Thread: 1ggte Engine Problem

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1ggte Engine Problem

I have rencently put a 1ggte engine into a 1984 hilux 4x4.

The engine runs smoothly, idles fine and has a sweet note all the way through to 8,000rpm

Problem I am having is that the engine when actually driving is not pulling, there is no power. I can push the accelerator to the floor and the engine will peak out at 4,700rpm or so. The turbos spool up but there is no 'go' so to speak. I checked the throttle body and the accelerator cable incase it was something silly like that but everything is in order. The engine has new seals throughout and is generally in good condition.

I Have replaced the fuel pump and checked the fuel pressure and it all seems to be within the recommendations, but perhaps the values I have are incorrect?

I don't know too much about these engines, learning as I go, so any information would be much appreciated.

What would be causing this lack of power?

User Conversion King

Default Re: 1ggte Engine Problem

hi,

i got a 1ggte in an RA40

are you running a boost gauge? is there anyway you can check its boosting? its possible that one turbo is shagged and only the other is spooling, but not enough to get the turbo coming on boost effect.

also, what do you mean by this;

I can push the accelerator to the floor and the engine will peak out at 4,700rpm or so.
    hello

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Its boosting according to the boost gauge.

Its basically only reving to 5,000rpm and nothing over. So you take off in 1st gear, the engine starts to wind up, the turbos spool up and then it just revs out at 5,000rpm, nothing more, change to second etc and the same thing happens.

Then you put it back into neutral and press the accelerator and it revs smoothly to 8,000rpm.

User Conversion King

another thing....

have you tried pulling the diagnostics codes from it?

if your are unsure of how to do it; open the diagnostics box, get a paper clip and bridge it between TE1 and E1. then get a small bulb (ie. dash light) and put one end into W and the other end on a postive 12V power supply. you might already have a warning light in the cab anyway.

turn the ignition on, no need to start it though, and wait a couple secs for it to flash.

they'll be a couple secs of nothing , then it will flash X times (first digit of code), then there will be another short time of nothing (will be less time than first break), then it will flash X times again (second digit of code). then it will either repeat itself or flash u another code.

if everything is fine, it will flash constantly
    hello

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Sounds like your timing may be HEAPS out, because severely retarded timing wont let the engine gain revs under load. Have you checked timing yet?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Grease Monkey EvilJack's Avatar

yep check your cam timing, i had a similair issue in my ra28 with 1ggte and turned out to be a timing issue

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Sounds like ignition timming, i had a issue where i had advanced timing a little far and basically engine was not right. with the pins t and t1 in the diagnostics pin bridged with a paper clip you should have static timing set to 10deg BTDC

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

I had a similar problem (combined with two nuts missing from one header to turbo flange...) which would cause this to happen. The dizzy acts a bit dicky in diag mode and wouldn't let me set the timing correctly.

Stupid mechanical timing