Thread: Creaking/Clicking noise

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Default Creaking/Clicking noise

Need some help identifying a problem I've noticed on my A70 recently.

Under moderate braking, i get a creaking/clicking noise from the front drivers side. It doesn't appear to be affecting the braking performance (also does not appear under very heavy braking).

I was wondering if maybe it was something suspension related? Maybe worn/old ball joints? I'm really just guessing here and I appreciate my description is pretty vague.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Jim
    They call them fingers.... but i've never seen them fing!!!!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: Creaking/Clicking noise

What brake setup do you run?? is it stock?? do you have slotted or xdrilled rotors?? do you get any pulsing in your brake pedal??

First thing to do is get under the car, check the tension on ALL bolts in your braking system. Also, get a lever bar, and see how much movement is in your balljoints and bushes. If it is excessive, change the buggers. It could possibly be strut bar bushes, as the wheel will pull backward on these when braking. Possibly also a noise in your shockabsorber which is only present when at a certain height. hit the picks harder and a) the shocks are not at that point, and b) they probably dont move with road bumps.

Is the noise speed dependant, constant or random?? Is it different in different gears?? i wouldnt rule out a gearbox/drivetrain noise, as noises the 'appear' to come from one place, can actually be coming from under the car.

Another thing i can think of is that the calliper is being pulled in a wierd way toward your rim, and is tapping on a dag on the wheel.

If the noise is coming from your rotating parts, itll be quite quick, if its coming from suspension itll be quite slow.

Sorry for my vauge answer, but you gotta admit that you didnt include as many details as you have available to you.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Supra-Jim's Avatar

Thanks Owen

The brakes setup is stock.

The noise is slow (4-6 creaks at most, sometimes only one or two), the creak noise could almost be described like a metal binding noise.

Does not appear to be speed dependant, only occurs during braking (multiple creaks) however once or twice i have notice a single creak when rolling over a large bump/curb.

Sometimes i do notice a slight pulse in the brake pedal.
    They call them fingers.... but i've never seen them fing!!!!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I would say the pulse in your brake pedal is a bit of disc warp, probably not enough to worry you, but get your discs machined next time you change the pads. The creaking I can suggest you need to grease your bushes. Get some high pressure grease, and pull apart all bushes (ESPECIALLY urethane, aka nolathane, superpro etc) and grease anything which can move on them, such as pin inserts etc. Also give your ball joints a grease too. Sounds like a bush tho. Another place for noises like that is the top and bottom of your springs. These should have grease on them to get rid of creaking noises when they move about in their seats. They should also have rubber/urethane bushes at the top which will need to be greased.

creaking noises like these are the bain of my motoring pleasure. They are damned hard to get rid of once you get them.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.