Thread: CV joints problem with bigger engine (FWD)

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Default CV joints problem with bigger engine (FWD)

Hi,

I was having a BBQ with few of my friends on the weekend and we've chatted along together for few hours. One of the many topic that came into my mind and I think would be good to share with others is that one of my friend (who is a Honda boy) have encountered a problem on his EG civic. Sorry for mentioning Honda stuff in here by the way. He originally have a D16Y VTEC in his VTI civic. His project is to put in H22A type S from honda prelude in. As far as I know this project been going on for more than 3 years now. He have got all gears and everything ready already. As he comes to the final step on the research, he found out that to have a biiger engine in the car would kill his CV joints big time. Now its not talking about the street use, now is about track use.

I was told that to run the car around the race track 10 laps is similar to you drive your car for 10000k??? (can some one confirm that, really not sure). Anyway he have found out that having a 2.0 or 2.2 (not sure) instead of 1.6 will give him problems. Another friend of mine who was there that night then second this saying that he have seen some one encountered this problem before. He explains breifly since thats all I can understand. logically all body, metals and steels rod etc on the car was designed to match the length and width of the engine. Having a bigger size engine in would cause the distance for rods? (not sure which rods) to be shorter. This would cause the CV joints more problem. As for having stronger and more powerful engine would have already done bad to CV joints.

Basicly that is as far as I understand. I'll get him to explain in more specific but I think this is important and my car is FWD as well. Soory if it is re-post of any kind but for those who don't know this then might wanna start to look on these problems. And for those who know bout this can some one give clearer explanation?

ps. above info is based on what they have discussed. A Repco machanic who I talked to said it is reasonable. I am not sure about exact stuffs.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: CV joints problem with bigger engine (FWD)

that's why when u do a conversion like this, u go for a half cut and get everything over including the loom, ECU, dash components, suspension and driveline...

A few Indonesians have done this to Civics.. it is possible but it is also true that all hardware has to be swapped over.

well no.. 10 laps around a track does not equal to 10,000 kms, u won't consume that much petrol unless it's F1.. ? Proably wear out the engine that fast if you keep it at high revs and WOT, but if an engine is built properly it will go through race tracks like a bit of spirited driving
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

thanks for the long winded and incredibly vague post.

so what you were trying to say was

with pissy honda parts, you need to upgrade the CV's when you install bigger engine...

well... duh..... every part has a design limit. honda usually has less safety margin than other makers.

what was the point of your post again?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

haha his point is buy a toyota i used stock 162 driveshafts and was pumping out some serious power with the torque steer to go with it for almost 2 yrs... and a grandmas camry gearbox to boot
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

as with any car mod. you need to use parts that have enough strength and the correct size for any cahnge.

if you put in a new engine, you need to choose the correct size driveshafts that will work with the gearbox position and the hub position. if nothing is available, you get them made up. parts either fit, or fit badly, or not at all...

your mates sound like the really don't know much at all, and i would rarely trust anything told to me by a repco/supercheap/etc mechanic....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    as with any car mod. you need to use parts that have enough strength and the correct size for any cahnge.
    That is dead right and would have stopped the conversation at that BBQ lickety split

This thread needs a poll:

Should you upgrade your CV joints when increasing power on your Honda by more than 50%?

Yes?

No?

.....and another poll:

Should progkamol take mechanical advice from his mates:

No?

No?
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

no he shouldnt upgrade driveshafts if it is a toyota i tripled the power

toyota tough

but no i wouldnt listen to any of my mates who didnt already realise certain things need to be done... and then realises as hes bought everything, makes me wonder what else he forgot

and i think your other mate talking about rods is on teh cr4ck c0c41n3

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    thanks for the long winded and incredibly vague post.

so what you were trying to say was

with pissy honda parts, you need to upgrade the CV's when you install bigger engine...

well... duh..... every part has a design limit. honda usually has less safety margin than other makers.

what was the point of your post again?
    The point of this was "is it true that a bigger size engine will cause problem with CV joints, and will that happens in toyotas"
    I was told that there will be a problem if you change to a bigger engine. But that just all I know, not the cause what so ever.
    With the drive line come with the half cut I don't think it could fit in to the car so probably will have to make one up but would be costy.
    So what I am trying to ask was, if bigger engine is install then we re-conditioning CV or upgrade to better for the same sort that come with the car would solve the problem or the CV would need to be the same spec from the half cut?

serial biochemist Automotive Encyclopaedia

likely the drive shafts from the 1.6L engine will not fit inside the prelude engine correctly and conversely (which means also but opposite to) the prelude drive shafts won't match the civic hubs. My guess is there will need to be some customisation whereby (to the point where) a hybrid drive shaft is made for each side that incorporates (uses) the 1.6L engine entry side of the shaft coupled to (joined with) the hub side of the prelude drive shaft.

that's often what people have to do with GT4 engines into non-GT4 cars when they use the GT4 gearbox.
    your rep rating is not a reflection of your worth to the community

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    wtf? I want to do track racing, and f#@k you...
    that's very flattering but no thanks.

not all the time... some are interchangable..

custom driveshafts arent expensive 150 - 200 each.

if you transplant into a toyota chances are the driveshafts will be ok depending on what car, but upgrading really isnt that big of a deal.