Thread: online list of shock insert lengths?

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default online list of shock insert lengths?

i have some old cusco S13 front coilovers which have shock insert that can be changed. they look fairly basic, much like old corolla/celica ones only difference being they have a very short stroke.
    so im wondering if there is a listing somewhere that has extended and compressed lengths? i want one that has a longer stroke than the cusco as i intend to run the spring high up on the coilover and if the shock is longer the spring wont be already under tension before the car is on the ground.

i have the gabriel catalogue which is ok but doesnt list the lengths for insert type shocks, nor does the monroe, kyb or koni website.

anyone have any ideas?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Default Re: online list of shock insert lengths?

Not answering your question on inserts, I have tracked down a set of rebuildable cuscos and am getting a pair of longer shafts made up to replace existing shafts.

regards
    jon

that sounds pretty good, i know places like fulcrum can rebuild sealed shocks and what not.
    im just hoping for a standard item to replace my shocks, i only want to run 4kg/mm springs anyway.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Havent decided on my spring weight yet until i have the conversion done, will be aiming at a natural frequency of about 1.8/1.9hz.

regards
    jon

anyone got any suggestions? or know of a parts shop that isnt too lazy to open a couple of boxes of shocks? or a shop that might let me check some out?

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

There was a listing of some common ones on the old forums, will see if I can find it for you.

Callum

cheers for that mate, i knew i had seen a thread at some stage but could find anything.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

have you been to www.monroe.com ? they have an online catalog and in their 'extra documents' page or whatever there is a pdf listing all the codes with their lengths. Only problem is it wont tell you what part number came from which car... which is very frustrating.

yes i noticed that. and from what i can gather part numbers are different in the US to AUS? maybe im wrong.
    i do think that there is a general thread for all shock collars and pistons so all i need to worry about is getting one with the tube length and stroke.

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Just a theory lads, but from Rex's general damper experience (He manufacturers coilovers for a range of cars using a wide range of dampers given the cars usage) manufacturers stroke is the maximum it can be for any given damper cartrige.

What He means is that if your cartriges have a set body length there shouldnt be another cartrige the same that allows a longer stroke because of the physical limitations inside the cartrige body. A longer stroke necessitates a longer cartrige.

How this affects you:

If your coilovers are designed for a set cartrige size, you wont find longer stroke dampers that are a direct fit.

Also custom longer shafts will allow the dampers to bottom out and die before they contact the bump-stops

BUT...

modifications are fun.

As for an online reference, Rex knows not of any. The appendix of the monroe catalogue does however have all the info you need.
    Last edited by Rex_Kelway; 28-09-2006 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Rex sucks

thanks rex.
    i understand what you are saying, but i can only HOPE that my situation is different. i just measured my shock up today and it has a body length of 305mm, an extended length of 435mm and a stroke of 114mm. ill go through the lists/catalogues i have available to me now and find what best suites. if i cant get one with a longer extended length then ill have to live with it.