Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2JZGE into MX83

Nice ****** Grease Monkey rvrolla's Avatar

Default 2JZGE into MX83

Hi all,

I am playing around with the idea at the moment (read: trying to convince missus! )

I am not considering a 1J at all, so please dont tell me it is better blah blah I am simply after some info on the 2JZGE and what is required etc.

I have a 1992 MX83, so it has the later cross member and engine mounts, it is my understanding that I wont need JZX81 mounts or cross member. Unless there are front sump equipped 2JZGE's, I will need a front sump off a 1JZ - is there any changes required to fit this sump or is it a direct fit?
    Once sump is fitted it should slide straight into the old 7M's home. What Auto boxes came with the 2JZGE's? Will it fit into place in the MX83 with out modifications? I would like to use the auto from a front cut, hopefully it should have less km's and be in better cond. than my slipping old A340.

I would be looking at calling in the help of someone like sideshow to come in and do the wiring, but if it is fairly straight forward I am not bad with the solderng iron and not afraid of electronics at all. I would love to hear from anyone who may have some experience in this field. I was thinking of using the 7M loom and changing plugs, is this the norm?

I have never attempted an engine conversion before and have lots of questions!!

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Default Re: 2JZGE into MX83

From my cursory glances on the Cressida forums, there have been a few threads there about this. Searching there would be my first port of call.

GS300 2JZGE will have the right sump. A lot of 1JZGEs have front sumps, presumably from the lower spec MarkII in Japan. The auto will be the same but there may be differences in some of the speed sensors depending on whether your car or the donor car has ABS (hard to talk specifics).

I'd imagine you would need JZX81 mounts.

Some people have talked about using the 7M loom and ECU, but your best result will come from using the 2JZ loom and ECU. There will be a myriad subtle differences between the 7M and 2JZ looms such that, whilst you could do it, it would probably be easier to just splice the 2JZ loom into the MX83 loom. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who has never done that conversion.

From memory, with a 2JZGTE conversion some component of the motor fouls with the brake booster. The GE is much less bulky out the back there, but just check on the Cressida forums to make sure this isn't an issue with the NA motor.

Yeah I've been searching on there and quoted this thread there also, but everytime someone mentions 2J they all arch up saying just get a 1JZGTE etc. There's a wealth of knowledge here that probably doesn't frequent the Cressida forums.

I would use the 2JZ ECU, and look into splicing the 2JZ loom in.

It was my understanding it was the turbos that interfere with the brake booster?

Sounds right about the turbos - just remember something about that when Southo did his conversion. Like I said, the 2JZGE is much less bulky around there so I doubt there will be an issue, but it pays to make sure.

I suggest you just get on and do it. Won't be hard at all particularly if you get someone to do the wiring for you.

Where did you get yours from, and if you dont mind me asking, how much?

Thanks mate!

I got mine from Central Victorian Auto Parts (thankyou Andrew) as a bare engine. Can't remember the exact price but it was a while ago so probably irrelevant anyway. I used an aftermarket ECU so I wasn't fussed about the cut loom and lack of ECU.

On supraforums.com.au , you will find engines with looms and ECU for around 1000. Best bet is a halfcut but they seem to rarely pop up. I'd suggest ringing around the various import wreckers in your part of the world.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Just jap in kirrawee usually have engine packages available at a good price, but generally in supra sump configuration.

I would also get a package with uncut loom and 2JZGE ECU, first point of difference is the sequential injection from the 2J compared to batch fired from the 7m.

If you get the package make sure the ignitor and coil have been included.

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

*subscribes to topic* (7M will be thrown in the garbage when the next head gasket blows ).

and rvrolla... take lots of pictures once the conversion commences. It will help alleviate the barrage of questions you will be facing when i come to doing the conversion.
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).

Feel free to go ahead and be the pioneer!

I am looking at around March if I am to do anything. I want to do as much research now, before I think about ordering anything.

haha screw being a pioneer! I'm glad someone else is finally going to do it. Being a pioneer is expensive and a total headfuck.
    Simon.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Pioneer?? HA!!

Piss easy conversion

Purchase 2JZGE with loom and ecu, front sump, preferably an auto with slip yoke.
    Purchase JZX81 alloy mounts.
    Put mounts on block
    Insert motor, bolt everything up.
    Some custom radiator hoses (if not same as factory)/heater hoses
    Some wiring splicing, extend alternator wiring
    RA6x power steering lines, or long custom lines.
    Few other small bits (throttle cable etc)

Your tacho will work, your speedo will work, your temp guage will work.
    A/C lines are the same (I assume the compressor is different though)

Drive off.
    Do skids.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Pioneer?? HA!!

Piss easy conversion
    Well has anyone that you know of done it before? Pioneer in my books means doing something that's not been done before or without instructions.
    Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    If you get the package make sure the ignitor and coil have been included.
    Don't quote me but I'm almost 100% certain that a 4AGE coil and ignitor are the same.

Maybe someone with a functional EPC could do a cross reference?

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Don't forget, the 2JZGE comes with both 4 and 5 speed autos too. I have motors, boxes and incidentals here if you need measurements/parts and the like. I was once propositioned with the thought of running a 2JZ on a 7M computer - the guy's theory was that the AFM allowed better fuel metering and therefore better economy. I thought about it for a millisecond and decided to keep my 2JZ computer and loom!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

For the sake of completeness I have posted this on Thermactor as well. But here it is here too:
    Yeah, i have seriously considered 2Jing my MX83, which is one of the reasons I'm not rebuilding a 7M for it just yet.
    The 2JZGE conversion would be very similar to Southos, except without some of the turbo heartache.
    Infact, i daresay it would be quite similar to any other engine conversion. Just use the JZX81 engine mounts, and build it the same as the 1JZ conversions. I have had a 1J 2J and 7M side by side and bar the turbos there doesnt seem to be anything major which might hit. You may need custom extractors though to clear the steering column.

I'm not sure about wiring up the A350 with the stock dash and auto bits, but thats ok, because I'm considering mating one to a W58 which should handle the NA 2JZ.
    And on another note, anyone know if there is a W > JZ bellhousing from factory, or would i be making one up aftermarket?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence