Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concentrated vs PreMixed Radiator Fluid

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice MarioM's Avatar

Default Concentrated vs PreMixed Radiator Fluid

Hey all,
    in the final stages of reassembling my ta22, and i have to full up on radiator fluid on my rebuilt motor. usually i use premixed radiator fluid on my car that has radiator fluid in it, however when i went into repco i was told that concentrated fluid that you can mix down yourself is the go. i don't know if i should believe a retailer, so i raise the following questions... should i use the concentrated or premixed radiator fluid in this case? what are the benefit of using one over the other? any recommendations on radiator fluids?
    thanks in advance
    Mario
    Engineered and on the road - Just in need of a tune...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Concentrated vs PreMixed Radiator Fluid

The premixed stuff costs you a hell of alot more just for water added to the stuff. I work at Super Cheap and i know that it costs about $35\40 for 5L of pure coolant (green stuff, not red). So to make 15L of coolant (as an example) when you mix it yourself it'll $35/40 but if you buy that 15L premixed itll cost you about $110+.

To put it simple, buy pure stuff, premixed is a rip off and they dont give you as much coolant in premixed either. Nulon coolant is good gear.

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

I agree with TopSecret, concentrate is the go. Personally I ony use genuine toyota red in both of my toyota's. Cost is around the same as most aftermarket types so I would rather use what the manufacture suggests. If you go for the red make sure all the green is flushed out and vise vesa. They don't mix and can cause corrosion. So once you have made a choice stick with it.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Junior Member Grease Monkey Bored?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rinmax
    If you go for the red make sure all the green is flushed out and vise vesa. They don't mix and can cause corrosion.
    Can you back that up or are you perpetuating a myth?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

That is most cetainly not a myth. Check out this website for more information.

http://www.are.com.au

EDIT: hmmm, it seems their tech info on coolant & blocked up radiators is not working..... Sorry about that. Oh well, there's still plenty of good info on that site regarding radiators & intercoolers.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Bored?'s Avatar

Lots of information here:
    http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...?articleid=841

They suggest that while mixing coolants isn't great, it's not likely to cause major problems.

Does the toyota coolant come with a big "do not mix" warning?

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Yep, go the Concentrate Mario. When you mix it, buy demineralised water to mix with, the minerals commonly found in "tap" water are a prime cause of corrosion. You'll pick 10L of demineralised water up for around $7 if you shop around. It's actually something i always keep in my workshop (I buy 50-60L at a time).

back into it Chief Engine Builder

I just use the holden coolant, cheap and made for alloy engines it does the job fine.

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored?
    Can you back that up or are you perpetuating a myth?
    I'm afraid it is very much true, if you like I'll see if I can find my $1100 receipt for a JZZ30 radiator for you.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

There are two major types of coolant, and if you mix them they can react and form nasty things which corrode the radiator and other parts of the cooling system. I can't recall the specifics but as mentioned there's lots of info out there on the subject.

Also I agree, Toyota Red FTW. I won't use anything less in my cars, and if it comes from Toyota you know it's quality.

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

Toyota Red coolant FTW definitely
    Part number is 08889-80086 (not that you will need it)
    4 Litres has a retail list price of $34.75 +GST

Last time I bought two packs and paid $29.20 each for them from my local dealer.
    I then went to supercheap and bought two of their large (4 or 5 L) Distilled water for $3.00 each.

** Make sure you check for stray current when you finish filling the radiator or in 6mths time, you may be up for a new Radiator.. **

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Go with the Toyota Red. It's a good coolant and you only have to change it every 40k. I used to work with a mechanic that would only use Toyota coolant in his cars cause he thought it was so good and he didn't even drive Toyotas!

Touching Automotive Encyclopaedia Aust162's Avatar

there are two types of coolant. a type A and type B coolant. Generally for car's pre 1985 you can run a type b coolant (this is pretty much a straight corrosion inhibitor. Type A is an anti freeze anti boil rust inhibitor.

There is a big price difference between the two. Type A coolant is much more.Also usually the premixes are mixed a 2:1 ratio, you might want it more concentrated (say 1:1) depending on the car.

I use nulon red (type A) at 1:1 ratio in my 3sgte.
    *hearts* his 4age powered KE70 Panelvan!
    Hi, Im enthused about corollas..

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

I am using Toyota coolant for my car at the moment (Red colour). I bought it from Toyota dealer at parts & service section. Not sure where else can get it but deffinately at Toyota. When I first bought the car a friend of mine ask me to only use Toyota coolant and it have been with me for 2 years now with no problem (I did flush the radiator once at service time).
    To choose between concentrated or pre-mixed? I'll go for concentrated, for a basic reason since I don't know much machanic stuff as others, because it is cheaper and premixed is a ripoff considering you can spend 1 minute to add water in by yourself. My friends at uni (mostly girls will buy a premixed though, and usually ask bf or a guy to change it for them)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic lojik's Avatar

Perhaps slightly off topic
    But what about Redline water wetter. Either with just water or mixed with another coolant as it supposedly can be used...