Thread: 14 or 15 inch steel rims for ta22

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 14 or 15 inch steel rims for ta22

Was after some info on tyre size for my ta22. I am having trouble finding another car that has the same stud pattern as my ta22 that runs 14 or 15 inch steel rims, would prefer 15 but im getting desperate. I need them so i can mount my front runners for the drags. Has anybody come across thin steel rims that will fit, if so what car were they off and did you need to modify them at all. Even a list of cars with the same stud pattern would be very helpfull. Ever tyre shop i have spoken to said they dont list a ta22.

Many thanks jeffro

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Default Re: 14 or 15 inch steel rims for ta22

I've got some Hyundai 15" steelies in 4x114.3, but the offset isn't exactly brilliant for a TA22...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Have you tried space saver spares from nissan silvias / cefiros or the like?

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend, but I was going to get a set of Magna wheels (the boxy flying-door-wedge first generation kind) which are 15" and 4x114.3 and fit new outers to them in 7" or so, correcting the offset as I went. You could do the same with narrower outers. Should only cost $20/rim for the magna wheels and $80/rim for the new outers.

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Wheels from a sprinter fit, they'd be reasonably common? Same offset as well I think by memory (don't flame me if I'm wrong on the offset!), stud pattern definitely fits.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Get an old set of stock RA23/RA28 14inch wheels, they'll fit and they'll be dirt cheap.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

:( Backyard Mechanic stahlz_ae86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

Get an old set of stock RA23/RA28 14inch wheels, they'll fit and they'll be dirt cheap.

seeyuzz
    river
    Seconded, my cousin runs RA28 rims on his TA22.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

S13's have 4x114.3 wheels, so options galore there.

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

loads of cars have the same stud pattern 114.3 x 4 pcd, most commonly the older rwd jap cars.

most also have crap looking wheels as stock so its either old aftermarket rims from the era which can be found easily or some cars actually came out with decent rims from factory.

you need to be worried that the offset will give you the same backspace as your original wheels, as it needs to be the same backspace as your original wheels or quite close to. and also not too much wider either (rim width) else it will rub or hit on the guards when you run normal or wider tyres on the rim.

backspace is the distance from the wheel mounting face (which mounts onto the car hub)
    to the lip of the wheel rim which is next to the strut. so if you try to put on a wheel with more backspace than you car has, it will hit the strut before the mounting face can mount onto the hub, ie the rim lip will hit your strut before you the wheel will go all the way onto the wheel studs on the hub.

now this is also affected by what width tyres you choose as the tyre also can hang over the wheel rim lip a lot, so dont get super wide tyres as the rim that fitted without a tyre may hit when it is fitted with a wide tyre.

the same offset on different width wheels will give you a different backspace, most rims are advertised with offset and have it stamped on the rim. you really would want the backspace measurement for your car but you can work it out using a formula if you need to. the backspace is the same for the same width rims with the same offset.

the offset on a 6 inch wide rim that would be a suitable backspace for your ta22 would be a +20 offset or so, but best check with the ta22 boys to be sure as it could be +15 or +25 which is a small variation.

factory car mags that are good:

skyline dr30 114.3x4pcd 15x6inch +25 offset

mz10 soarer 114.3pcd 15x6inch +20 offset

datsun 180b/ fireball rims 114.3pcd 14x6 +20? offset

hotwires (common old aftermarket rim ) 114.3x4pcd 13 to 14 inch x 5 to 7 inch
    +5 to +40 offset

jellybeans (common old aftermarket rim ) 114.3x4pcd 13 to 14 inch x 5 to 6 inch
    +15 to +20 offset

dragway common old aftermarket rim ) 114.3x4pcd 13 to 14 inch x 5 to 6 inch
    +15 to +25 offset

also remember a certain rim width may accept a range of tyre widths. its not advised to choose a tyre out of the range.

and also what people forget is a wide tyre on a narrower rim may rub on the car and a narrower tyre on a wider rim may not, they blame the rim specs which is not true.
    Last edited by styler; 23-08-2006 at 10:26 AM.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Here is a link to a site with info on oe wheel specs from different manufacturers which I have found useful
    http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse...._Reference.cfm
    and another one to fill in some gaps
    http://www.coolcars.org/wheels/adapt...lt_Pattern.htm
    Last edited by madmont; 08-08-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberSquall
    Don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend, but I was going to get a set of Magna wheels (the boxy flying-door-wedge first generation kind) which are 15" and 4x114.3 and fit new outers to them in 7" or so, correcting the offset as I went. You could do the same with narrower outers. Should only cost $20/rim for the magna wheels and $80/rim for the new outers.

where abouts do they cut and weld rims?

thanks

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I'm looking at buying some 14 inch mags for my ta22 as well - does anyone know if there are low profile tyres available in 14 inch so the outside diameter isn't affected???

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

like lots.

tyre size code is: tread width / aspect ratio(as a % of tread width) R rim size

so a 195/60R14 is 195mm wide tread, 117 mm sidewall height (195 X 60%) Radial for a 14inch rim.

So Rim size X 25.4 ( to convert to mm) plus 2 times sidewall height will give a reasonable idea of rollimg diameter.

Some manufacturers seem to get a bit adventurous with width but it is close.

regards
    jon

"motoring enthusiast" Backyard Mechanic mideon_696's Avatar

r31 skyline/pintara have 114.3 x 4 aswell, come to think of it, so does my rolla, but i doubt my old wheels would have a suitable offset
    No Signature.

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c2888
    where abouts do they cut and weld rims?

thanks

Dan
    Ajax Wheels in Moorabbin