Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ta22 window issues?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer weapon x's Avatar

Default ta22 window issues?

hey... i'm constantly having to fix my windows all the time...

but it's not the regulator that's the problem... i fixed that a few times by buying new ones...

it's when i'm winding my windows up or down the window itself falls out of the sleeve it's in. and then next thing you know it's jammed and off comes the inner panels to fix it again..

does anyone have any solutions for this problem...?

cheers
    jamie

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: ta22 window issues?

Last time i had this it was a kink in the rail, just required a bit of work straightening it out. Also seen it happen because part of the rail had shifted slightly, prying it back into place with a screwdriver fixed that one.

I would suggest that you take the trims off and wind the windows up and down several times to see where it shakes around or wobbles a bit before it falls out of the tracks. Thatll give you a good indication on what needs to be fixed.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Ok, this is a common issue with XA22/23 cars with the rear windows

The problem is the urethane bushes that slide up and down in the rail have perished and no longer exist(sorry takai, it wont be a kink, its a common problem with these vehicles, good thinking tho). There are a number of fixes you can do with this, many have been covered in the old forums. One is to convert to sliding door rollers in place of the original urethane sliding bushes. I did this with my left window, and decided not to do it with the right one, as the window is really hard to wind now and it was a lot of effort to do the conversion. Another solution is to have new bushes made(they are no longer available from toyota). I have found somebody in NZ who is willing to make up 4 bushes(enough to do both rear window verticle runners) for NZ$40. His email address is [email protected]

If anyone here in aus wishes to make these bushes for a similar price, that would be great. Perhaps nylon would be a good material to use.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Ah, i dont own an *A2* so i was just going through the common symptoms. Good to hear from an A2 authority though.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Owen, i can probly make the bushes, got a brand new one i can take the measurements of?

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Ok, this is a common issue with XA22/23 cars with the rear windows

The problem is the urethane bushes that slide up and down in the rail have perished and no longer exist(sorry takai, it wont be a kink, its a common problem with these vehicles, good thinking tho). There are a number of fixes you can do with this, many have been covered in the old forums. One is to convert to sliding door rollers in place of the original urethane sliding bushes. I did this with my left window, and decided not to do it with the right one, as the window is really hard to wind now and it was a lot of effort to do the conversion. Another solution is to have new bushes made(they are no longer available from toyota). I have found somebody in NZ who is willing to make up 4 bushes(enough to do both rear window verticle runners) for NZ$40. His email address is [email protected]

If anyone here in aus wishes to make these bushes for a similar price, that would be great. Perhaps nylon would be a good material to use.

Cheers, Owen
    Yep as above,but if you have a problem with the windows after installing them back in with the rollers then you havent adjusted the channel properly or didnt clean out the channel properly bacause when ive done the rollers on other TA's they have been like a dream.

Im actually thinking of writing up a tech doc on this as I have done it 7-8 times for other peoples TA's but still need to do my ST,so stay tuned.

Also dont bother going back to bushes,it was a shitty design to start with!

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

yeh, ive had this problem in the past with other old cars. and have the same one with my current 23. and i think its on all 4 windows which is a pain. both rears drop, and front passenger is almost impossible for any normal person to wind up/down...

luckily for me i have the strength of 27 men... and 2 women...

jeffro, would u be keen on doing like a group thing??
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

On another note about the channels.Before you even start to take the windo regs out I always get a black texta and just draw around the adjustment bolts.This then helps give you a gide as to where they are vs how to improve them and takes out alot of the guess work,if you havent dont this just look for wear marks as to where they sat bafore to give you a guide.

They are pretty easy when you get the hang of it.But always remember if it isnt running smoothly never force the window up or down as you will bend the reg or somewhere else and then your forked!!

cheers

nathan

For the effort of converting to the rollers, its not really worth it IMHO. Jeffro, ill help you every step of the way in making new bushes, myself and 2 other A2 owners here in townsville are after them... plus many more im sure.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

If i start making them after the 9th, it may be a bit slow but it will get done, Mainly because i am in the process of building 2 18rg's, and panel beating and spraying an ra28 and ill have to do them after work each day.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Here's some info that may help you adjust and fix your TA22 window issues...

I just uploaded this info to a free image site. I thought the images would come out, rather than the links. Meh... it still does the job. Hope this helps.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toyhead auto have someone in NZ make them.

They cost $36US through toyhead, yo can probly get a better price through the guy in NZ that is listed above tho

Anyhow this is the link, scroll down to exterior body and look for, quarter window track bushing kit.

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

There is a very simple fix for these bushes.

Run down to bunnings and buy these:

Then drill out these from the back.

Knock them out with a punch, and replace with the above roller.

Rinse and repeat for all bushes front and rear.

You'll now have fully ball raced, perfectly stable, smooth and tight windows!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    Toyhead auto have someone in NZ make them.

They cost $36US through toyhead, yo can probly get a better price through the guy in NZ that is listed above tho

Anyhow this is the link, scroll down to exterior body and look for, quarter window track bushing kit.

I think that the NZ fella for toyhead is the same NZ fella i linked. I got his details from classic-celica.com

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Grease Monkey

i got my sets of bushes of Mark (mrt1trd), good quality work and a perfect replacement. fully recommend them for anybody who's considering it.

cheers
    Matt