Thread: Starter Motor Wiring 4age Smallport - Ke30

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Starter Motor Wiring 4age Smallport - Ke30

Hi peoples,
    A few questions. I have searched everywhere for info and looked at diagrams but im finding it a little hard to understand.

The only wire i need info on is the trigger for the starter.

Im using the standard Smallport 100kw loom with a microtech Lt10's wired into it. So it all looks factory.

Where does the trigger wire go from the starter spade plug?
    Does it connect to multiple sections of the loom or does it just stop somewhere?

With the loom fully plugged in, the spade plug is earthed, just like factory. However how would i get to work like standard. As in when the key is cranking i get a positive wire. I know that i need to use a relay but i need to find the other end of the trigger wire at the ECU side.

I could run a wire from the original point on the ke30 loom for the old starter motor but its on the otherside of the engine bay and i dont want to re-run a wire unless i absolutly have to.

I hope this all makes sense
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Starter Motor Wiring 4age Smallport - Ke30

umm.. power from start position on key, goes to relay to turn it on. power from that relay goes to the starter solenoid spade...

the spade plug is earthed??
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

In my AE82 smallport. The spade plug is getting continuity with earth i should say. I guess that is something to do with the relays that may be connected to it.

However the same plug on the ke30 is getting continuity with earth with the Microtech unplugged.
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

step 1. IGN switch provides +12v power to STRT terminal of ignition switch.

step 2. ???

step 3. +12v power provided to spade terminal of starter motor.

step 4. car starts..

i'm confused as to why you want to earth things (except that the MT will operate relays by earthing them) does the MT have a STRT signal in? and then it earths the starter relay?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

No the microtech doesnt have a STA signal like the toyota ECU.
    I dont want to earth things. I realise that the starter is already earth via being bolted to the engine.

I just think its weird that the plugs are being connected to earth when not being used.

Im just tryn to keep the relay inside the cabin therefore i need to find the wire on the ecu side of the loom which controls the starter trigger. I guess this is what used to be connected to the STA on the original ecu.

However im not 100% sure this isnt connected to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    I just think its weird that the plugs are being connected to earth when not being used.
    which plug? the one that connects to the solenoid?
    it shouldn't be connected to earth methinks.

at best, it runs to a relay that is normally open. at worst (ke10) it runs directly to the starter switch...

why is it connected to earth? does it get +12v when you turn the key to start?

make it simple. run a new wire from the key, to a relay, to the solenoid less hassle, more reliability

Yep the one that connects to the solenoid. Can find any pics of it atm.
    It does get 12v when i turn the key and when not turned it has continuity with earth.

This is why im having problems narrowing down the soleniod trigger wire at the ECU end because its earthed when not being cranked. So if i try to find continuity from the spade connector the any wire on the loom, if that wire is also earth it will seem the same wire.

I think i might have missd something on your last post. I think i will run a new wire to all as you say that will make ma a happy chappy cause the new relay and the starter is going on the passenger side and ill just pop one through a grommit.

Anymore ideas before i go this path.
    I hope im not confusing.
    Last edited by Cuzzo; 28-08-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Hi,
    The spade on the starter *DOES NOT* earth when not in use.
    The spade connects to one end of the starter solenoid with the other end of the solenoid going to ground*.
    What are you using to measure continuity? Most continuity testers beep when they see less than 30 ohms. The starter solenoid is something like 4 ohms, so you're getting continuity, but it is wrong to deduce that this terminal *IS* earth.

All this terminal needs, is 12V when cranking - in essence it makes no difference how you supply it (a relay is better than supplying directly form ignition switch but latter works).

IIRC the AE92 starter signal runs along the thick starter supply cable and connects to the remainder of the engine loom near the battery terminal. This signal comes from the 6 pin plug that carries other power feeds to and from the cabin (it has wires such as B-Y, B-R, B-O and B-W for the starter) - the injector/coil and starter solenoid power feeds coming through this plug come directly from the ignition switch with no factory relay. The EFI relay supplies other portions of the loom and the ECU.
    At no point does the ECU supply the starter signal - the ECU merely samples the signal to know when the engine is being cranked, but it has no part in creating this signal.

* - one some, if not all, starters, there are two solenoids. One solenoid is high current designed to pull everything out, with the second being only a hold solenoid.
    The first solenoid is supplied 12V from the starter spade terminal, and is earthed on the positive of the electric motor in the starter - this way when the starter is inactive, the windings of the motor are effectively grounding the solenoid. As soon as the starter is activated, the positive end of the motor becomes 12V and "turns off" the first solenoid, at which point the second solenoid is maintaining the active state until power is removed.

HTH.
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Thanx for the Info MOS.

I was using a digital multimeter. It cost me around 250 so i thought it would have been telling me the right info but i guess not. I was thinking that there is no way this could have been earth.

I was testing the spade connector which goes towards the ecu side of the loom with the other end of the spade disconnected.

Looks like i'll run a new wire to the trigger from a relay off the key as old corollas said. Just wanted to see if i could do it a little bit neater and easier.

Thanx guys for the help.