Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power steering lines-single or double flare?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Default power steering lines-single or double flare?

I gotta make up some new power steering lines for my corona to suit the 1ggte. I have the 3/8 tubing but im not sure if I need to flare the ends single or double flare. I have a dodgy flare tool kit and can easily do a single flare (which I think it is) but just want to make sure im not wasting my time when I should be doing a double. I did a few practise jobs and my single looks very similar to the factory flare except for a bit of extra meat around the flared edges if that makes any scense. Any advice would be great.
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: power steering lines-single or double flare?

Woh, way over my head, but I'ts something that im going to have to do myself, I'm doing this conversion too and i've just finished the mounts and geeez the 1G squished the poor old corona mounts. anyway, Are you gonna use the p/steer pump that came with the engine and just plumb it with custom tubing to the corona rack? Cuz thats what i was planning on doing too, Also did your standard corona 2 piece tailshaft go into the W58 box ok? as in lenth wise? as mines a little short.

Firstly with the flares, double flare is the go I have found.

Yes im using the 1g pump and going to plumb it back to the rack. Looks failly straight forward. Im also adding a small cooler for the power steering fluid on the return line. In my old corona with IRS I used the stock tailshaft. If you have mounted the gearbox in its stock location the stock tailshaft thould work.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Low-pressure side of the pump? single flare will do. High-pressure side - go to pirtek.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Sponsor Backyard Mechanic Soarer21's Avatar

Looking at stock toyota power steer lines the other day on my GX71 and they are single flare if that helps.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    Low-pressure side of the pump? single flare will do. High-pressure side - go to pirtek.
    What he said. Low-pressure side is easy to deal with, there should be little or no pressure in those lines. High pressure side sees VERY high pressure so even double flare will be inadequate!

So what other flare could it be? Im now sure its a double flare where the fitting screws into the pump and the rack and I know you cant just hose clamp a flexible line in between, it has to be crimped....am I missing something here??

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Double flare.
    You may encounter probs with the material work hardening. If you cannot do it, then take it to Pirtek.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

OK I get it, ya see my corona was auto, and therefore using auto tailshaft... so theres a little fact... the rt142's with IRS and 2-piece shaft has different lenths for manual and auto.

So anyway... have you been driving ya rona around all this time without power assist working?

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I find conversion hoses can always be managed by gathering a collection of old Toyota PS hoses, and cutting+joining them together to suit. Much cheaper than getting new lines made up...

Quote Originally Posted by Pube
    So what other flare could it be? Im now sure its a double flare where the fitting screws into the pump and the rack and I know you cant just hose clamp a flexible line in between, it has to be crimped....am I missing something here??
    What you are missing is reliable information. Toyota are quite happy to use single flare fixtures for their power steer high pressure lines. On the racks it varies between a single flare and a banjo fitting. I have attached a picture of the high pressure feed line from my 1994 JZX90 1JZGTE power steer pump that goes to the rack. As you can plainly see, it is a SINGLE flare.

I guess it is always possible that Toyota and god knows how many other manufacturers have got it wrong and that in fact they should have done a bit more research on the internet forums before designing their cars with single flare fittings...

That is a double flare. Talk about "missing the right information". edit again: according to what I can see. If the material is too thick, then most flaring tools simply will not cope. /edit.

http://www.chevelles.com/tools/tl4.html.
    Last edited by YelloRolla; 11-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    That is a double flare. Talk about "missing the right information". edit again: according to what I can see. If the material is too thick, then most flaring tools simply will not cope. /edit.

http://www.chevelles.com/tools/tl4.html.
    Talk about speaking with little knowledge.
    I have the precise part right in front of me, and I double checked before taking the picture. If you would like to drive on over I'll show it to you.

edit- If you look at the images on that link you provide you will note the double flare results in a lip being present inside the line. I have $200 here for anyone that can come here and prove the power steer line on my JZX90 is a double flare.
    Last edited by Soarer21; 11-10-2006 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added bottom line

To me it appears to be a double flare. I am looking inside the flare at where the straight tube meets the flare and at the top (as edited "according to what I can see'). But as you said you have the part.

I have been wrong before, and chances are I will be wrong again. Splitting it vertically would show whether or not is double flared (enough for me to see).

I also agree that if the material is too thick to double flare, then it is more likely a single flare.

The most important aspect of the double flare (from my experience) is with the design of the nipple/tube nut to get in far enough to seal, some nipples have the first few threads turned off to be able to achieve this. I recommend tightening the nipple in by hand and seeing if there is any movement in the pipe, if the rattle around like a dick is a sleeve, then it most likely needs to be double flared. The relevance of what is needed does not hinge on the part that you have in front of you.

I did a few practise jobs and my single looks very similar to the factory flare except for a bit of extra meat around the flared edges if that makes any scense. Any advice would be great.
    Last edited by YelloRolla; 11-10-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

the PS high pressure line on my wagon has single flare joints at both the pump and rack