Thread: F series diff centre for drift - Torsen or clutch type?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default F series diff centre for drift - Torsen or clutch type?

I need a diff centre for an F series for my drift car. While it does get other use, the whole point of this car is to be good for drifting. It has had a fair bit of other engine, driveline and suspension work done to it.

There seems to be plenty of experience with Torsens on the road and track (they are good) however I have heard rumours they aren't as good as a good clutch-type 2way for drift. Having said that these are only unsubstantiated rumours.

Now has anyone had any experience on the differences drifting these two types of diff?

Hen

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: F series diff centre for drift - Torsen or clutch type?

is a torsen 2 way at all?

the 2 way cltuch pack is good for dorifto since when you are engine braking, and cornering, it will try to act like a locker and the back will step out..... since the idea is to loose traction (regardless of what the kiddies say about needing more traction for dorift).

since the torsen is designed to lock up on accel, but not decel (iirc), then maybe you will need to have a fooly sik dorifto handbrake knob to break rear wheel traction?

2 way clutch pack for the dorifto loosing traction wi-n....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Not your average Grease Monkey nb86's Avatar

another vote for the two way. the things are horrible for street driving, and pretty much everything except drift. initiating a weight shift induced drift is near impossible to do smoothly without a 2 way. the torsen is much smoother in it's lock up, and doesn't kill you when braking in the wet. much more track day and street freindly, not good for dorifto though.
    This is a really far out, witty and clever signature.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

nb, when you say Torsen's aren't good for drift, what exactly do you mean? It is this sort of statement I have heard before but want to know the reasoning behind it.

Currently I run a locker, so I know all about the downsides of a tight 2way.

Hen

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

I used a truetrac when drifting. It seemed to do what it was spoze to ie. drive both wheels instead of 1! I dont really know what people mean either when it comes to torsens and drifting?
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

I would think that the aggressiveness of the 2 way is what helps upset the cars balance initially. I'd be inclined to go 2 way, just because it's proven and works effectively for a little sideways action. Sure most people won't change the initial preload on the clutch packs, but having the option of making it, more/less bitey is there, rather than the "set" lock up charicteristics of a torsen.

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Hen you can drive my car with a 2 WAY and a 4AC and then see how much better it is than a 2 way.

I am in the same boat as you as I have heard Torsens aren't the best for drifting. Either way, I know the feeling of a 2 way and the way it works is always consitent and ever reliable.

I will be going for a OS Giken, Tomei or Cusco, as these are avaliable for the F series.

And Rona has been looking at this stuff a little too. See what he reckons.

Jez
    R.I.P Peter Brock.

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

the drift king said torsens were no good for drifting, i think his exact words were

"when the line pushing walrus torsen not good super special but 2 way clutch very"

whats wrong with el locko? if you run a proper diff you will have to come up with new stickers.

jez, you owe me 20 bucks and your T series
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Not your average Grease Monkey nb86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    nb, when you say Torsen's aren't good for drift, what exactly do you mean? It is this sort of statement I have heard before but want to know the reasoning behind it.

Currently I run a locker, so I know all about the downsides of a tight 2way.

Hen
    i actually sort of answered this above. anyway, a torsen doesn't give a positive two wheel engagement when braking, thus making brake/weight shift induced slides more difficult than with a two way.
    This is a really far out, witty and clever signature.