Thread: suggestions on gasket goo

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

Default suggestions on gasket goo

G'day guys im about to re assemble my engine now normaly im just use whatever gasket goo we have on the shelf (wurth stuff) but im doing this one out of the workshop
    I was wondering whats the stuff to use? the ACL spray stuff looks pretty sweet but what about sealing timing covers and stuff that you would normaly us more gooey stuff?
    Cheers

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Default Re: suggestions on gasket goo

ahh i love silastics and hylomar. my engine (and many others i have put together) is held together with it.
    for any paper gasket (or if i am reuseing a genuine metal one) i use the acl hylomar spray (and on my headgaskets), it's brilliant stuff.
    rubber gaskets i dont normaly put anything on them, but sometimes a small smear of ultra grey or the black one. anything to do with water i use the ultra blue and exhaust the ultra copper. i like to colour code kinda.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

i plan on using the hylomar on all the main gaskets, eg head,exaust,intake, as for water pump and front cover and sump and oil pump and a few others i want to use a more substantial(thicker) product, the blue stuff might be worth looking at for that also for the rocker cover i will use a thin layer of somthing mostly to hold it inplace

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

hylomar for headgaskets and manifold gaskets.

Theres an aircraft glue which is brown in colour and smells really bad..available at repco i think made by loctite...very good for paper type gaskets on water pumps etc.

problem with the aviation cement (the bown smelly stuff) is as far as i know is'nt sensor safe. so not really any good on our ecu ran engines.

merc-blue, if the oil pump and water pump gaskets are paper, the hylomar will be fine for this, no need for any silastic.

the ultra grey has much better oil resistence than the ultra blue, so if your going to smear some on your cam cover gaskets i recomend useing the ultra grey.

Forum Member

Loctite 518.....Totally brilliant seals anything and doesnt go off until parts are assembled. I have used this stuff instead of cork sump gaskets on older cars and they are still dry years later. 3 Bond is also really good stuff. It is used by Nissan and Honda to seal their engines. Just make sure both surfaces are spotlessly clean and de-greased and give both sealants a few hours to go off.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

For oil line connections, rubber o rings and paper gaskets I'm a fan of 515 / 518 the fact that it is anerobic (goes hard in the absence of air) is really handy, never had to worry about it going off!

For the sumps I use whatever, and coppermaxx on all the exaust/turbo bits

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

I like the original Toyota seal packing? packing seal? something like that. Good for sump.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

cant go wrong with the loctite high temp silicon, the red stuff. its pretty good, got that on my sump, water & oil pumps, and inlet manifold. doesnt leak and its good up to about 400 degrees or somthing like that, dont use the blue stuff, not as good. But if ya can get paper gaskets and use aviation gasket sealer (also by loctite) use that, far easier and u dont get shit everywhere
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

back into it Chief Engine Builder

When ever you put something together properly you will use 4 or 5 diffrent types of sealant ect, Red and Blue poo, loctite No3, loctite liquid thread seal etc etc.
    The loctite website should have a list of sealants for diffrent jobs.Some sensors dont like some of the sealants and cause problems, Go with what is recommended if you dont know from experiance.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2
    problem with the aviation cement (the bown smelly stuff) is as far as i know is'nt sensor safe. so not really any good on our ecu ran engines.

merc-blue, if the oil pump and water pump gaskets are paper, the hylomar will be fine for this, no need for any silastic.

the ultra grey has much better oil resistence than the ultra blue, so if your going to smear some on your cam cover gaskets i recomend useing the ultra grey.

i use it on my 7mge intake manifold and lots of places with no issues?

At Work I'm A Grease Monkey Hibba's Avatar

3bond! 3bond!

you can use 3bond on bloody everything

MX83 Grande
    DirtyWan Skyline GX

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    i use it on my 7mge intake manifold and lots of places with no issues?
    as far as i know the aviation cement isnt sensor safe, but like many things i could be wrong.
    you might not notice it straight away if it isnt sensor safe, but over time may stuff any sensor that may somehow come in contact with it's residue or something. i know the loctite silastics mention that they are sensor safe on the packet, think the hylomar spray says it somewhere too.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

I try and stay well clear of silastic wherever i can.!!! I hate the stuff and it get can get you into trouble if your not careful - ie fill over a small oil way or something along those lines. The only thing i use it on is the sump.
    + it can be very messy if you are building a show car or just fussy about apperance. - There is nothing worse than seeing a nice clean engine only to see excess silicon hanging out from the manifold or wherever it has been used !

In saying that though there is just some things that silicon must be used for and i recon 3 bond is the go. It has stood the test of time on my engines and has not become oil soaked or heat affected.

On all my other gastket i use permatex gasket goo.

There is a million different product on the market and most of them are good in their own right ,