Thread: AE82 Gearbox swap

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default AE82 Gearbox swap

Hi All,

I have changed my old C52 gearbox with a newer gearbox (C56?) in my AE82 twincam.

Benifits of this are the relocated starter motor to the intake side and away from the heat of the exhaust and equal length driveshafts.

I had the equal length driveshaft setup running fine on the old gearbox setup. The problem is now that the passenger diveshaft is to long with the newer gearbox in place!

I have transplanted the output shaft / splined flange "bolt to the CV thing" but rotating the wheel by hand is clicky and resistive, driving there is a significant vibration. I pulled it appart again and inner joint is hard up against the "end plate" of the CV.

I have a "cup style" output shaft, I am thinking of changing the inner end over to this setup as this will give be about 20mm more "float" as it is "deeper" by about 20mm.

I cannot find a length on the web for a passenger driveshaft to check against the length of mine, although I can not see why this is an issue as searching toymods has uncovered this post http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...la+driveshafts which metnions that it _should_ work?

Any suggestions or information will be greatly welcomed!

Thanks

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: AE82 Gearbox swap

is the cv joint still in good nick? if its clicking just turning the wheel by hand. youd think that the cv has seen much better days.

another thing is, if the driveshaft is just to long, custom billet shafts can be made for around the 100 dollar mark which may be cheaper than replacing things.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940