Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Default Re: 5MGE into MA61 (changed from 7MGE)

Quote Originally Posted by RObErT_RaTh
    Exactly why I want to upgrade. I want to be able to go the track days and things and not risk an accident because of crusty brakes.
    budget for some new wheels, you want to fit some bigger stompers under them

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

I like the look of the stock rims and if I will get a noticeable difference from ebc pads and slotted rotors then I don't see why I would change them. I think the current calipers are going to be enough for the 5ME at the moment.

JZA80 Convert Backyard Mechanic

haha, yeah, ok, my point still stands though..newer engine = less kays

Quote Originally Posted by ma61turbo
    haha, yeah, ok, my point still stands though..newer engine = less kays
    Duly noted

I like the look of the stock rims and if I will get a noticeable difference from ebc pads and slotted rotors then I don't see why I would change them. I think the current calipers are going to be enough for the 5ME at the moment.
    Stock rims are cool...but if I have to replace em with bigger ones to make sure my car stops well then I'll do it.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how that setup goes....I suspect I'll have the same results as last time.

EDIT: Actually, you better make sure you are coming along too, I'll show you first hand why the brakes in the ma61 just don't cut it.

Stock rims are cool...but if I have to replace em with bigger ones to make sure my car stops well then I'll do it.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks how that setup goes....I suspect I'll have the same results as last time.

EDIT: Actually, you better make sure you are coming along too, I'll show you first hand why the brakes in the ma61 just don't cut it.
    If you're talking about the cruise with cilleh then sure I'll come along now Just make sure I'm not in your car if the brakes are like what you say

But seriously, you've got a 7MGTE, I've got a 5ME and that GTE would still go a lot harder than a stock 2J so new rotors and pads would be right for me wouldn't it?

Yeah, I've got a 7m-gte, but the 2J will go almost as fast, just take a bit longer to get there. If you want to do any trackwork *at all* you need bigger brakes. Specially at Mallala, it chews up and spits out brakes for breakfast.

What it comes down to is that there just isn't enough material to absorb the heat produced from stopping a 1250-1300kg car multiple times in a row.

What it comes down to is that there just isn't enough material to absorb the heat produced from stopping a 1250-1300kg car multiple times in a row.
    Cold air pvc pipe intakes for brakes?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Well, I guess I'll weigh in with my opinion now, even though it's going to be slightly biased as I am the vendor of said 5MGE.

My 5MGE, and I'll be honest here that I only drove it for a week or so before I gave it the flick, ran very weel, had no major leaks & had a relatively clean cooling system, and I would have much greater faith in its condition over a 300,000+km 7M.

As for the conversion issue, a 7MGE swap may be not that much harder (discounting the condition of the 7M) with the right research, but it will take a decent amount of research & learning to get it all wired up, whereas the 5M is of the same age/generation and is going to have a much easier loom to adapt & get running. As said it should be a fairly unrushed weekend or two to complete, compared to 2 or 3 flatout weekends with plenty of hours during the week after work either under the car, over the engine bay or in front of the PC, trouble shooting & diagnosing problems. Then there's the fact that most 300,000+km 7Ms will most likely require the head to be shaved on top of a new HG & head bolts/studs, which means you may as well get the stem seals replaced & get valve clearances checked etc etc etc

By the sounds of it you'd like to have a go at an engine conversion to gain experience & increase your mechanical abilities, big power is not your main goal, and you have a limited timeframe & budget. The 5MGE conversion would be easy, result in less stress, & would still provide that rewarding engine conversion experience once complete. And if you're anything like me, once you've got one engine conversion under your belt your hunger for more will only build! It honestly feels wierd when all the cars at my place are running....

Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm
    By the sounds of it you'd like to have a go at an engine conversion to gain experience & increase your mechanical abilities, big power is not your main goal, and you have a limited timeframe & budget.
    Finally, someone that understands! But now after what everyone has said I'm not sure if I will go ahead with it anymore

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Heh, i reckon a few of us could probably do the entire conversion in a weekend....

Provided enough motivation.
    Btw, if either you or ma61turbo decide to part with your rims im after some more MA61 stockers for Ahrensys car.

And yes, once you have done one engine conversion you just hanker for more. Ive done three of my own now, and two of other peoples, and assisted on numerous. Its really not that hard these days and i want to do more and more.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    And yes, once you have done one engine conversion you just hanker for more. Ive done three of my own now, and two of other peoples, and assisted on numerous. Its really not that hard these days and i want to do more and more.
    It's fun Better when it's someone else's as it's not yours that's breaking (if anything goes wrong).

Rob, MA61 stocky brakes don't really cut it on spirited driving. Coming down hillies on the GOR run, I had a brown pants moment when my foot almost hit the floor whilst pressing the brake pedal. Looking at rotors after, burnt pads smell and rotors were uber blue colour from the heat.
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

I would not feel comfortable doing a 2J conversion so yes it would cost me a crapload in labour
    My god... Did you not listen to a word I said ??

Read this, and learn it
    Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    It doesn't matter whether it will be a 5MGE, 7MGE or 2JZGE conversion, EVERYTHING will be the same (in terms of conversion)

The only things that differ, is that you will need to buy bellhousing/flywheel/clutch for the 2JZ.
    All motors will require exhaust mods
    All motors will require some fiddling with heater hoses/radiator hoses.
    All motors will bolt straight up.
    All motors will require the same amount of wiring (unless you get a gen1 5MGE which uses the 5ME loom)
    PowerSteering lines will bolt on to the M blocks, but with RA65 stuff it will bolt on to the JZ blocks as well, so that no more difficult.
    ALL conversions are identical.
    In all conversions you need to completely remove the engine/gbox.
    In all conversions you need to bolt flywheel/clutch/gbox back up to new motor.
    In all conversions you need to bolt the motor/gbox straight up to a set of mounts.
    In all conversions you need to sort out radiator and heater hoses - this is not hard
    In all conversions you need to sort out wiring. 5MGE stuff WILL NOT be easier than 2JZGE. Wiring is wiring when it comes to these simple motors
    In all conversions you need to work out a different intake pipe setup
    In all conversions you need to get some slight exhaust mods
    The only difference I can think of is the power steering lines, but get RA65 stuff and the JZ powersteering setup becomes plug and play

So you see, its all the same.
    The ONLY difference is the initial outlay cost.
    The 2JZGE will own the M blocks for reliability, economy, and power.

If you want to do a basic conversion to get some skills up, I suggest getting a cheap KE30 corolla, and get a 4K-C motor, and swap that in.
    Or something to that effect.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

I'm with stupid ^^^. He's spot on with that call. With suitable mounts and sump configs, all of them are bolt in, and all of that stuff is available. The JZ stuff is easy to find, but comes at a higher initial cost, same goes with the engine.

The 5ME wiring is about as primitive as Toyota stuff got, any non-early 5MGE is going to require the same amount of wiring difficulty wise as a 7MGE or 2JZGE so that's a moot point.

I've driven a MA61 with a freshly rebuilt 5MGE and one with a 2JZGE. There is no comparison. That and the motor is newer, and shits on the M for economy.

Just to re-iterate. They ARE all about the same difficulty, the JZ stuff is just going to cost more. Me personally? I'd be getting some decent suspension and saving for a 2JZ conversion.

As for brakes, new rotors and pads are good, but the MA61 brakes aren't that big at all, nor that thick. The MA61 rims aren't very conducive to ventilation also.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

With all this torque of fuel eocnomy what are the actual figures for the guys with 2jz's in MA61's.

With the stock ecu I got 10L per 100kms on the dot, and now with the Microtech I get 13L per 100kms on a rich tune, mainly city driving and because I only drive it once a week it generally gets opened up cos it feels so good.
    If in doubt power out