Thread: Mikuni-Solex carburettor identification 44 cf. 40 etc.

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Default Mikuni-Solex carburettor identification 44 cf. 40 etc.

For your collective information,
    a shameless transliteration of the following website for the interest of old Celica and Corolla users;

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/carbid.html

First, note that the designation for the Mikuni/Solex sidedraft carburettors shown below is PHH. Weber equivilent is DCOE, Dellorto equivilent is DHLA. All share the same flange patterns on both manifold and air filter side.

40PHH_TYPE-S_1.jpg is another style of PHH carburettor common in US market and referred to in the above link as Type R carb. Note different float cover shape compared with Type S carbs above. Available in 40mm only.

40-44PHH_TYPE-3.jpg is the common four bolt top cover carburettor (Type S in above link). Available in 40mm and 44mm sizings. Throttle vanes are stamped on the manifold side with "175" for 44s and "165" for 40s. Kits are the same for both 40 and 44 variations in this style, but are different from other styles.

40-44PHH_TYPE-4.jpg is the common five bolt top cover carburettor (Type S in above link). Available in 40mm and 44mm sizings. Throttle vanes are stamped on the manifold side with "175" for 44s and "165" for 40s. Kits are the same for both 40 and 44 variations in this style, but are different from other styles.

40-50PHH_TYPE-2.jpg is the early style mikuni carburettor, originally produced in 36mm, 40mm, 44mm and 50mm carbs. (Uninformed author note ~ I seem to remember that the early C110 Skylines running six cylinder L motors with triple 50mm Mikuni sidedrafts, is this fact or legend?) Also called PHH2.

40PHH_TYPE-S-5.jpg is a 40mm only PHH carb produced OEM for Toyota and commonly used on 18R-G motors in carbed form. (Author note: also possibly earlier twin-cam twin-carb R motors such as 10R?). IS NOT A 44MM CARB JUST BECAUSE IT IS FITTED TO AN 18R-G. :sigh:

All info drawn from the above quoted link, don't shoot me if it's not right. Hope this helps someone at all.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Default Re: Mikuni-Solex carburettor identification 44 cf. 40 etc.

There is another type, it looks similar to the type 4 but has allowance for float bowl adjustment on both sides of the bowl top. Only one side has been drilled through on our set.
    This type, and also the type 2 carburettor also have the 175 markings for 44mm butterflies.

The type 2 carbies are prone to damaged thread where the venturi locking screws go in as the threaded protruding section are shorter than all the other types. This really sucks!

The type 2 has a better seal between the tops of the jets and the float bowl, other models are prone to flooding over sustained bumpy roads, especially with steep inclines.
    The genuine gasket kits are a Solex/Pirelli combined production according to the labels.
    The throttle linkages of the type 2 carbies are not interchangable with other models as the locating section is cut on a very different angle (ie. not 8 degrees).
    The type 2 has PHH-2 cast into the top from memory.

It should also be noted that some models, type 2 and type (similar to 4) included were available with choke assemblies that operate in the opposite direction to what is required for 2TG/18RG engines, as they were designed to be used on engines such as the datsuns that had their intakes on the left hand side of the vehicle.
    The tops and rotors of the choke assemblies from types 1, 2, 3, 4, and the one similar to 4are interchangable to fix this issue.
    Some sets of type 3 PHH-40 carbies have idle jets that are too small to service an 18RG correctly, could be all sets, not sure. We bored a larger hole and now they are great.
    These came standard on our 88211 manifold.

The type 5 has electronic choke warmers and is reportedly the least preferred version.
    The top end gaskets are not similar to any other models and there is no removable sleeve in the outer section of the throat as is present in earlier models (88222 2TG era -type 4).
    All the sets I've seen have had their accelleration pumps adjested so poorly that they do not function, spacers were required to get them to squirt at all. Perhaps this is part of why they are so unpopular.

The tube positioning of the type 4 carbies around the throat indicates that they MAY (I take no responsibility for mess ups) be able to be bored out to suit 44mm butterflies.
    Note: 44mm butterflies take a different shaft and different screws too.

Another model that interchanges with the PHH, DCOE, SK racing, OER carbies is the Solex ADDHE. These were solex Europe's equivalent model, rather that Mukuni's version.
    Last edited by Steve M; 20-12-2005 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling and more information
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Steve M,

Nice to see another person that can appreciate the odd Mikuni/Solex sidedraught carby.

Keep in contact with me as I maybe able to help with parts and ideas on working and using these carbies. Been doing this for a couple of decades.

Wolfcreek is a good link, thanks SeptemberSquall, I have had several e-mail conversations with them about parts and have purchased from them also.

What is the Apprenticeship you guys are doing?

Regards

Rodger

Rodger, are you the same Rodger that tried to find a venturi for me earlier in the year?
    Rodger M?

If so, it's looking like the parts order will go ahead soon, yay!

Nice to see another person that can appreciate the odd Mikuni/Solex sidedraught carby.
    Maybe now isn't the time to say that I am going EFI on my 18RG rebuild, although I will be using 44mm throttle bodies made with Mikuni Solex #175 throttle plates, seals and hopfully throttle shafts too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I reckon the apprenticeship thing is a gauge to how many posts we have made. HIgh post count goes onto grease monkey from what I can figure out.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Yeah it is me Steve M.

Catch up more in amongst the forums.

Regards

Rodger