Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small upgrade - SC12 onto 7AFE

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Small upgrade - SC12 onto 7AFE

I know I have asked many simular questions before. BUT...

(This time) I'm wondering, can I just bolt a SC12 onto my 7AFE anr run low boost like 5-7psi boost, and use a piggy back computer such as a E-Manage or another suitable piggyback (suggestions?) What else would i need?

Basically what would i require to run a SC12 on a 7AFE at low boost. I know i won't end up with a massive increase in power, but any extra power is going to help as is the increase in torque

- SC12 = $500ish
    - Emanage $500 (I have a mate who owns a performance business who can source these cheap )
    - Custom mounting = $200-500 (mainly labour, so much cheaper if i do it myself or with my mates help )
    - bigger timing belt (i would run the supercharger off the timing belt right?)

What else? and is it feisable?

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Default Re: Small upgrade - SC12 onto 7AFE

thats a negatory on running the supercharger off the timing belt buddy

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

It would require some customisation but i could see it working. You should be able to get a charger for even less than stated also.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

seeing as you're not using the GZE intake manifold, i'd suggest an intercooler. High compression isn't ideal for boost, so the more you can do to control it (e.g. boost-retareded timing, cooler air-charge, etc) the better you'll cope.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

I think it'd run great on a bit of boost, see the sportivo turbo they did in the ae112. Only a small amount of boost, unopened engine. They managed to get 115kw and 237nm, not super, but not too shabby . A great little thing to drive i reckon.

The emanage is quite a powerful little unit, just it'll take a knowledgable person to fully harness it's capabilities. And in australia we have a plethora of aftermarket management systems so no one has really bothered to play with the emanage.

I think that the sc12 would be perfectly suited to the 7afe, making it feel like a 2.2 NA motor. A 4AGZE puts out somewhere around the 190nm mark, so a 7AFE would get more.

You will need more injector too, the 365s from a 4agze, or the 440s from 7mgte/3sgte. Don't forget to add the supercharger drag to your injector calculation, i've read that it's in the 30hp range.

There was a calculator on sixworks site where you could work out the amount of boost from the pulley sizes. I'm guessing that you'd at least need the 4agze pulley to spin the SC12 at a decent rate.

It might end up costing as much as a 4agze halfcut, so it might be worthwhile to do a proper "how much is it all gonna cost me?" in detail and decide from there.

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Does the 7A-FE share a simliar block casting (externally) to the 4A? If so, you could use the standard GZE SC mount, intake and top plumbing to make a really easy job of it. But I'd go for the SC14 to be honest. It'll make more power, lower temps and not be working as hard.

RM.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

you may not need to get new injectors at all depending on how big the 7afe injectors are and how much more power than stock you are going to make by the sounds of things it wouldnt be a huge jump in power.
    If you need to upgrade 365cc 4agze injectors will be pleanty these can support about 150kw atw

the sc14 is probably alot better suited to the 7afe the sc12 runs out of puff at 6k as it is on a 4agze.

you should certainly look into intercooling as with high compression you want to eliminate any chance of detonation

Something you might also need to look at possibly is the clutch the s/c adds a decent whack of torque that could make your stock clutch cry enough

the s/c runs off the water pump pulley

yeah i'm not expecting a huge increase in power... but any increase is going to be make the car nicer to drive... as will the increase in torque.

I'm not sure what capicty the standard injectors are... but i guess the 4AGZE ones would be a good upgrade... i would need to make sure it will get enough fuel

OK SC14 sounds not bad... (I already knew of them but i was sure if they would be suitable... how much is a SC14 worth?)

So far the parts list is as follows:
    supercharger - SC12 or SC14 $500ish (sounds like i could get a SC12 for less than that, its been a while since i've looked at the prices on them)
    piggyback back ecu - Emanage - $500ish (is there any better options?)
    Injectors - $??? (at a wild guess $200 for 4?)
    Custom mounting - $200ish for materials
    intercooler - $250 (ebay or 2nd hand stock)
    piping, belts - $250-500

What have i missed?

Can anyone give me any info on this?

"motoring enthusiast" Backyard Mechanic mideon_696's Avatar

very interesting idea.
    i got the same motor, was gunna chage it, but if i can do this upgrade "on the cheap", i will.

intercoolers can be had cheaper than, just gotta know what to look for. stock supra would be enough, not sure on cost ther though. have seen saab turbo stock intercoolers for less than 150. and sc12's for as low as 250.

ask yourself this though, can u install a 4agze yourself?
    if im wrong, correct me asap, 1500 or less
    No Signature.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by birdie
    yeah i'm not expecting a huge increase in power... but any increase is going to be make the car nicer to drive... as will the increase in torque.

I'm not sure what capicty the standard injectors are... but i guess the 4AGZE ones would be a good upgrade... i would need to make sure it will get enough fuel

OK SC14 sounds not bad... (I already knew of them but i was sure if they would be suitable... how much is a SC14 worth?)

So far the parts list is as follows:
    supercharger - SC12 or SC14 $500ish (sounds like i could get a SC12 for less than that, its been a while since i've looked at the prices on them)
    piggyback back ecu - Emanage - $500ish (is there any better options?)
    Injectors - $??? (at a wild guess $200 for 4?)
    Custom mounting - $200ish for materials
    intercooler - $250 (ebay or 2nd hand stock)
    piping, belts - $250-500

What have i missed?

Can anyone give me any info on this?
    ive seen sc14's for less than $500 so thats a generous budget.
    4agze injectors should be less than 200 i bought 440cc injectors from a 7m for $150 and i sold my 4agze ones for $100 well actually megz got them for free as he still hasnt paid me for them........

You should be able to get a decent ebay cooler for arround that and thats a decent estimate for the piping and belts however the custom brackets needed to mount the s/c may be a tad more

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

My opinion is that as outlined above, yes, it could be made to work. However mounting the SC will be a bitch, taking time, money or both. So this could make the project un-worthwhile.

From my reading (no hands on experience with 7As) the 7A block is a little taller to cope with the extra stroke. On 4AGZEs the top SC mount is on the intake manifold which is mounted to the head. So even if the lower SC mount from a 4AGZE fitted the 7A block, the upper mount would sit too high (if 4AGZE intake manifold fits 7A).

Also bear in mind that the SC and piping take up a fair amount of room, so things in the engine bay could well have to be rearranged to fit it all in.

So I think it depends if you want a project or a bit of inprovement to what needs to be a reliable daily driven car.

Hen

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

if u're thinking of value for money for this mod, i think u'll be sadly mistaken dude...

i can see where u're going with this, but don't expect too much.. especially if u're playing it safe on a conservative tune... i've seen it done and the results were okay.. but the amount of money spent and the percentage of power increase proved power can be gained through other cheaper means...
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

so it still appears that a silvertop 4AGE (with boost attached ) or a 4AGZE would be the best options?

Would either of those be a straight bolt in? Could I get away with just the engine and motor? or is there other stuff i'd require?

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Seriously mate, if it's your daily, your far better off getting a new car for the money your about to pour into this one.

I know, I've done it myself and it was a STUPID waste of money, but it's done now.

Unless it's just a toy that can sit off the road for ages (like mine) then it's a horrible waste of time and money.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Your generous budget is a good thing cause you will find some stuff that you havent thought of and will need and most of that stuff you've got won't cost that much so youve got a bit of a buffer so it looks as though youll have no financial trouble if you work from that.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing