Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t series diffs

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default t series diffs

trying to install a t series diff into my ke70 as we speak but things arent working out... i was under the impression when i bout the diff that it was from a t18 but all the rods are slightly off line ie. all the rods leading backwards to the diff from the car skew inwards slightly and the panhard rod also skews towards the front of the car about 20mm or so. is it just me or does it sound like its a diff from a ta22 or something?

I also have a (definately) 18 tailshaft and trying to make it fit the 4k driveshaft which isnt working for me either - the splines arent the same? any ideas?!

thanks

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: t series diffs

hey im interested in how this is gone work out as my brother just bought a ke70 and was wondering if a t series would fit straight in as well

User Conversion King

how much homework did you do before leaping in and doing this conversion? im not sure on the suspension configuration of the KE70's but im sure they would differ slightly. have you got width measurements of each?

you might have read/heard somehere that a T series diff is a good upgrade for a KE70 but what u might not have realised is that it involves transfering your suspension points from the old diff onto the new diff. it is a lot of work to do this and if your car is standard, its practicly a waste of time.

re; tailshafts, the T18 tailshaft wont fit the gearbox behind the 4K beacuse it is not a T50. another thing with diff conversions is that you usually have to have the tailshaft modified or a custom one made which does cost a bit.
    hello

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i may be remembering incorrectly, but i was under the impression that the suspension points were the same between KE70, AE86 and T18.. but the T18 did not have roll bar mounting points? as far as width, they are perfect (basically same platform anyway)

i know IRA11Y plonked one in there with very little fuss. (was it AE71 or KE70.. can't remember)

i also think it was the front half of a sprinter/AE71? tailshaft, and the rear half from T18 (the nose of the diff is longer?) we looked at solid shafts and there are a few candidates, but all skinny buggers..

and with 4K, there is little point.. may as well wait until the engine gets bigger also... K40/K50 gearbox is far weaker than the diff (that said i have broken both )
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

the t-18 diff bolts in, im not sure about the sway bar though.

to put it in, you need the front section from a manual 4k/4a, and the rear section of a manual t-18, these have somehting like a 23? spline output shaft.

TA22 and similar model celica diffs wont fit, although the centres SHOULD!??!

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

From Toycrash... while he is waiting approval...
    toycrash: *E7* all rear axle suspension points ARE equal and so AE85 or AE86 T series axle will bolt on. older T-series gearboxes have same spline at main axle as K-series. 2-piece shaft needs rear piece from TE7 or AE8 to suit 6.7"
    toycrash: Been there, done that
    i forgot that i had fitted up a T18 front shaft (early T box) to a K series box.. it's the later AE86 boxes with larger output spline that doesn't fit.... my bad..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

just a quick note - some t18's do have swaybars. no idea if there is a particular year or model or something where it was an option or standard fitment, but some do

T

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .T.
    just a quick note - some t18's do have swaybars. no idea if there is a particular year or model or something where it was an option or standard fitment, but some do

T
    That's right Toby. Unfortunately most of them seem to be without, but mounts can easily be swapped from the old diff or a POS S-series from an AE86 or whatever.
    Sounds like you may have actually got a TA22 item as I'm sure the T-18 one should bolt straight in with no mis-alignment of arms or your panhard.
    When I put a Jap T-series in my AE86 I used one half of the T-18 tailshaft and the other half was from the original AE86 item. I can't remember which half was what, but as Stewart mentioned, the T-series diff centre 'nose' is around 15mm longer.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

The swaybars seemed to be after 1985 i believe on the T18s.

As for the diff you seem to have, im gunning that its a TA22 item. Especially since you are talking 20mm or so inwards. From memory (and i could be wrong) the track width of a TA22 diff is 50ish mm narrower than the TE72s. If you get the right diff it will all bolt in nicely, the AE71/KE70s have the same track width as the AE86/TE72s and the same pickup points too.

*edit*
    Following on from ae86slut, you need the rear half of the TE72 tailshaft. The center bearing is located in the same spot, but the rear half compensates for the longer snout on the diff housing.
    Last edited by takai; 20-12-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: More Information.

okay, i figure i have a ta22 diff to diff setup, but it still doesnt account for the tailshaft setup... the k50 tailshaft has exactly the same setup as an ae71 (i know because i have one of these at home as well) albeit a different yoke on the front to handle the t50. So the lengths are the same as are the universal joints and splines seperating the two halves. the t18 also is exactly the same length of both of these if not shorter although its supposed to be longer (this may only be true for the ae86 with s series diffs though) but anyhow the two peice tailshaft from the ta18 is different in the middle, having a different setup to both the ke70 and ae71 where it has a thread as well as a spline for the second half of the tailshaft to allow for a nut whereas the ke70/ae71 has only a spline to allow for a bolt to hold the two halves together therefore meaning a ke70/ae71 front half wont attatch to a t18 rear half... what do i do now?

this is a few pics to make it a bit easier to understand
    pic 1 has t18 noted on the shaft,
    pic2, t18 is on the left
    pic3, t18 is on the left
    pic4, t18 is on the left
    Last edited by spoon; 10-11-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Cool Re: t series diffs

got a t18 diff on there now - fits a lot better (surprisingly! ) but as mentioned above i dunno how im gonna join the two halves of the tailshaft. is there different tailshafts for t18's, or differences between k40/k50 gearbox's - i have k50 atm.

You shoudl be able to use the rear half of a T18 taillshaft with the front half of your K50 one from memory
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

maybe if i had of read the resposes (+ tried fitting it straight away!) a bit better i'd be driving my car alot earlier :-( yep turns out you use the whole t18 tailshaft - dont have to mess round changing front + rear halves! whoops my bad!

Ah, didnt realise that the K50s had the same number of splines as the T18 T50s. The AE86 T50s have extra splines so it doesnt bolt up, hence the changing around of halves.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence