Thread: 20V dizzy to crank and cam angle conversion?

Junior Member Grease Monkey KE25 RACER's Avatar

Default 20V dizzy to crank and cam angle conversion?

Who can i see in nsw to convert my toyota 4age 20v from distributor to crank and cam angle sensors?
    I am having trouble fitting the 20v to my ke25 in even if i use the dizzy for a pick up for the coil packs, id prefer not to mod the firewall at all, so crank and cam angle sensors seem like my best alternative.

Any help would be very much appreciated
    If it aint FAST it aint FUN

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Re: 20V dizzy to crank and cam angle conversion?

I really don't know a lot about this, but try some of the companies that make electronic ignition setups for V8's and stuff. They often have off-the-shelf kits for complete crankangle sensor setups...

RM.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by KE25 RACER
    Who can i see in nsw to convert my toyota 4age 20v from distributor to crank and cam angle sensors?
    I am having trouble fitting the 20v to my ke25 in even if i use the dizzy for a pick up for the coil packs, id prefer not to mod the firewall at all, so crank and cam angle sensors seem like my best alternative.

Any help would be very much appreciated
    some of the 7A imports acutally run a trigger on the front bottom timing gear. May this setup will suit, just need the oil pump assembly trigger and modify you gear (notches around the outside)

Robots! dancing robots! Domestic Engineer gearb0x's Avatar

What computer are you running?

The simplest and most reliable setup is a crank trigger wheel with a Hall effect gear position sensor It gives strong digital signals with no interference. I only know of the haltec off the top of my head that supports a "36-1 toothed wheel" setup (but im sure there are plenty more, including the Megasquirt which ill be using with this setup on my own 20v). Which is basically a 36 tooth wheel with 1 tooth missing, the ECU uses the missing tooth as a home signal. Generally mounted on the front of the crank pulley (or just behind it). These can be raided from EF+ falcons as well, the one pictured bellow is from an EF falcon

Stolen from msefi forums

If you look closely on formula atlantic engines you will find a wheel very similar to this mounted on the front of the crank The guy from Technotoytuning has said on club4ag that he is making billit alloy crank wheels for 4a's with the toothed wheels machined into them if you have a disposible income... they arent on the market yet though.

Ultimately it depends on your ECU choice, some ECUs require ~3 magnets set into or glued onto the crank pulley. Generally these setups dont need any sensors on the cams so you can throw that dizzy into the bin. I suggest you check your ECU manual and see what it supports.

Phill
    Last edited by gearb0x; 28-08-2006 at 11:54 PM.