Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GZE power - what is it capable of with the charger

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default GZE power - what is it capable of with the charger

My ae101 Levin GTZ needs a rebuild and I want to keep the charger as a turbo conversion is too costly at the moment plus nothn beats a charger wine... right

what kind of power could I withdraw from the GZE with the charger.... the rings are buggered so I will rebuilding the whole motor and cleaning it up. what sort of parts should i consider?? type of pistons etc.... I want to be able to get into 13's at least is this possible with a charger?

sorry if this has been posted before I did do a search but nothing what i was lookn for

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: GZE power - what is it capable of with the charger

i dunno about 13's but gunmetal has an aw11 mr2 with a levin gze that is making 140kw's atws with the sc12 id say thats about the limit. It does have oversized valves, 272 deg cams extractors motec etc etc so there has been a few $$$ spent. To make that kind of power with a simple turbo conversion would cost alot less imho.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The standard gze pistons are forged, so the standard pistons should be fine.
    You should
    - Bolt on a big crank pulley for more boost.
    - Decent exhaust.
    - Front mount a decent intercooler.
    - Maybe go aftermarket management
    This should get you close to 150 rwhp and hopefully in the 13's (If anything high 13's)
    Remeber if you get an aftermarket ecu, the corresponding power will depend on how good the ecu is tuned.

from my experience with my car an aftermarket computer makes a world of difference to a 4agze i feel that some mild cams may be worth considering while the engine is apart maybee of 264 duration (unsure about lift) and a cleanup of the inlet and exhaust ports.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

15psi on the stock computer, should be good for roughly 280-300nm of torque at say 3000-3500rpm and will probably slowly drop off to 160 or so at redline.
    So I'd be guessing a max of about 150hp @ 3500rpm and 190hp @ 7000rpm @ wheels.
    It's a guess though.

I heard that bigport cams can make a difference on these as well?
    so what keep the stock pistons but just change the rings.. are there different types available for this motor or are rings just rings. what type ecu POWERPC?

nope i dont think they make a power fc for the gze. There are pleanty of aftermarket ecu's u can buy for the gze. Depends on how far your going to go with your mods. Something basic microtech's are cheap and effective i use a wolf 3d ver 4 plus and found it very good but it retails for more than the basic microtechs but i believe the microtechs come with a base map so you can save money on tuning.

keep the stock pistons but if they are a bit iffy (worn out damaged slightly) then replace them if you can as they are dirt cheap like 300 buks or so then i think rings are 150 buks.

sweet as... are the rings hard to get hold of? would anyone stock them like coventries

thanks for all your help guys..!!

your friendly local toyota dealership should be able to get them for you. If they cant get a hold of James Sloane at Castle Hill Toyota in sydney www.chtoyota.com.au their parts department is very helpfull and will send thing to you if need be.

thanks dude, thats a BIG help

does worn rings cause lost power at all?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

From what I have seen personally:

A stock smallport ZE with a 14psi pulley and a few mild mods (exhaust, front mount) usually makes in the region of 100-110rwkw

My stock smallport ZE with 10psi pulley, exhaust, frontmount and aftermarket ECU pushes 105-110rwkw.

I've seen a smallport ZE with 14psi pulley, 272 cams, camgears, front mount and factory ECU and it was dynoed at 120fwkw.

You tend not to see too many 4AGZEs making over 120kw at the wheels. It seems that making this sort of power is reasonably easy with bolt on bits. Getting past 120 will require more effort, like changing cams, going to the SC14, maybe a different intake manifold, aftermarket ECU etc etc.

Hen

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blwnlevin
    sweet as... are the rings hard to get hold of? would anyone stock them like coventries
    any aftermarket spare parts place can get you a set of chrome rings to suit the gze pistons. C1741.(standard or oversize) is what your after, i prefer ACL rings.

what will oversize ones do? give you more compresion?

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

if you just have the standard bore and useing the standard pistons, then you only need to give it a hone and use standard size rings.
    oversize rings are used when useing oversized pistons (or in some cases the end ring gap is too large).

Forum Member

The power figures that Hen has mentioned are exactly what I have come across, I think you would be doing pretty well to get your car running in the 13s with that sort of power.
    BLWNLEVIN by the sounds of your first post you idealy want to run quicker than 13s. If you want to go down the strip in a 13 or less with ease a turbo setup is the only way to go. I ran a low 13 with ease with a very basic turbo setup with a factory computer and 14 PSI. With a supercharger on the same boost same car and cooler etc I could only run a 14 Flat. I would recommend just keeping an eye out for someone selling a cheap turbo setup to suit your car.
    My old rides
    KE25(4AGTE), KE38(4AGTE) KE30(3T Blow through turbo).
    Current rides
    KE11(5K) Daily driver, KE15 Tubbed 13BT Street registered drag car (under construction).