Thread: RT132 Corona - T Series, diff noise?

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Unhappy RT132 Corona - T Series, diff noise?

Hi,

My daily RT132 liftback has developed a noise in the rear in the last couple of weeks. It's a low rumble that is only noticeable from about 60km/h up. Its not loud and it's not a clunky noise. It varies with road speed.

There is the correct level of oil in the diff and no sign of leaks. I'm the second owner of the car and it's a clean example with 130,000km on the clock. It was serviced by Toyota from new until I bought it in Nov last year. I haven't been doing burnouts or anything and I doubt the 87yo lady I bought it from was either. It's a T series diff.

I'm not sure if it's the diff or simply a wheel bearing, as I've never had a RWD car with a rear end noise before. Any ideas ?

If it is the diff should I rebuild it or simply swap in another second hand one?

Cheers,
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Default Re: RT132 Corona - T Series, diff noise?

Quote Originally Posted by bnicho
    Hi,

My daily RT132 liftback has developed a noise in the rear in the last couple of weeks. It's a low rumble that is only noticeable from about 60km/h up. Its not loud and it's not a clunky noise. It varies with road speed.

There is the correct level of oil in the diff and no sign of leaks. I'm the second owner of the car and it's a clean example with 130,000km on the clock. It was serviced by Toyota from new until I bought it in Nov last year. I haven't been doing burnouts or anything and I doubt the 87yo lady I bought it from was either. It's a T series diff.

I'm not sure if it's the diff or simply a wheel bearing, as I've never had a RWD car with a rear end noise before. Any ideas ?

If it is the diff should I rebuild it or simply swap in another second hand one?

Cheers,

well, my guess is that it's just the norm toyota whiney diff. welcome to the club!

if it's anything else, it could be the bearings.
    beer me!

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

without seeing it in the flesh sounds like a wheel bearing, unless your 100% sure you can hear it in the diff?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

thats easy,if its a constant noise then it would be wheel bearings.An easy test is go for a run in it get it up to speed then put your clutch in and let it free wheel.If the noise is still there its definitely wheel bearings cause if it was the diff it would stop when the clutch goes in(no load on diff).
    Cheers Brett.

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The noise doesn't change whether I'm on or off the throttle, or when the clutch is engaged or disegaged. So it appears it IS just a wheel bearing. Will work out which side it is (pretty sure it's the right one) and change it this weekend.

Cheers,
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...