Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mgte head gasket

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 7mgte head gasket

Hey guys i have done a search couldnt find what im looking for and am still undicided about a metal head gasket or one from toyota, which is the right one to go ive currently got 180kw atw on 8psi but wouldnt mind getting the ct26 high flowed and run a little more boost what would be best?

thanks
    85' MA61 7mgte. 180.9 rwkw on 8psi

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Default Re: 7mgte head gasket

If you want to go harder with boost a metal shim gasket and head studs wont hurt, depends on your budget or go shim gasket and new bolts for cheaper way out.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

yep -- You cant go wrong with a metal head gasket. they are far better than the std gasket esp when upping the boost.

They arent indestructable though

Toymods member no 341 Domestic Engineer amichie's Avatar

Try Cometic.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

A metal head gasket may not be the greatest solution unless youre 100% positive that the block surface is perfect. Whilst it's easy to get a head machined to a state that will work with a MHG, a block will need to be removed from the car and all but stripped so the deck can be milled.
    If you want to spend the money to do this properly it's absolutely worthwhile, but if you dont have the funds then you may end up with more problems. A MHG is much less forgiving to an uneven block surface than the factory graphite gasket.
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Im running the new version of Toyota's 7M H/G. I suspect a BHG atm, I am in the same spot as you 180rwkw on 8 pound with a high flow turbo.

If i confirm a BHG I will be going a cometic h/g or metal

If it has blown it may have been due to the flogging it recived while the car was stolen, having said that I probably drive it almost as hard.

Stitt
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStitt
    If it has blown it may have been due to the flogging it recived while the car was stolen, having said that I probably drive it almost as hard.
    Whats this probably business Stitty?
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Feel free to correct me, but I think I've heard the cometic HG doesn't require the block to machined?? My understanding is that the standard Toyota finish is smooth enough for the Cometic??
    They call them fingers.... but i've never seen them fing!!!!

It would depend on what sort of life the engine has had. You might find an oilstone and some RP7 like I used will provide a nice surface if it's not at all damaged. Ultimately though, no metal gasket, not even the Cometic one will be as forgiving as the graphite one.

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

whatever you decide on id make sure it is a good solution as these motors are prone to blowing headgaskets quite easily.

you can get normal headgaskets graphite/asbestos/fiberous/metal mesh stuff, copper headgaskets and steel headgaskets for most common motors.

i saw that some people use sealer, paint, grease on it even soak it in oil but i havent looked into that, i prefer most gaskets dry so removal is easy except on water/oil gaskets when sealer is needed or recommended. there are special coatings too for head gaskets that would probably be more suitable.

make sure the surfaces are flat or get them machined if they are out of spec as this is pretty important, especially on an inline 6 which is a longer surface.

look into o-ring and gasket materials on google, quite a bit of tech on it all
    Last edited by styler; 20-09-2006 at 11:06 AM.

I used a large oilstone with some RP7, got a really nice surface I was happy with, then I got some wax and grease remover and a nice cloth and cleaned it off. I then coated all the surfaces, block head and both sides of gasket with Hylomar. She's held up so far of over 17psi every day

Gaters gonna Gate Conversion King Stomps's Avatar

hey, i used a cometic MHG when i did my last hg.. no issues with it so far, i got the head machined all proper n shit, but i prepped the block myself, i got is as good as i can, and so far it has been ok.. i been driving round with 230rwkw at 13psi for over a year now and have had no HG issues.. also used ARP head studs

It seems that the cometic ones atleast have an inbuilt "rubber" surround that acts like a sealant..

Previously i used a HKS MHG $800 and got some TRD sealant crap (not cheap... not cheap at all) with ARP head studs and also had no issues.. Prob a little over the top though, considering the old motor was only making 250rwhp..

Stomps

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

updcated toyota factory gasket here.

$1800 spent replacing a bunch of shit and reconditioning the head.

9,000k's later, BHG.

Eldar.O.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks for all your help im currently getting the head machined and valve seals done the head is in very good condition looks just like new does anyone know a good place in brisbane to get a cometic MHG think thats the go.
    85' MA61 7mgte. 180.9 rwkw on 8psi

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Smile Re: 7mgte head gasket

And I will bet London to a brick that 90% of head gaskets are blown by boost before an engine reaches operating temperature.Warm the bloody thing up before youseall stick the boot in .to let the alloy expand.and if you don't use Hylomar you need your head [brain] read. regards crownman.0412 711 481.