the OBX LSD isn't so good in the live rear axle but I don't know what it would be like in the Corolla 4wd's (Any thoughts?)

Here are my aims for each wagon.
    With the off-road wagon, I want a rear LSD that will compliment the centre-diff-lock in all off-road scenarios where one might lose traction - either descending and decelerating OR climbing and accellerating/spinning.
    Consideration would also need to be given to on-road characteristics.

With the street wagon, I want to reduce understeer.
    I'm halfway through building a 7AGE, running 15 x 7's with lowered suspension - AE92 LOWS up front and AE86 LOWS in the rear. The balance is nice and has increased cornering grip and reduced understeer a little.

I have a set of camber adjust bolts (which I haven't fitted yet) and intend on purchasing a whiteline rear swaybar and KONI adjustable shocks to fine tune the dampening and understeer.

Just wondering what option people would recommend and why? (pros cons etc.)
    Higher cost: MZ 2way in offroader and 1.5way in streeter
    OR
    More affordable: RS 1.5way in offroader and OBX Helical in streeter

Here's how they're described
    CUSCO LSD's
    1. Type-RS
    Low initial torque type using RS springs.
    With the Type RS, the initial torque is absorbed by the RS springs therefore the initial torque comes on gently.
    Activates under acceleration while the understeer is less than on the 2 way LSD. Recommended for drivers having difficulty with 2 way LSD understeer and one way LSD braking.

2. Type-MZ
    Initial torque created by the cone plates.
    Type MZ comes on stronger as it uses cone plates and response of the LSD is better, as the friction is lower.
    Two way LSD - Recommended on the rear axle for rear drive cars. Activates on both acceleration and deceleration. Recommended for those who prefer hot driving action and big angle drift.

OBX LSD
    Helical Gear Design
    Auto torque biasing technology prevents excessive power from being allocated to one wheel
    Extreme tight cornering for circuit racing
    Positive traction for tarmac control
    Transfer more torque to both wheels for quick start
    Helical gear design keep the gears to rum smoothly and quietly

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...wVAdUHPD4g.jpg
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Default Re: OBX Helical or Cusco LSD in Corolla 4wd?

bump - surely there must be some AE86, AE71, KE70 and TE72 guys that have some first hand experience with these??
    Or even Rav4 / GT4 guys?
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default Re: OBX Helical or Cusco LSD in Corolla 4wd?

maybe try posting in the GT4 thread under general car chat
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta