Thread: 4agze rebuild options and interchangable parts

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Arrow 4agze rebuild options and interchangable parts

Hey guys, I know there is a TOI thread going, but I need some advice and opinions closer to my situation.

I need to do a rebuild on my ae101ze as all 4 big-end bearings are gone. Rather than rush the rebuild (and on good advice provided by you guys) I would prefer to do it right and do it myself at my own pace. My car has been off the road for 3 months now and I have decided to obtain a 2nd hand replacement 4agze to get back on the road asap and allow me to leisurely start the rebuild of my existing damaged engine.

Ideally I would purchase a running ae101 4agze block or engine minus manifolds etc and simply switch it over. As this may prove difficult due to availability, my question is: can i mate an aw11 or ae92 4agze short block with my exisiting ae101 head and ae101 wiring etc?

Your opinions and suggestions are highly regarded. Ive actually forgotten what its like to drive my car its been that long

Cheers
    Daniel

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze rebuild options and interchangable parts

please see my FAQ regarding 4agze's..... you can use any bottom end, but depending on if it's a bigport or smallport bottom end there are a few differences.

bigport has lower compression pistons
    bigport doesnt have the extra oil drain for the head (near cyl.4 intake)

it'll run, but it wont be ideal.
    For the effort and money you are just better off rebuilding your existing smallport 4agze.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

FWIW an ae92 levin GZE i bought years ago had a blown motor in it.
    it was replaced with the 8.0:1 comp early AW11 motor and ran fine on the later model computer.

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

cool. Cheers guys.

****yas Grease Monkey

arr before i came to europe i put a new ae101 gze (smallport squirter map) into my ke55 which had a ae92 gze (bigport non squirter afm) that was blowing smoke. i was using the afm computer & sensor, but it would not run.

havent come home yet so no happy ending there. most people say its doable though, so maybe i just fucked up somewhere. she'd crank over but wouldnt fire up.

sorry i cant help ya much more.