Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seperate section for "dedicated" threads?

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: Seperate section for "dedicated" threads?

Quote Originally Posted by HAVABEER
    especially when we have like 280 pages in the 162 thread.
    and half a page of tech based info
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by whatthe?
    and half a page of tech based info
    I was going to comment something similar, but I'm not "au fait" with the internal ramblings of that thread.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

I was going to comment something similar, but I'm not "au fait" with the internal ramblings of that thread.

seeyuzz
    river
    I'm glad you were thinking along my lines, I'd hate to have made a "Faux Paus" there
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Hi,

Au contraire, my civilised friend

seeyuzz
    river

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

To be honest I don't actually know what goes on in these dedicated threads, I figured they were just a place for idle chit-chat by owners of whatever car/generation of car specified, with the majority of the banter about that car/generation of car. So it's kinda like a chat room.
    Any tech talk should obviously be in the tech section, no matter what car is specified. The "dedicated" subsection would purely be for these threads that constantly hover at the top of the general section, so maybe a requirement to having a thread in the new subsection would be a certain no of posts first.
    The aim is to get these megathreads out of the way, so only threads that have become mega & cluttersome would/should be moved there, and no threads should be started in that subsection.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Personally I don't like the "dedicated" threads at all.

One of the big things we want to achieve with the forum is to encourage a Community of Toyota Enthusaist's, while the dedicated threads create smal community's for each model they are also segregating themselves from the greater user base.

Ideally I'd much rather see people starting new threads for new topics, especially since there is a hell of a lot of content in those dedicated threads that is in no way specific to a single model of car. Classic example of this is the speedo drive in the MR2, someone asked about this in the AW11 thread and I answerred with a post on how to rebuild an E series gearbox speedo sender. Now while this was spoecifically what was needed, it is also completely relevant to any other car with that gearbox, ie GT4 Levin's etc.

The problem is that when we have these dedicated threads there people are going to continue flooding them. If you're a newby and you have a question about an AW11 are you likely to start a well structured new thread asking for assistance or just dump it into a thread that has 3000+ posts from people interested in that model?

I guess what I'm saying is that I think having the threads at all is the problem, not where they are being kept.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

I pretty much agree with that, but I'm sure plenty people would chuck a wobbly if motions were made to get rid of them, that's why I took the gentler approach of suggesting we just move them.

Either way, something needs to be done.....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

where's Ed when you need him.... Lock/Delete/Ban heh heh

seriously tho, the dedicated threads are mostly chitchat... pick any page of them and it is fairly plain to see.. however, there are many tidbits of info that are useful...

also.. there is a KE thread, and AE thread, and a KE/AE thread... ??????

however, i would be amused to see a condensed tech version of the two most prolific threads
    5000 replies..... as usual, it is the content, not the number of replies, that is important...
    heck some people almost only post in those threads....

perhaps it is not ideal to move threads to subsection... but it would be good if those ppl involved in those deidicated threads could summarise the useful information into a couple of posts....(and then maybe lock them )
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    I pretty much agree with that, but I'm sure plenty people would chuck a wobbly if motions were made to get rid of them, .
    bah, they chuck wobblies if they say in the thread " hey i'll give you rep if you give it to me" and then you mention that it is a rep thread bah, hairdressers
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

alot of ours is chit chat but its not idle chit chat about random nothings.

alot of it is normally updates on what where doing with our cars.....and the main jist of it is helping each other with problem solving. or idea's on improvements etc.

its just a freindly place to go talk. i've met up with people from that thread who i probably never would have met anywhere else.
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

Quote Originally Posted by HAVABEER
    alot of ours is chit chat but its not idle chit chat about random nothings.
    alot of it is normally updates on what where doing with our cars.....and the main jist of it is helping each other with problem solving. or idea's on improvements etc.
    its just a freindly place to go talk. i've met up with people from that thread who i probably never would have met anywhere else.
    fairy nuff... but you are saying it's a chatroom then?

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Personally I don't like them either. I tried to follow along but if you miss a few days then you need to read through 5 pages of dribble to make sure any tid bits haven't filtered through.

If it goes into a separte sub section then your ultimatly going to go back to the "interstate sections" of the old forums.

I think there is a place for the dedicated threads as they do tend to turn out some useful information every 100th page or so. I'd like to see the users of those sections extrude the tech information in to the tech section where it belongs and then continue on their merry way. (hey... free rep for whoever does that)

I'd also like to see all information relevant to the cars placed in one area, and then be able to search that at as I need it. and be able to have a larger number of people give opinions the general chit chat should really be sent to a general area for car talk. garbage should be in another area for a while before it gets deleted...............................
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonsida (aka Lambolica)
    I'd also like to see all information relevant to the cars placed in one area...... blah blah blahdy blah...............................
    I'd like to see those minutes for the meetings put up that you pomised all those months ago!

There's a billion people around the globe who are hanging out to read the on-goings of the club. With your dry humour and glib tongue I'm sure you can enthrall the throngs who patiently wait for your wonderous words.

seeyuzz
    river

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

The one real benefit i can see from the dedicated threads is that a newbie can come along and say 'hey im new, i have just bought this car and i need to know XYZ about it' and then there is going to be 20-30 people that own the same car constantly subscribed to the thread to help out.

thats true.. however, it might be useful if the most constant talkers in each thread get MSN or some such, and actually chat to each other.....
    i know there's that excitement and anticipation to see if you have a reply to your post when you get home from school, but really, that sort of thing could move to inane MSN chatting