Thread: fitting new torque converter in 1jz

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Default fitting new torque converter in 1jz

Ok, I am having serious issues getting my modified jzx81 chaser converter in.

I have measured it up and it is the same size basically as the stock one. It fits onto the gearbox spline perfectly.

First, I mounted the converter on the engine and fitted the gearbox to it and was going to line the splines up. We got the bellhousing about 5mm away and at that stage the harmonic balancer bolt couldn't be turned easily so I assume that is pressure the crank somehow.

So I rang Sean aka MS75 and he said to fit the converter to the auto first and then attach to engine. So did that. Was trying to get the mounting tabs matched up but when we turned the harmonic balancer the converter turned as well so we backed off the bolts on the bellhousing until we could line them up. Got it lined up and got 2 bolts in located perfectly.

Start to tighten bellhousing bolts again and again about 5mm out the harmonic balancer has become stiff. I have no idea how it can happen. Can someone give me some hints as to WTF I am doing wrong?

I did notice that when I put the converter on the engine I had to give it a couple of good hits to get it all the way in to the mounting tabs but I don't think that is the case as I can see that they are lined up and they are mounted now.

Any help would be great as I started this project Saturday at 8am. Really pissed off at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Default Re: fitting new torque converter in 1jz

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    Ok, I am having serious issues getting my modified jzx81 chaser converter in.

I have measured it up and it is the same size basically as the stock one. It fits onto the gearbox spline perfectly.

First, I mounted the converter on the engine and fitted the gearbox to it and was going to line the splines up. We got the bellhousing about 5mm away and at that stage the harmonic balancer bolt couldn't be turned easily so I assume that is pressure the crank somehow.

So I rang Sean aka MS75 and he said to fit the converter to the auto first and then attach to engine. So did that. Was trying to get the mounting tabs matched up but when we turned the harmonic balancer the converter turned as well so we backed off the bolts on the bellhousing until we could line them up. Got it lined up and got 2 bolts in located perfectly.

Start to tighten bellhousing bolts again and again about 5mm out the harmonic balancer has become stiff. I have no idea how it can happen. Can someone give me some hints as to WTF I am doing wrong?

I did notice that when I put the converter on the engine I had to give it a couple of good hits to get it all the way in to the mounting tabs but I don't think that is the case as I can see that they are lined up and they are mounted now.

Any help would be great as I started this project Saturday at 8am. Really pissed off at the moment
    My first thought was that you have stuffed something in the front of the box from the first attempt.
    The mounting tabs are the same lenght as std and the conv sits back the same as it did with the std one doesn't it?

Fit the conv to the box lining up the tabs then give it a couple of spins while pushing it back into the box.It should give a clunk and sit way back in the bell housing.

When a converter is fitted right it usually has to be pulled foward with the converter bolts to sit on the drive plate. Or in other words they are meant to have a lot of clearance to fit the box then you bolt up the converter.

Good luck with it all and hope nothing is broken.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

yea what he said ^

you just have to be careful and try to feel the converter going over the splines, it should slot in and then you will need to jiggle it jiggle it (kramer style) to seat it all the way in.

i know joel had same problems doing a mates 1jz but after learnign from him it was no problem putting my aristo converter into the gearbox.

good luck and dont forget to jiggle

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

the auto has 3 splines
    first 2 are proper spline and the last bit that the converter ocks into is the oil pump drive tabs

it is a pain to do if your not experienced in doin autos

never ever bolt conveter to engine and tyr to line up box that way
    u have 1 in a million change of fluking it on
    and most times can bend flex plate or fuk oil pump in auto if u do bolts up tight

easiest way is to sit gbox upright pain to do so out put shaft is on floor and bellhousing is facing up
    first look for rough position of oil pump tabs and line them up
    gently drop converter in and fell for 1str spline
    then spin it and feel for 2nd spline will drop afew more mm

then gently wiggle and turn till it drops the 3rd time

u can do it with box lying flat but a bit hard to line up

once u do it it gets easier for next time

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

^ Agree with above sentiments. The oil pump drive is always fun, somehow you just gradually get the feel for putting them in, but it's almost impossible to explain - just something you kind of pick up on with practice. The converter MUST be right in before you try to bolt the engine on, and it should naturally sit a little bit too far back and need pulling forward a few mm to come to the flex plate.

Is it the engine that refuses to turn, or have you broken the oil pump - i.e. does the converter turn over nicely by hand?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

As the other guys have said need to put torque converter right into trans first.

Give the spigot on torque converter and the hole in end of crank a light sand to get any paint/rust off and check for burrs, should be firm but not need hitting if lined up properly.

Get the belhousing bolts done right up before bolting up torqe converter, that waay will be lined up spot on when pulling spigot into crank.

regards
    jon

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic M.J.H's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonra23
    As the other guys have said need to put torque converter right into trans first.

Give the spigot on torque converter and the hole in end of crank a light sand to get any paint/rust off and check for burrs, should be firm but not need hitting if lined up properly.

Get the belhousing bolts done right up before bolting up torqe converter, that waay will be lined up spot on when pulling spigot into crank.

regards
    jon

Yep all that to.
    Is usually a good idea when the bellhousing is all bolted up to give the converter a spin if you can by reaching in through the starter hole or use a screwdriver through a bolt hole on the flex plate.
    Doesn't need to spin much just checking it is still free to turn is all.
    My sig has been pruned as it was over 5 lines long.

yeah, the converter still spins fine. Each time it started to get stiff we backed the bolts off straight away so I don't think anything is damaged.

I will pull the box out again and make sure it drops in 3 times!

So, if you do all the bell housing bolts up fully and the converter is still away from the flex plate a little, how do you bring it closer? Or is it only a small gap which should be able to be pulled in with the converter mounting tab bolts?

Thanks everyone, rep coming
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Should be only a small gap, may need a slightly longer bolt to start to draw it forward.

Or a screwdriver through the starter hole.

regards
    jon

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

yeah chris i did that the first time aswell, i bolted the converter to the drivplate, and stuffed my pump

second time i didn't have it in far enough, third time i got it right on, all 3 drops by same way most have said, turning the box on it end and standing it up by that time the box was totally fucked. fourth with a new box was piss easy just dropped in and was fine, the converter sits about 3mm away from the driveplate, as you put the bolts in it pulls it closer.

you will find even with the mounting tabs off the drive plate the converter still spins with the plate, i freaked out and tought they were touching, but its the hat in the middle that touches and makes it spin. a couple of hard jolts on the crank lined the holes up
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

awesome I shall be set to get this bastard in tonight!

I am bloodly lucky as the last time we swapped the autos over the converter was left on the engine and when we put it back on we just tightened the bellhousing bolts. It eventually made a popping sound which must have been the oil pump locking in

Auto and converter were fine though.

Live and learn
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Got it all in last night. I don't think it is possible to find the 3rd drop without having the box upright. Still took about 2 mins to find.

All back in now, other stuff to do before I can start the car and test it.
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ