Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cry 02 Cooling System. Your opinions???

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Default Re: Cry 02 Cooling System. Your opinions???

But, but, they use this on Too Fast Too Furious, so it must work?!?!?

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLK1g-gte
    Out of curiosity anyone know would the CO2 actually lower the intake temp bellow ambient while its spraying on the cooler?
    And if so how beneficial would this be???
    because when carbon dioxide goes from liquid to gas (interestingly CO2 is one of the few substances that sublimes - goes directly from a solid to gaseous state. It can only be made into a liquid when compressed at greater than 5 bar of pressure) it is at -78.5 degrees.. which is substantially colder than ambient
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    how they "cheated in a very smart way" with the intercooler is well known?

perhaps you could use your knowledge to enlighten the younger generation.. instead of just hinting
    They used a diffrent sized intercooler than was in the holomogation. Like most things that are done with production type cheat! no big mystery nothing you can do with an intercooler beside make it bigger.Same as whats the easest way to get easy HP out of an atmo race engine if you dont have the money to spend like the people winning! add capacity.
    One minute people want to reinvent the wheel the next they want the most basic stuff spoon fed. So much for using grey matter.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingmick
    They used a diffrent sized intercooler than was in the holomogation. Like most things that are done with production type cheat!

One minute people want to reinvent the wheel the next they want the most basic stuff spoon fed. So much for using grey matter.
    .They also cheated with intercooler size in a very smart way
    and some people think changing a part that has been homologated is a "very smart way" to cheat...

so...if they just changed to a different sized one... that is hardly "very smart"...

you hint as though you know something special about some modification that was used to get around the rules...... but it was just plain part substitution for a part that was not allowed, in an act of pure cheating...
    why would you say it was very smart when it wasn't? what was that about using grey matter?

edit: i am truly dissappointed. i thought you were going to share some technical knowledge about IC design or some such..... but instead, gutter tactics are considered smart
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Smart because as the story goes they thought he was cheating and inspected the intercooler then he produced another oversized intercooler wrap just like the official nissan plasctic in a sealed nissan box which once seen by the scrutineers, kept them happy!
    some of the story was in zoom a few years ago others get passed down in the pits over the years.
    I have never been involed with cheating but always involed with pushing things to the limit and making smart interpretations of the rules.

Some cheating is very smart but still cheating.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

I personally would not bother with a branded carbon dioxide system.

If you want a system, make up an I/C spray bar, and buy a Co2 fire extinguisher.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    But, but, they use this on Too Fast Too Furious, so it must work?!?!?
    you beat me to it
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Im still just a......... Backyard Mechanic NoRecall's Avatar

There was a bathurst winning car that used to spray onto the intercooler, it lasted 40 seconds or something like that but it got them pole a few times.
    dosnt last long and would only be good onto the cooler with decent abient air temp and only worked because the said car was cheating{higher than allowed boost} so needed to keep control of the charged air when they hit the boost button down conrod, was only used for qualifying for obvious reasons.They also cheated with intercooler size in a very smart way
    NISSAN POWER!!!!!! that would be the Bathurst Spec Z18TE powered Bluebird!
    They had realy big Light covers on the dash, these light covers skrewed off and ..... what'd ya know theres a boost controller behind them!!

And they only go pole Once, my due it was on the old bathurst track (long conrod straight, no caltex straight) and that lap time still stands.
    On race day they did a turbo(? from memory) on the second lap. but the noise it makes just drowns out the V8s' and Serrira's around it.
    From Tassie?
    Join Up with ToyoTas Now - http://toyotas.proboards.com/ - The First Toyota Car Club in Tas

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psylent_Knight
    And they only go pole Once, my due it was on the old bathurst track (long conrod straight, no caltex straight) and that lap time still stands.
    On race day they did a turbo(? from memory) on the second lap. but the noise it makes just drowns out the V8s' and Serrira's around it.
    The lap time only still stands because you can't race Bathurst without Caltex Chase anymore, despite that the time is still slower then the current cars lap the new track in anyway.
    If in doubt power out

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Thats smart cheating, changing IC sizes isnt so smart.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

What's going on there dude? That picture sux!

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

what's that guy pointing at in that last pic? I'm not familiar with intimate details of how turbos work.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

For all the younguns or uneducated, thats the TTE variable restrictor. Basically when it was open for inspection it looked exactly like a normal restrictor. But through funky engineering when it was clamped down the middle section extended slightly to allow more airflow around the restrictor, thereby effectively increasing crosssection by about 5mm or so.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

I assume tis the reason why The celica got banned from WRC but not sure just a wild gues.
    If in doubt power out

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

aahhh, ok - thats nothing like what i thought the restrictor would've looked like. I always thought it'd be further up the intake rather than part of the turbo. Heh, i was just googling up the toyota wrc scandal as an example of clever cheating. Soz - off topic.