Thread: RA23/28 Factory Specs - for the life of me, Please!

TorquePilot 1st year Apprentice

Default RA23/28 Factory Specs - for the life of me, Please!

Please someone... Spare my Sanity!!

I'm trying to find factory specs on all the *A23/28 Celicas to peddle through the meddling RTA... you know, for all that hoop-jumping crap... all I wanna do is shove dirty great engines into poxy small bodies and all they wanna do is stop me. What's their game about anyway? anyone... anyone at all...??

I've already found Drive.com.au has a nifty little "Ta-DAAA" thingy that brings up specs but two things - 1. I don't like their specs since they've been out on me before and 2. even if they're right, they're not the specs I want to see. I'm after the weight figures for all iterations of TA23's, RA23's and RA28's (i.e LT, ST, GT, etc...), surely there's a set of figures in all of those that'll work for me. How can this be so hard to find? even the factory plates on the three bodies in my back yard don't give me a GVM!

Handy Hint on a new forum for this Website... Factory Specs and Docs - in PDF even...
    If you were insanely fetish about power, how would it be personified??

Current Projects: 2JZ-GTE/6speed RA23 and RA28, 1UZ-FZE/6speed RA28, XR6T/6speed TC Cortina - All with Mk3/Mk4 Supra suspension

RA23 vs 2JZ-GTE Part 2 (Now with Pics) - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?p=126140

Old School Fanatic... Automotive Encyclopaedia jezz's Avatar

Default Re: RA23/28 Factory Specs - for the life of me, Please!

Scott

Talk to ChuckLandwher on these forums he knows your pain as has gotten a whole heap of these details before also speak to Celica28 he is very well versed in things Toyota and should be able to get you some info.

I will PM you more details.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Bottom line: Life's too short, drive something you love.
    Canberra Celica Group

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Scotty, the most accurate source of the weigt information, is the manufacturers "Owners Manual" the little green book supplied new with Celica's

My '77 book gives all dimensions for coupe, and hatchbacks,LT,ST, and GT.
    However, this book does not list weights!! My TA22 books do!!!!!.

The rules Dickson are following are : NA engine capacity in cc's can not exceed 4x the wieght of the vehicle in kg's. ie, if you have a thousand kilo car, your MAX NA engine capacity is 4000cc, or 4 litres.

Forced induction has the multiplier lowered to a value of 2.5. So your 1,000kg car can now only be fitted with a forced induction engine capacity of 2500cc's, or 2.5 litres.

To fit a 2JZ-GTE engine, your car must weigh 1200kg's, check your RA23/RA28 rego papers, you are about 180kg's too light.

Change every external panel, firewall and floorpan, so it does not resemble any registered road car, and build it/ engineer it as a one off kit car.

Rod Try on these forums (Board Member) will be able to supply you with all the Celica weights, but unfortuneately that is still not going to help in your situation.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

my rego paper reads 1040 and thats a TA23,

now with a 1G w58 and a hilux big heavy 15s it weighed in at 1125kgs

that includes all mods that need to be done so unless your going to build a all out drag car i dont think you will get a 2J in there
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

RA23 GT I remember reading it to be 1008 kurb weight. RA28 is closer to 1080. Find out the weight difference between an 18R (-C) and a 2JZGTE. Theres probably 50 or so kg there. Add bigger wheels, G series hilux diff etc etc, and your getting closer. Put in some electric front seats, a fat 'ho etc, and you should get up to the required 1200kgs.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    RA23 GT I remember reading it to be 1008 kurb weight. RA28 is closer to 1080. Find out the weight difference between an 18R (-C) and a 2JZGTE. Theres probably 50 or so kg there. Add bigger wheels, G series hilux diff etc etc, and your getting closer. Put in some electric front seats, a fat 'ho etc, and you should get up to the required 1200kgs.

Cheers, Owen
    it's based on the factory GVM, not the weight with your mods.
    and in NSW the RTA have standard figures for your vehicle.

What a PITA. Surely there is something you can do to increase the amount of capacity... structural strengthening etc.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey mchieff's Avatar

Heaviest weight i can find factory spec is a RA28GT - 1116KG's.
    Still don't think that'll get the 2JZGTE in - in NSW i believe its 2.5x weight in kilo's = maximum cc's of forced induction motor which is 2790cc's max. Dunno what ACT is but with that figure (obtained here: http://celica.dublet.org/reference.pl?celica=RA28%20GT). the 2JZ-GTE will never make it. The 1JZ has always been the biggest that you can put in there and make it legal to my knowledge (unless you go the full on engineering route - $$$)
    BTW: My 1GGZE 23 only weighed 1080kg's (W58, T diff, 15" heavy rims) on the weighbridge for engineering.
    As an aside i can't find a thing on RA23GT's - only TA23GTs (1014kgs). Did RA23GT's really exist? Or only RA35 coupe GT's?
    Last edited by mchieff; 21-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    1976 Toyota Celica RA23 - 1G-GZE
    Dailys:
    2008 Toyota Hilux SR5 4L 5 Speed Dual Cab
    2016 Kia Optima GT

Hmm... 1JZGTE with 2JZGTE internals and head anyone??

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen