Thread: nissan CA18 piston rings on 3SGE?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

Default nissan CA18 piston rings on 3SGE?

Can anybody tell me if they are compatible?

I ask becuase i purchased a "good" quality set of rings the box says they are CA18 rings for a nissan motor, that is fair enuf if they will also work on a 3sge, but when i look at the CA18 rings compared to the stock 3sge ones there is quite a difference, the toyota rings do have alot more depth to them (not the vertical thickness, but the thickness horizontally -or how far the rings sit in the piston groove)

Also when you close up the ca18 rings and the 3sge rings so there is no gap, the 3sge rings are noticably bigger. the place i buaght from, assure me these rings are good for the 3sge (gen 1)

Anybody shed any light on the matter?
    Last edited by urantia; 05-08-2006 at 02:07 AM.
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    97 Hiace AWD Super Custom 1kz turbo diesel (sold)
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: nissan CA18 piston rings on 3SGE?

If they fit, they fit, and if they don't, they don't.
    Bore, width & thickness - thickness horizontally.
    I wouldn't want a great deal of space between the ring and the bottom of its groove - the width. That extra space will take time to pressurize & make the ring work.
    It will need some space for the usual carbon build up.

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

hrmmm... acording to my old parts program (ACL bits) the bores between the 2 engines are different for starters (ca18 = 83mm, 3s-ge = 86mm), so are the ring widths and ring rad (raduis?) depths. oh, and different ACL part numbers.

allen, i didnt fit the rings to the pistons becuase they don't look like they will fit and i didn't want to risk not bieng able to get a refund if they were simply the wrong ones.

feral: thank you very much for that bit of info! that says it all really! these ca18 rings are not in anyway suitable for a 3s engine. The brand of rings starts with G, can't remember right now. But i will reply back with those details.

here is a pic tho of the rings.

98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4
    87 MA70 w/ 1JZ-GTE Manual Conversion GT (moss growing on roof deteriorating away but open to offers)

even by eye you can see the diameer of the rings are different, sounds to me like the place you bought them from are trying to cover up after selling you the incorrect rings.
    not on my own comp at the moment, but later today i'll post the ACL part number for the rings on a 3s-ge if you want.

IMO ACL are the way to go anyways.

Feral Thanx alot man, the place i buaght them off i think is a toymods forum sponser, either they are having e-mail problems are they are ignoring me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt coz these things happen. (PS ACL part number for 3sge gen1 rings would be thouroughly appreciated! plus rep too!)
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4

ACL part number for chrome rings on for the 3s-ge is C1838 (STD if standard size bore).
    i find these ACL chrome rings bed it better if i hone the cylinder with coarse 100 grit hone stones and then a light run with the 400 grit stones just to take the sharp edge off.

I'm going to order those ACL rings, thanx for the honing info too feral!
    And if anyone is after some STD ca18 rings i have the forsale cheap. (the brand is "GRANT")
    98 3rz-fe Hilux 4x4