Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filters and locations?

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

Default Re: Fuel filters and locations?

What type is the AE92 SX filter? Would it be suitable to mount between the surge tank and the high pressure pump?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool1
    What type is the AE92 SX filter? Would it be suitable to mount between the surge tank and the high pressure pump?
    High pressure filter isnt it? If so no.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, its a high pressure filter. Mine is mounted post VL pump
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Damm. So whats a good filter to mount before the high pressure pump?

Anything that will not be restrictive flow wise as it will cause vaporisation of fuel within the pump and kill it quickly.

Most of these filters are essentially gauze screen "strainer" filters and are in little plastic tubes. I have seen Harley filters adapted & used... Maybe in the bike world there may be a metal cased variety? I dont know but thats why i suggested asking bike shops.

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

As already stated efi pumps don't like sucking through filters.

I would use a gauze filter before low pressure pump ( this is not necessary with many
    pumps as they contain an in built screen but it is often easier to replace or clean a
    filter than pull a pump apart to get to the screen. )
    After the low pressure pump I would use a paper element filter such as a Ryco Z200.
    Ryco do afilter similar to the Z200 but with female threads so if you want to run -an
    fittings you can screw in speedflow nipples.To sort this out you need a Ryco and
    a Speedflow catalogue to make sure compatible threads are available.
    I don,t think you need filters before or after your efi pump because your only source of contamination will be from your swirl pot or efi pump if they fall apart.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    I have a 100 micron strainer type filter before my high pressure pump. It cost me $15 from Speed Technology.
    If you are having trouble sourcing these, I can get you a couple next time I am out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by off-road
    I don,t think you need filters before or after your efi pump because your only source of contamination will be from your swirl pot or efi pump if they fall apart.
    Your thoughts would appear to be in direct opposition to all car manufacturers' basic standards. They all run a strainer in tank and a 4 micron post-pump filter.

If you are having trouble sourcing these, I can get you a couple next time I am out that way.

Your thoughts would appear to be in direct opposition to all car manufacturers' basic standards. They all run a strainer in tank and a 4 micron post-pump filter.

They also do not run a low pressure pump or a swirl pot.In the set up we are talking about, the efi pump is drawing from a pot of fuel that has already been filtered.The reason they put the filter after the pump in factory set ups is because efi pumps don't like sucking
    through fine filters.

But remember the filters before the low pressure pump is only a strainer and not a fine filter.

I run 3 filters - a conventional 12 micron filter pre low pressure pump, a 100 micron strainer before the high pressure pump
    GT, are these filters cleanable or just the toss away type? And what are they made from? wot the 12micron filter be safe under the car?
    Hell got any pics of them?

But remember the filters before the low pressure pump is only a strainer and not a fine filter.
    In whose set up?
    I recomended a paper filter AFTER low pressure pump.

Quote Originally Posted by off-road
    In whose set up?
    I recomended a paper filter AFTER low pressure pump.
    Yeah it would work fine like that, and doing it that way is protecting your EFi pump more than a system only utilising a "strainer" style before the pump...

But... 100micron is more than enough for the pump, and the fine filter is really about protecting your injectors & cylinders to a lesser extent. Therefore IMHO the fine filter should be as close as practicle to the thing for which it is required, thus the physical possibility for contamination to occur from anything in swirl pot, lines, pump etc is almost zero.

Many will not consider the engine bay practicle for temperature reasons? I think there is usually a way to shield it from heat under there, and fuel is more liekly to vaporise in a hot line anyway, due to surface area to volume ratio. If you must put it elsewhere, after the EFI pump means there is only a length of fuel line as possible contamination source which is the next best thing.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

GT: what fittings are on the ends of the strainer which you have. The only strainers which i can find now are like 3/16" fittings, almost like a vac line, pretty pointless. My old strainer cracked one of the fittings off at some point when it was rattling around in my toolkit.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

See the filter between the surge tank and the EFI pump? Mine looks exactly like that except the fittings are 10mm (or thereabouts).

Steve Newing (from Speed Tech) says they are a repeat use jobbie - just flush them in the opposite direction.

Filters cost bugger all relative to the pumps and injectors - seems like preventative maintenance to me. Given that scale will develop in the surge tank over time, just seems silly to not have some basic protection for the EFI pump. Be a shame for a $200 pump to fail because someone was remiss enough to delete a $15 filter (that is reusable).

Ok. So someone has suggested I be a little more helpful. The attachment shows a schematic for a fuel delivery system. The 12 micron filter is any filter that you might use on any carby car. The 100 micron filter is the strainer type that seems to be causing all sorts of angst and the 4 micron filter is just your convention EFI filter. Short of doing your conversion for you, I can't be more helpful.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 19-01-2006 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added an attachment

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

A engine oil filter used as a fuel filter??

http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/...0&y=600&fill=0

Thoughts?