Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AE86 Gearbox Conversion Options

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Default Re: AE86 Gearbox Conversion Options

Quote Originally Posted by craigy
    There are always hidden costs and compromises when you are trying to fit something where its not suppose to go.
    W58, clutch fork and slave - $400-$500 (this can vary wildly though)
    Bellhousing - $400 approx
    Clutch plate to suit input shaft - $200-$300
    Tailshaft mods - $150 approx

So we're talking around $1,100 or so. How much will it cost to rebuild that T50 over the next however many years if the car is driven how it's supposed to be?

As for the "compromises" etc - there doesn't have to be if you are willing to take your time and do it right, paying attention to how things should work and where minor modification needs to be done to 'off-the-shelf' components.

We are modifyers after all, aren't we?

Junior Member Grease Monkey craigy's Avatar

totally agree, that a w5 box is a fantastic conversion for the right application.

2 of the main considerations that I think of when looking at upgrading/mofiying an aspect of my car are time and money.

And its so easy to say "just put in a W58" just buy this... and just do that... its easy it'll only cost $1500

But when you have to consider the other costs involved in modifying a car and the ability to perform work yourself with limited resources,
    It really makes you think. Well maybe I should should try and make what I have work

My T50 is on the way out and I'm lucky enough to have another sitting out the back of my shed, so as a learning experience and a cost saving device, I'm going to rebuild it myself and use top notch oils, and try and limit clutch kicking and 7000rpm launches.

Just my opinion, and my personal choice.
    I'm probably going to eat my words when I munch my gearbox and left stranded at some distant racetrack somewhere, and having to fork out $500 for a tow!
    4AGZE powered AE86
    SR5 dual cab Hilux
    265 powered VJ Valiant Charger

Quote Originally Posted by craigy
    But when you have to consider the other costs involved in modifying a car and the ability to perform work yourself with limited resources,
    It really makes you think. Well maybe I should should try and make what I have work
    And it's at this same point where I would ask myself "perhaps I'm better off biting the bullet, forking out a little bit more (which may or may not end up being less in the long run) and doing it once - and right." (comparing the cost of a standard rebuild to a W58 conversion)

I'm probably going to eat my words when I munch my gearbox and left stranded at some distant racetrack somewhere, and having to fork out $500 for a tow!
    I'm glad you brought up the whole compromise thing earlier, because what you are saying here is a perfect example of exactly that.

At the end of the day, getting a T50 built PROPERLY to handle the application or to simply suit Garth's wants will cost up to 5 times what a PROPER W58 conversion will. Just ask Hing (exqusit) how much his PAR T50 straight cut box cost him - most of you will fall off your chairs!

Junior Member Grease Monkey craigy's Avatar

dont get me wrong ae86slut, i'm not saying your wrong and i'm not saying i'm right. And we could go backward and forward talking about which is better.

I think I know garths car and If it is the one i'm thinking of, it doesnt look like he compromises at all when it comes to any aspect of his car. And the w58 box is probably the correct option for him.
    I'm not exactly what you would call a perfectionist (you may have seen the light blue piece of crap at the hachi meet)
    I'm into cars, driving hard but I also enjoy sleeping and not spending hours on the phone and chasing up bits and pieces and running around like an idiot with my one day off during the week which i get a month when I could be kicking it at the river with my friends or spending the day driving with my mates.

Maybe I used the wrong word when I said compromise, its about balance and getting your priorites straight.
    4AGZE powered AE86
    SR5 dual cab Hilux
    265 powered VJ Valiant Charger

Indeed. Balance and priority are the main thing, that's why I reckon the W58 conversion is definately the go in this instance.
    No need to explain yourself man - it's these sorts of exchanges that usually result in the most information and help to get more complete viewpoints and opinions out there to help with the original query!

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

The only real way out of this compromise is to put straight cut gears into your W58 conversion project..............no I am not being serious

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Seriously though, a T50 with regular oil changes and realistic driving (i.e. skilled) will do fine in the long run. Especially with the power output which Garth is looking at.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

have you guys also thought about a altezza 1gfe 6speed as well doesnt that bolt up to a 4ag as well

AE86 Tuning Life Backyard Mechanic Garth AE86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Seriously though, a T50 with regular oil changes and realistic driving (i.e. skilled) will do fine in the long run. Especially with the power output which Garth is looking at.
    you think so? im not one to abuse my car by "smashing seconds" or flatchanging but it will cop the occasional drift day (clutch kicks) and at the circuit 8000rpm quick changes (as you should)

im a bit reluctant to go the W58 route simply due to the cost of the project and secondly due to the fact it isnt original. yes yes i know its silly but im a purist at heart
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict
    AE86 - Levin & Trueno - The Legends Live On!
    'AE86' - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GTV

"It's not a street car if you can't drive it on the street. The car has to be safe and fast on any road condition" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

Your only real option left then is to do as Takai says dude. If the cost of a W58 conversion is prohibitive, so is anything else really.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Just price a few sequential gear box options. Then everything else will sound pretty damn good value................

yeah ve been contemplating it over the past few weeks
    just refresh the t50 and make sure the gearset is still OK
    if not ill go the trd 123 set and refresh the whole deal
    its not like its taking much torque anyhow
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict

"It's not a street car if you can't drive it on the street. The car has to be safe and fast on any road condition" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

been doing some research on google

33030-12470 is the 83-87 T50 'non '85-'87 GTS' SR5 AE86 code (USA)

33030-12441 is the 85-87 'GTS' T50 code (USA) apparently for kouki GTS only

apparently you can still get them new from toyota usa! (yeah right)
    retail is $1500 over dollars but thats a brand new T50

calculating the cost of a rebuild youd be better off with a brand new one from toyota rather than rebuilding an old one that way you get a new gearset too!

microfiche - http://www.hachilife.com/garage/fiche/2g1.gif
    Last edited by Garth AE86; 04-01-2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added link
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey Garth,
    I have rebuilt my t50 gearbox with the company CATS in Alexandria. They are real reputatable like I mentioned to you before and do many Ferarris, Porsches and other race/ rally cars. I got my t50 totally rebuilt with trd close ratio gearsets for 1st 2nd and 3rd gear for around 1500. So give them a call 029662148. Also if you want to do something else with the gearbox for example go another route im sure they also can help you with it.
    Cheers

holy f**k $1500?

bearing seals synchros AND a trd gearset ASSEMBLED for $1500????

this them?
    Central Automatic Transmission Service
    15 -21 Mentmore Ave Rosebery 2018
    (02) 9662 1458
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict