Thread: 4agze / recommended microtech installers

****yas Grease Monkey

Default 4agze / recommended microtech installers

g'day, i was wondering if anyone is reputable for doin a microtech on a gze. i was thinking rotomotion up in guilford, they did a mates vl turbo and had good service and whatnot.

anyone know anywhere good, or anywhere i should stay away from

cheers

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze / recommended microtech installers

How are you with wires and soldering?
    Its pretty easy if you wanted to do it your self.. Thats if you have an original loom.

Im not sure of WA guys soorry.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

i got the old loom, cut the plugs and fitted them to the new loom supplied by microtech. took a few hours and looks really neat.
    i added new plugs so i could seperate the loom if i needed. and new plugs and fittings for things like fuel pump and coils
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

****yas Grease Monkey

i dont like electrics, i was planning on a drive in drive out type deal, i want the car goin pretty soon. the wiring in it is currently messy as, but i guess its all there..

however, with that said - i could do it, how much would you really save by doing it yourself?

i think at rotomotion its about (and dont take my word on it) $1500 drive in, drive out all nice and tuned

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

Sounds a bit expensive to me, I would think a few hundred to install it maximum, (thats still about $30 per wire) and a few hundred to tune it, microtechs don't take long, less than 2 hours actually running on a dyno is generally more than enough, so under $900 for the lot would be what I would aim for

****yas Grease Monkey

900 including the computer??? i thought they went for over a grand alone?
    i rang up and its actually $2000 drive in drive out tuned.. it does seem expensive hey

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

the wiring in it is currently messy as, but i guess its all there..
    This is one reason why a lot of places will quote what seems to be a high price over the phone (or when you turn up and they see the state of the wiring). They would have had many wiring nightmares turn up and have had to sort it all out on top of wiring in the new ECU = $$$$.

Wiring up a microtech is dead easy but dropping off a car with a rats nest of wiring and a new ecu will never be cheap. I am sure if a nice neat install and associated wiring were dropped off somewhere for an ECU install it would be cheaper.

Any quality workshop will sort out all the wiring and the new loom so they don't have you back in a week with intermittent electrical issues they have to try and sort out.

You often get what you pay for with regards to tuning and auto electrics.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Roflcopter Pilot Backyard Mechanic thu187's Avatar

Don't flame me if I'm wrong.
    I've been told it's better to try and go with the gze ecu and that aftermarket doesn't really handle it as well. The supercharger is a clutch type supercharger so with the gze ecu it will only be on when you poot your foot down however this is difficult to manage with aftermarket so it's left always on.
    [T]echnology is the only [R]eplacement for [D]isplacement

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by caibs
    900 including the computer??? i thought they went for over a grand alone?
    i rang up and its actually $2000 drive in drive out tuned.. it does seem expensive hey

sorry I didn't realise you don't have a ecu, I think they retail for about $1050 for LT8 so 2 grand isn't far off mabye a little on the high side but if they do it properly might be worth it.

I have seen some GZE's are are pretty hard to get to run well on microtechs especially idle, If you can I would try to go standard managment would be cheaper, or maybe look at an adaptronic about the same price but more possibilitys with idle control and lots of outputs and rpm maps etc to turn supercharger on and off etc

****yas Grease Monkey

yeah thanks for the replys guys, i'm putting a new motor in in the next few weeks, if it still has problems (i think it should be fine with the std ecu though) then i will be ripping the blower stuff off, putting my turbo gear on and getting a microtech installed. i think if im going to get an aftermarket ecu, i may as well put the turbo gear on because its not that much more hassle.

cheers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thu187
    I've been told it's better to try and go with the gze ecu and that aftermarket doesn't really handle it as well. The supercharger is a clutch type supercharger so with the gze ecu it will only be on when you poot your foot down however this is difficult to manage with aftermarket so it's left always on.
    The engagement of the supercharger clutch (switching the supercharger on/off) is easily managed by any aftermarket ECU with at least one auxilary output. You can then set the parameters for switching the clutch on/off quite easily and it will be just as effective as the factory system.................the rest of the comparison between factory and aftermarket ECUs comes down to the quality of the tune and installation.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1